new proposal for a mural

Front of House, garden etc.
Kata

new proposal for a mural

Post by Kata » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:54 pm

"Dear Forest

I saw you are looking for proposals to decorate the stairs in the cafe. I have some ideas how I could do this and have attached a sketch of one idea. The characters in the sketch show are based upon the observations of people that I have drawn in cafes in Edinburgh and I thought it would be a nice idea for the stairs.

If you like the idea and style I can do some final sketches for you to have a look at.

Thanks

Mar"

I think It could look interesting,but I told him that the stairs have already been taken, I think he meant the stairs coming from the office to the basement, but I will meet him and show him what kind of free spaces we have, and see how he would do the mural.

What do you think of it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kata

Re: new proposal for a mural

Post by Kata » Sun May 09, 2010 7:13 pm

more pictures!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 pm

not thrilled...

nix

Post by nix » Mon May 10, 2010 2:29 pm

I love it.

chris

Post by chris » Mon May 10, 2010 8:47 pm

alex mcandrews is apparently gonna start soon...
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Kata

Post by Kata » Sat May 15, 2010 4:36 pm

It wouldnt be on around the staircase where thr black and white mural is, but on one of the walls in the basement. Is Alex Mcandrews going to do the stairs?
So are we for or against it? I think there are some boring murals downstairs in the basement, that have been there for at least a year and this would be nice for a change even though its not that exciting or thrilling. What do you think?

nix

Post by nix » Sat May 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Alex is confirmed for the wall on the stairs.

he says he will start soon.

This artist looks as if she is competent, and Kata says she is keen and enthusiastic.

It was decided by the FoH Group a long while ago that the murals on the basement walls needed changing soon, as there has been little change for a while...

lets engage with artists and get fresh wall on the art! (if you know what I mean).

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Sat May 15, 2010 6:10 pm

really don't like this one. but agree, it has been a while.

chris

Post by chris » Sat May 15, 2010 7:02 pm

be cool to start by going over the rubbish murals, and leaving the good/ok ones.??
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

nix

Post by nix » Sun May 16, 2010 2:53 pm

be cool to start by going over the rubbish murals, and leaving the good/ok ones.??
The point is that, as usual, it is tricky to get artists interested in doing murals.

there is a knock on effect.. when one person starts, others will follow.

all the murals in the basement are due for renewal.

All of us should try to find artists and encourage Art in Forest.

The reason Artists are now asked to post proposals on this forum is so hat there is an opportunity for folk to raise hands and say "I think this is a bad proposal and it will be detrimental to our space"

Nobody is saying this about this one, so she should be encouraged and supported..

No?

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Sun May 16, 2010 7:01 pm

I think this is a bad proposal and it will be detrimental to our space,
Ryan

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Sun May 16, 2010 8:25 pm

i don't like this stuff much for murals. maybe a little card or something but a mural of this stuff? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

dan

Post by dan » Sun May 16, 2010 9:01 pm

also not into it. soz.
d x
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

nix

Post by nix » Sun May 16, 2010 10:38 pm

OK.

we will tell the artist.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon May 17, 2010 1:42 pm

re: getting a mural ---

So it seems like we need to talk about how to get good murals for the future. Normally, I wouldn't have taken a stand on this one but it just feels that the forest has a chance to look really awesome for summer and it would be a shame to put up something we don't admire.

I may have a few friends I can call to see about a mural. I would suggest that we seem to agree agree that the stairs up to the hall and the stairs down to the loo and the main cafe are are the primo and important mural slots which need more careful thought and consideration. I think we need to be proactive on these things, meaning calling and engaging with artists whom we like. Going to exhibits, seeing what people are drawing and asking them. I also think we should pay, since we paid magda, if we ask people directly. It is good to pay good people for their time and skills. I think Alex should get £50 -- this will ensure a higher quality, show respect, and increase the likelyhood that people will finish the job. I know this is contentious.

Since we want to change the mural downstairs -- I suggest contacting The Come Collective guys, my friend Katy is also pretty awesome and may have some ideas, and I'm sure others have some thoughts. Also --- I would propose --- perhaps this is mikey's first assignment when he rerturns, or maybe Martin McKenna could design something and vollies could paint it. There are a lot of options --- we just need to get on the phone.

