The fleeting cleanliness of our toilets

Front of House, garden etc.
gaia

The fleeting cleanliness of our toilets

Post by gaia » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:31 pm

They are fairly disgusting, especially the Men's, and don't get cleaned as often as they should. According to the survey, it's one of our weak points. Maybe we should rethink the cleaning system. Any ideas?

martinmckenna

Re: The fleeting cleanliness of our toilets

Post by martinmckenna » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:41 pm

this could be down to the lack of posters, does any one have the poster? if not maybe someone can make one

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

chris

Post by chris » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:10 pm

it is surely the lack of posters! Its been on my list, but somehow escaped!
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Paulinka

Post by Paulinka » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:28 pm

''sanitation not illustration'' as someone wrote on one of the ladies toilet's new paintings. it's yucky ;( men's toilet was completely blocked yesterday.

gaia

Post by gaia » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Paulinka wrote:men's toilet was completely blocked yesterday.
And they still are!

AnneSof

Post by AnneSof » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:57 pm

Is there a cleaning rota we could put in the loos? like a sheet with a date that specifies when the toilets were last cleaned, and signed by whoever did it... It's a good way to keep track of when the toilets were last thoroughly cleaned, and might be a good occasion for KM or NM to give them a quick wipe and a splash of Ecover at the end of the shift...
I think it should be part of the end of shift cleaning, I know it's horrible having to clean the toilets, but the in a place open all day and most of the night, the toilets should be well looked after ^^;;

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:19 pm

That's a really good idea. Quickly cleaning the toilet bowls and emptying waste bins at the end of the night would help a lot!!

AnneSof

Post by AnneSof » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm

I didn't find any Ecover Toilet Cleaner in the cleaning cupboard the other day, just some nasty, chemical thing, and there was barely enough for all the loos... (men's stank of neglected stables btw... self explanatory) so if everybody agrees I wouldn't mind starting to apply this "quick cleaning and bin emptying" routine... takes 10 min during the evening, and any volunteer can do it... :roll:

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:26 pm

usually we use ecover floor soap for the floors
disinfectant (Bio-D) for basins etc.
if you think it's necessary I will ask Bridget to order some toilet cleaner.
the bleach was leftover from some very nasty cleaning jobs I had over the winter....

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:23 pm

Its kind of trick cleaning the toilets then going back to the kitchen, I see them in the morning sometimes and am about to go in and clean them then think, emm maybe not as i will ten have to the kitchen, obviously i can wash my hands but my clothes and everything, it just seems wrong, maybe i am being fussy.
The end of shift sounds good for this but i think i would encourage people not to come back into the kitchen after, maybe i am being a bit to fusy here

ken

Post by ken » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:03 am

buy a couple of big boiler suits that kitchen staff can wear over their day clothes?
consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds

AnneSof

Post by AnneSof » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:54 am

Stephen wrote:Its kind of trick cleaning the toilets then going back to the kitchen, I see them in the morning sometimes and am about to go in and clean them then think, emm maybe not as i will ten have to the kitchen, obviously i can wash my hands but my clothes and everything, it just seems wrong, maybe i am being fussy.
The end of shift sounds good for this but i think i would encourage people not to come back into the kitchen after, maybe i am being a bit to fusy here
I think you can do it if you wear gloves, I was just thinking of emptying bins and putting toilet cleaner in the basin, not actual brushing and scrubbing. : )
Alternatively, any volunteer whose shift finishes at 10 (or 12 depending on the night) could do it, if they're okay with it, but it'd be a pity if night volies associated some shifts with the loos : D
disinfectant (Bio-D) for basins etc.
if you think it's necessary I will ask Bridget to order some toilet cleaner.
I'm just thinking toilet cleaner has a good shape (the beak thingy), so it really gets everywhere and prevent sh*t from accumulating... but also, the ingredients in the the Bio-D, if used too often, might affect the septic tank? Though apparently most eco-friendly cleaning products are fine. That needs to be checked.

So it'd be great to know what most NM/volunteers think about that and I'd be happy to try and give it a go on my next shift! I don't mean to sound like a hygiene freak really... if anyone has a better idea? : )

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:36 pm

we don't have a septic tank, which is why whenever people flush stuff they shouldn't, we have to mop up sewage from the mains.

katymac

Post by katymac » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:55 pm

I also think it should be the end of kitchen shift (could be daytime shifts too, not to leave it all to the night shift). The trouble is after big events it's not just a case of the bins and basins - there's all sorts on the floor, the floors need mopped, toilets may need to be unblocked and the whole thing feels like a biohazard. Definitely not a pre-kitchen shift job IMHO.