Post by swithun » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:10 pm

Aldi is selling bread makers.

Deluxe Breadmaker each 24.99 GBP

Create your very own bread the simple way. There's no need to
knead - just plug in, pop yourmixture in, and watch your
loaves rise beautifully.

* 850W
* Capacity: 750g, 1,000g, 1,350g loaves
* 11 settings: basic programme, white bread,wholegrain bread, quick-baking, sweet pastry, dough,
short-baking, jam, sandwich bread,baking
* 134 programs
* Cool touch housing
* Timer
* Browning control (light, medium,dark)
* Keep warm function (1 hour)
* Extra large window to monitor progress
* LCD display
* Memory function
* Baking pan
* 2 dough hooks with Teflon(R) anti-stick coating
* Measuring cup and spoon

more here

I know we buy from nice people, but it would be much cheaper and more convenient to make our own.

Any ideas? This bad boy goes on sale 10am Sunday 17th.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:30 pm

How much extra people power will it take? And counter space?

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:59 pm

Counter space is more of a premium than people power. It only takes a couple of minutes to chuck the stuff in and turn it on. It could be kept under the counter (hand sink?) when not in use. The night manager could stick it on to be done for the morning, perhaps. Imagine coming in at 10am to the smell of bread.

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:47 pm

Sorry to be ever the bubble-buster but the bread made in these things has a cavity in the centre where the kneader is, which is fine at home but you can't really sell the middle pieces of the loaf. Think how much will get chucked when no body will even eat the bread ends. Plus, running at the capacity we'd need it to, it'd never last especially as this is a pretty cheap model. I only ever eat bread from my Russel and Hobbes(C) breadmaster(TM) funkomatic(R), but it's not really suitable for industrial use. Home batch baking in the oven would be more feasible. They are pretty damn energy efficient though, for electric contraptions.

chombee

Post by chombee » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:48 am

I think it would only make one small loaf at a time, which means we'd have to run it all day and night to keep up with demand. I want one at home though.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

swithun

Post by swithun » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:49 pm

I've got one, so I know all about the hole in the middle. I can't think it would be unapetising, like the ends of the current bread are to some people.

It does make just one at a time. I don't know what the mimimum baking time is - on my model it is 1 hour 55. But the Aldi model will make big loaves, so we might only need 1 per day.

I know it isn't such a big brand. The one I have is a top of the range thing that cost abot 100 pounds 3 years ago. But I would be disappointed if the Aldi one didn't make a loaf a day for a good while.

And if it wasn't for a pesky comma, it would make jam sandwiches.

chris

Post by chris » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:21 pm

sounds amazing, get it!
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

swithun

Post by swithun » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:05 pm

I won't be in Edinburgh Sunday, but the nearest Aldi is here. The 30 bus is what I would take from Newington - make sure it doesn't terminate at Newcraighall, or you will have a bit of a walk into Mussleburgh.

These things sell out quickly - when I wanted a raclette grill from Lidl, they had sold out in an hour and I had to go all the way to Gorgie. That is a lesson for anyone.

Someone must be at a loose end tomorrow morning, or up from the night before having drunk too much raspberry lemonade.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:06 pm

It's not that a hole would be unappetising, but if it's big, will we need to give them three pieces of beans on toast? Two slices for soup?

We would probably need a couple of loaves/day. It might actually be less waste than the way we do it now, as I'd hate to imagine just how much moldy bread has been thrown out over the years... The amount of bread we use can vary quite a lot from week to week, but our bread order is always the same unless a day is cancelled because we're getting backed up.

How much money do you think we'll save?

I do like the Engine Shed...

I want baguettes for making sandwiches!

swithun

Post by swithun » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:44 am

I don't think it will be a big hole. Especially given the thickness of the slices we produce. We wouldn't need an extra slice to compensate.

We pay over a pound per loaf just now. Organic flour is about a pound for 1.5kg. Yeast is about 10p per loaf - less if we use enough to buy tins instead of sachets. Throw in some seeds and it is less than half what we pay.

It might have paid for itself within a month.

Jane

Post by Jane » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:43 am

ooh, get it! and if it doens't work out in the kitchen i will buy it off forest for my flat
xxx
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:50 pm

color me dubious.