Would anyone like me to call Katy / Come Collective and see if they can send some images / ideas?

Now - For The Future - we should have posters and info on our website clearly stating what we want in a mural and exciting people to do it. In some ways I agree with Nix that if people see the mural changing and art happening, it will make art happen. However, I think that a bad mural, bad art, puts other "serious" artists off because the space seems amateur if we allow it. There is space for the amatuer, which we agree, is the basement walls etc.

Anyway -- someone make a poster. I'd write something like:

We Need Murals

The Forest is not seeking mediocre, self indulgent, fluffy or pretentious murals.

The Forest is not seeking murals about peace, politics or the environment.

We are not seeking any work that makes reference to:

* yellow suns, blue skies or any trees / forests.
* flowers, swirls, Celtic roots, or happy bunnies.
* cafe culture or restaurants -- no coffee mugs, tea cups, wine glasses.
* words like: peace, love, harmony.

If you are still interested in painting our walls -- we'll give you free food and drink, pay for your supplies and tell the world how pleased we are we found you.

nix

Post by nix » Mon May 17, 2010 2:06 pm

Wait a min...

I thought that the mural spaces in the Bacement where to be allocated by the FoH Group?

and the 'Primo' ones by C&E WG?

No?

Anyway -- someone make a poster.
this is an Action Point that Kata took on. We are printing a postcard to send out to orgs. and artists places, colleges, ECA... ect.

Kata and I are meeting this week to finanise it and get it to print.

we we put it up here for approval.

oh, .. and I talk to every artist I meet about working in our space.
think Alex should get £50 -- this will ensure a higher quality, show respect, and increase the likelyhood that people will finish the job. I know this is contentious.
I would rather we offer them more money for materials, it stands at £20 for basement murals and £40 for the 'primo' spots.
But whatever... I'm always up for spending money.

We Need Murals

The Forest is not seeking mediocre, self indulgent, fluffy or pretentious murals.

The Forest is not seeking murals about peace, politics or the environment.

We are not seeking any work that makes reference to:

* yellow suns, blue skies or any trees / forests.
* flowers, swirls, Celtic roots, or happy bunnies.
* cafe culture or restaurants -- no coffee mugs, tea cups, wine glasses.
* words like: peace, love, harmony.

If you are still interested in painting our walls -- we'll give you free food and drink, pay for your supplies and tell the world how pleased we are we found you.
This is how you feel, Ryan, and I always take these views into account when talking to artists.

thanks!
:D

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon May 17, 2010 2:19 pm

"I thought that the mural spaces in the Bacement where to be allocated by the FoH Group? and the 'Primo' ones by C&E WG? No?"

I have no idea. I think we succeed most when we are proactive, and we go out and ask people directly for things. If people want, I will make a few calls. We can then have a consensus about the art we want. We can pay for it if we want to or try to get away on the cheap.

I think if you want to make a poster / have made one --- it helps to give clear objectives. This stops time wasters and encourages good people. In my experience in publications, a good strongly worded pitch is half the battle and has increased quality. It shows seriousness and thought. I'm not an artist but I I wrote my opinions down for collective discussion / feedback not for "I keep them in mind" --- if people disagree, they can say and we can revise the text. But, I say, let's put it out there -- publicly -- that we, collectively, are not interested in murals that involve certain tropes. I am sure the kunsters can phrase some of this in better art speak, again, encouraging those who may consider us hippy amateurs. I, for one, think it would help.

I'm not sure how many proposals we get a year, but it doesn't seem that often. I admit, my eyes haven't been on this so I could be wrong.

Anyway - l'll make some calls if anyone reckons it won't be a waste of my time.

dan

Post by dan » Mon May 17, 2010 4:02 pm

call the zapatistas
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue May 18, 2010 6:59 pm

my friend katy may be interested in doing the stairs up to the hall pre-august....

http://katythomson.co.uk/index.htm

thoughts?
r

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Fri May 21, 2010 2:40 pm

i like the city tree thing