Using the Cave 10am-2pm Mon-Friday on a regular basis

Action room, screen printing, darkroom, Bristo Hall, Cave, AV equipment
samdanzig

Using the Cave 10am-2pm Mon-Friday on a regular basis

Post by samdanzig » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi all,

I'm a saxophone player that has been using the cave the past few weeks 10am-2pm Mon-Friday. I am living pretty hand to mouth as a musician around Edinburgh at the moment, and really appreciate the regular slot to practice in, especially as it is normally not booked out in the morning. I had agreed with Nix that £20 a week was fair, seeing as it is a regular slot, I am on my own, and I don't have much money. Obviously if anyone objects to either the times or the money then we should talk and come to a more agreeable solution. Hope this turns out to be ok with all of you, at least for the time being!

Cheers,

Sam

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:16 pm

I don't really have a problem with this if a)that's what the Cave wants to do and b)no one else wants to use the space at that time. I don't think I've ever seen users in there that early. At the same time, it's a pretty awesome deal, so I thought I would gently nudge you in the direction of a cafe shift or two if you can find the time. It's a good way to get to know other people in the space, you get a free meal and sometimes tips, and it's where we make the munnee to keep things like the Cave happening.

Cool.

bill

Post by bill » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:51 pm

DOES THAT MEAN YOU ARE DOING EVERYDAY MON-FRI (4HRS A DAY) TOTALING 20 HRS A WEEK FOR 20 QUID? THIS SEEMS A BIT CHEAP TO ME. PARTICULALY IF THE CONTROLROOM/RECORDING STUDIO IS UP AND RUNNING.

SORRY IF I HAVE MISUNDERSTOOD.

samdanzig

Post by samdanzig » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:12 pm

I will definately sign up for some cafe shifts, and if income increases I will pay more. it works out at £1 an hour. And its really cheap, its true- but I can't afford any more. Also, recently, anyway, I haven't been coming to every session. And my name's niot actually down on the booking form, so if someone came and asked to play while I was playing, or simply booked a morning in advance, of course they would get priority. If I start earning some more money, which I plan to, of course, I will contribute more.

And what's this about a recording studio?

Cheers,

Sam

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:46 pm

you probably should of just kept it quiet to be honest. Im sure once others find out they can get the place for a £1 without volunteering then your time in the cave is gonna get less and less as more people will want to use it. Im all for filling empty space with someone who is using it, even if the amount the pay is minimal its better than nowt....It may just about cover the electricity bill for the time spent in there after the new rates come out :D :roll: .

i also believe you are recieving slightly beneficial treatment here, and therefor think that you definately should not put your name down on the booking form but you definately should keep checking it everyday to make sure no one else is booked in there. Anyone paying full whack for the room immediately has priority over you.

Is it just you in there? If you have other muso's in there, then you should definately pay full whack for the practice.
If you are giving lessons in there then once again full whack pay please.

Apart from that I'm just glad the space is being used properly :D .
Will we get a gig out of you soon in the cafe?
It's like God's vagina!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:24 am

This really does sound like a facilities working group issue. There should probably be some sort of policy in place that is agreed on.

nix

Post by nix » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 pm

I think the current agreement works fine...

when Sam proposed it... I checked the diary, and no one had used the cave at those times, ever.

he is a nice guy and is very willing to clean up and contribute. I said, I will post about this on the bb so people know what's going on, he said he would rather do it. he is pro-active.

Te facility is being used, rather than sitting empty, and is available for people to pay full price to use it.

I thing this is the right arrangement for this situation.

:D

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:11 pm

I'm down.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:52 pm

agree with Nix. Better to be used than to not!
It's like God's vagina!

samdanzig

Using the cave

Post by samdanzig » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:55 pm

Just wanted to say that I haven't been sticking to the 10-2 arrangement lately, because of a maelstrom of morning errends that I've had to spend my time on. What I've done, I've paid for. Just so you know........

Sam