BEBO blockage

Firefly

BEBO blockage

Post by Firefly » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:30 pm

hi is there any possibility of bebo being unblocked from the server as there have been complaints/comments directed towards myself and others that bebo cannot be accessed even from the wi-fi system.
So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?

Martin

Post by Martin » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:53 pm

Bebo and a couple of other sites got blocked because people were hogging the cafe machine for long periods using them. There's no need to block things from the wifi though, I'll sort that out.

Firefly

Post by Firefly » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:18 pm

hey is there any way we can stick a program on the free machine that limits the access to the site or rebootys the machine every 20 minutes. as i myself rely heavily on the free machine and need to access bebo.
So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?

Martin

Post by Martin » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:15 am

There's a reminder that pops up every 15 minutes asking people to let others have a turn if there's a queue.

Some people will just click that away again and again while frustrated people queue up behind them and ask them again and again how long they're going to be. If they'll ignore that, they'll also ignore any other measures we put in place.

Anyone that rude & selfish is also likely to be unpleasant for staff to deal with, so just blocking what they're looking seems to be the best way to make them just give up and go away, thinking the site's just down.

I will see about arranging a more targeted ability to just block the cafe machine from the current website for 10-15 minutes untill the incumbent asshole leaves.