blackout curtains?

Action room, screen printing, darkroom, Bristo Hall, Cave, AV equipment
bill

blackout curtains?

Post by bill » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:26 pm

i was thinking recently. as often times i do and it occured to me that we shoudl not spend hundreds of pounds on blackout curtains for the hall. we do not know how long we will have access to this space, let alone control of it. thus investing enormous quantities og dough into black out curtains seems wasteful of a valueable time and energy. perhaps it is worth climbing ladders and refoiling the windows for next festival to save hundreds of pounds?

james how much will it cost?

chris

Post by chris » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:38 pm

i will personally re foil the windows for £300, which i suspect is much less than the cost of lackout curtains.

ie. i agree with bill
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:43 pm

what about the damp? i also think it's not worth getting curtains though for now.
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:18 pm

some people like it dark.

some people do not.

also, curtains could help keep the space a little warmer (are we really not going to turn the heat on in the winter. this will cause me grief in my job.)

curtains will be usefull if we move.

i say we pay chris.

chris

Post by chris » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:26 pm

use the gas boiler...
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

James

Post by James » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:19 am

ravanwin wrote:some people like it dark.

some people do not.
This is exactly it. If we want this option the curtains are the best way. The only other option is we keep the tin foil and its always dark, or remove it and its always light.

The discussion needs to be centred on whether everyone would be happy with this ....

I feel that with the street lights and other spill its never really dark even at night, and we have many events, not just theatre, that want it that way. So I vote for curtains or tin foil.

Cost for curtains should be a touch over £200 and they are movable to a new building.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:34 am

if curtains are under £300 (palmers quote) then I think we should go for it. We should seriously discuss heating too...
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

bill

Post by bill » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:03 pm

yes i thought it would cost hundreds like 600 or something. 200 seems less much. are they thermal lined. i sit with a qualified energy advisor and she says fuck off unless they are thermal lined they will do almost nought. it can be bought ofr 2 squids a metre.

James

Post by James » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:24 am

They are not thermal lined. But the point isn't to keep the place warm, its to keep it dark. They do that and they are fire retardant.

But we may be able to combine the two materials?

Thermal lining would cost £99 extra. Is it worth only thermal lining three windows if we don't thermal line the rest of the place?

Martin

Post by Martin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:58 am

I would suspect the windows are the major route for heat loss in the hall, it could be worth getting these thermally lined - but then hall users have the choice of having it warm & dark or cold & bright...

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:52 pm

i say thermal lined. but i am an idiot.

graeme

Post by graeme » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:46 pm

Thermal lined sounds like a good idea.
And here's a thought, do they need to be fire retardant?

James

Post by James » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:36 am

I don't know health & safety immaculately, but common sense says they probably should do. If its impossible to get the material, we can buy a spray to fire proof it ourselfs.

Also can we check the weight? I just did a calculation that the B.O. material alone will weight 5.5 KG per window (roughly, if someone has proper digital scales I can improve that) so its important.

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:54 am

Five kilos doesn't sound that bad really. Rails will have to be sturdy but we knew that already.

chris

Post by chris » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:57 am

these prices seem pretty amazing to me, where are you getting the fabric from?

if you serious about the fire resistance, it is better to just buy fabric that is already fire retarded. (cos treating it with the sprayer, is pretty rubbish)