SUBMIT IDEAS

Records, publishing, shop etc.
ravanwin

SUBMIT IDEAS

Post by ravanwin » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:12 am

As the rebirth of SUBMIT is eminient I'd like to start listing ideas here. I have a bunch of stuff I have been thinking about especially since we will be increasing our size to 60 pages.

I think we're going to need more than "just prose and poetry" to fill the magazine. Now, we cannot compete with the london review of books or the tls (well, maybe nick can, but few others could and i think there is probably more of a market for more "fun" cultural writing, if that makes sense?)

So, I think we need to brainstorm on what can regularly fill the pages besides stories and poems.

Ideas?

ryan

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:18 pm

Submit: The Begining of a Manifesto:

Please keep in mind that this is just one opinion of one member of the working group (me). I've spoken to a lot of people about this but we can discuss ideas etc. here.

NOW:

Submit, we hope, will act as the artistic mouthpiece of the forest and will represent, as much as our space reperesnts, all manner of artistic, cultural and rediculous endevors.

The original focus of Submit was to be on prose and poetry with the idea of making a magazine which is accessible to the public (i.e. non-intimidatiing / affordable / presented in a unique way that encourages readership).

With a desire to expand and our page number and get an audience outside the cafe we will endevor to include more than "just whingy poems devoid of form or style".

We view writing and art as a means to understand, interpret and (sometimes but not alwyas) change our notions of the world we live in. Writing can make us feel more beautiful, more empowerd. It can make us feel ugly and disenfranchised.

What I propose is that Submit will publish high quality writing and ideas of all types and forms that reflect all aspects of our collective (sourced within our collective or found in writings of others that have a similar aestetic spirit.)

In practice:
New works from emerging writers will feature.

10 pages of art per issue. Focusing on one person's art work. This can be chosen by the V.A. WG (and subject to editorial acceptance). Also, we will strive to have the art interact with the work. (For instance, a new poem created by Ben Morris that interacts or is inspired by, say, one of Pogo's photos. In this way we will highlight the community our our space and the uniqe possibilities of cross-artistic exploration we are given thanks to our space. Other possibilities are a series of drawings based on Danny's Songs or a Photo Essay that takes us through the world of Kyon and Dymes etc...)

Politics: Submit believes in politics and feels it is important to write about them. We will try to find articles (or commision the Community WG to find) articles that explain difficult issues clearly, pieces that attempt to find a soloution for a problem rather than just wallowing in it, articles that are factually correct. We will only publish conspiricy theories if they are either a) hilarious or b) true. In terms of political content I believe Submit can tackle larger issues in an irreverent yet responible way. We can have the feel of CIA nights in terms of humor but shouldn't fall too deeply into our own sense of irony or powerlessness. However, an article explaining why Zapatista Coffee is GOOD. (with gimped up photo) could be an excellent piece. Explaining difficult political issues via The Burrito Metaphor could also yield interesting results. We will aim to deal with politics in a way that is clever, understandable and engaging. Sean or Swithun could write about the importance of open source softwar / linux. We could have a piece written about the issue of copyleft and non-copyright material. We can fuck with the banks, the landowners... etc.

Academia / Reviews / Science: Most literary magazines have long pages of reviews and academic essays on a varity of complex subjects. Submit will feel the need to include this type of essay where possible BUT will not be satisfied with dry intellectualism. We will provide a forum where "academic / intellectual" writer's can discuss pop-culture. Dr. Louise Milne on the importance of Battle Star Galactica. A defense of Dan Brown by Neil Beever. (?) Helen Fitzhenry would like to write about the destruction of Feminist Ideology from Bridget Jone's Diary (the book) compared to The Bridget Jones Diary (the film). Duncan may be able to break down some of his work so that the interested lay man would be interested in it. Same with Jon Butt. Chris can explain his love for the brain.

There is also scope for publishing "workshop" ideas and lists:
For instance: it would be great to publish a list of our favorite John Cage Quotes and Experiments. Martin could make an excellent list of fun things to do with electricity. Tim or Chris could do a piece on unique building projects they have done in their homes. Dai and Dan could have competitive lists of things they have found in skips. Dirk could write an essay on the resononant sound of a room experiment.

Obviously, there is room for overlap and nothing is set in stone. I believe the Submit format should be as flexible as The Forest format in that if we have a selection of excellent poetry but NO academic articles we would simply publish an issue without academia involved.

I will post a list of some story ideas or ways to consider stories for anyone to start looking at.

I hope this brief outline of what Submit will strive (and probably fail) to be will help the Forest WG appove our budget.

It is my belief that the forest is a unique space that comes from a long line of artistic and avant gaurd places. I believe as we have surrivived for so long and have partied so hard it is essential NOW that the collective begin to move beyond our own walls, to take the art and madness and insperation of our experiment to more and more people. To inspire, to freak out, to disgust and to amaze. I believe it is the duty of the forest to support this project as much as financially possible.

Ryan

Jane

Post by Jane » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:40 pm

i also think we have a duty to fund this.

it is nice having an amazing space where people who come to us can see events and art, but we are also people with lots to say and it is right to do something with that. and take it beyond the forest walls to where people might disagree.

also >>> political writing which isn't whiny (i.e. positive&exciting actions like we are doing in forest by setting up alternatives rather than just complaining on&on about the government not listening and taking us to war and trident and everything else, that is reiterated in every paper every day, the other is not something you get to read enough.)

xxx
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:32 am

I'll take the bait concerning a showdown with Dan, I would like to extend the remit to a living cheap in an age of over abundance.
Think I'll sit it under The Budget Jones' Diary banner.
If it proves worthy the first installment will be called
Dole or No Dole: You Can't Negotiate With The GiroGeneration.
Pep Up The Turmoil

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:59 am

Fucking awesome. I am so very into this!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:21 pm

truly ace.