cafe and events working group meeting tuesday. 5th. feb. 7pm

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
ravanwin

cafe and events working group meeting tuesday. 5th. feb. 7pm

Post by ravanwin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:43 pm

This group plans and promotes events and film screenings in and outside the cafe. Those wanting to work in events promotions, sound engineering, and poster making are encouraged to attend. This group is also a forum for all aspects of volunteering including general problems with The Forest including fixing, building and maintaining the overall space by repairing equipment, technology and broken things. Volunteer morale and retention, kitchen issues and health and safety are also key issues.
First Tuesday of the month, 7pm.

Meeting. 7pm. Tuesday the 5th. Forest.

lucky

Post by lucky » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:40 pm

Hi.

I can't make it tonight, my sister is visiting and I never get to see her. So, here are my points. Nix may be able to explain some stuff, but don't shoot he, the messenger.

1. The milk fridge is a mik warmer. Is there another fridge we can shift in it's place?

2. I've re-done the closing checklist, it's slightly more clear. If there are any issues with it, please tell me and I'll sort it out.

I need to re-iterate, if people are staying behind pelase be nice to the night manager and maybe ask if you can alleviate them of the responsibility. The point of having the final part of the checklist is polyfold (I just made that up, how clever!)

- To get more people involved in keeping the cafe clean THUS impress on people the philosophy of everyone needing to contribute to Forest rather than slumping on a sofa and letting everone do the work. Having someone responsible means you can say "Okay, here's what we're going to do. You do this, you do this, I'll do this and we'll ahve this place spick and span in no time!"

At the end of the night, the Night Staff are waning. If there are plenty of people hanging around, you can ask one person to clean the curry and soup pots, give three people brushes and ask to sweep, send one person round to collect the candles etc etc. Also, i feel people would feel better and that they deserve to stay behind.

This isn't aimed at the great people who blatantly do help out. Feel empowered to empower other people to contribute.

- To make sure the cafe is locked properly, everything lockable locked that may get missed sometimes.

- Saving time in the already overstretched mornings by not leaving any mess at all. The kitchen was SPOTLESS this morning and it was a dream!

3. Sticky recipies There is a sticky on the Kitchen Forum for people to post their favourite recipes for Forest and other special foods on.

4. Tabletops. There are loads now. Please make sure they're out in the open. New vollie Chris knows how to print more off. He's my HERO!!!

They're in the drawer under the till.

5. Do we need a booklet for NMs to help empower them further to motivate their volunteers? Discuss.

6. Food quality argument - I am still working on a patronising kitchen manual to further help consistify foodstuffs. This is not an AP for me, but personal work I am choosing to do.

We had 35 different volunteers last week. KMs are only human, we only have so much time and ability and patience and phsycic powers to know what's going on ALL THE TIME in the cafe.

Do people actually know what KMs do? Off the top of my head, let's have a few examples. A typical day. jobs abd consequences.

Opening up Forest
Training new volunteers straight away, even if it's 10 and they don't speak english and/or they've never done cafe work at all and the whole cafe has to be set up.
Cleaning up anything not done the night before.
Figuring out what to do with all the stuff that people have left from the previous night - bags, cameras, jumpers, smelly socks, whatever.
Recieving orders
Paying for orders (half the time means a jog to the office to get stuff out of the safe)
Putting away order appropriately (needs a huge explination someitmes)
Doing food all the time
Making sure stock is kept up
Making and fixing signs to make things run better
Trying to keep the volunteers and customers happy.
Motivating volunteers.
Explaining the same things over and over again.
Trying not to patronise people in various processes.
Refering people to appropriate places for our facilities.
Trying to
Constantly trying to find ways to make things better and not having time to impliment these ways
Finding jobs for people who don't know how to find jobs for themselves
Explaining how to clean things.
Explaining why it's important to use warm, not cold, water to wash dishes in.
Trying to find Night Managers/Staying behind to NM if there's no-one else.
Helping people best we can when they're trying to put on their events
Being a messenger. Getting shot.
banking money
Keeping a constant eye on dodgy people
Trying to keep the peace between members of our community that should be getting along already/be able to act like adults and sort it out themselves. Being "dad". In the stereotypical partriarchal role sense, o course, I mean.
Being too exhausted to go to events/take part in the good stuff.
Cleaning when possible.
Going for cigarettes.
Running about the building trying to find people (85% of my day. The other 15% is running up and down with money and orders.)
Doing orders.
banking money.
Trying constantly to retain a genuine positive energy about the very place I am trying to make positive waves in, and trying to help other people understand the positive things they can do here and in general.
Spending time in social occasions trying to convince people how much the Forest has changed reletavely recently, and banishing misconceptions, and trying to keep calm with them.
And finally, and the most infuriating of all, CLEANING UP AFTER OTHER PEOPLE WHO SHOULD CLEAN UP AFTER THEMSELVES ANYWAY AND FIXING THINGS THAT PEOPLE HAVEN'T DONE PROPERLY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Oh, and trying to find time to take a dump. That's a hard one.

Pick six of these items and try to do it at once. Change every so often. That is what it's like to be a KM. Times it by 20 for the festival. This is just a few examples.

I know we get paid, but it's a pittance for the job we do and we rarely get thanks for it. Please be compassionate and positive when suggesting better ways of doing things. For me, when people complain about something that's wrong it really, really, actually hurts.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
Bohnenflaschen!

lucky

Post by lucky » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:41 pm

I mean, when people jsut throw complaints at us and don't actually do anything about it.
Bohnenflaschen!

beev

Post by beev » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:24 am

Trying to keep the volunteers and customers happy.
dude, this is not part of your job. people are responsible for their own happiness!
Running about the building trying to find people
who are these people? let them come to you!
Keeping a constant eye on dodgy people
when nm-ing i always found it better to just keep an occasional eye on dodgy people. we are not big brother, and i find people respond badly to being constantly watched. it makes them more determined to fuck you over.
Helping people best we can when they're trying to put on their events
when nm-ing, i would help people if i had spare time, but if not i would just tell them they have to sort it out themselves
banking money
ryan should be doing this now
Trying to keep the peace between members of our community that should be getting along already/be able to act like adults and sort it out themselves. Being "dad". In the stereotypical partriarchal role sense, o course, I mean.
just bar them if they can't act like adults. unless of course they are children, in which case call the police and say you've been assaulted
Going for cigarettes.
this is bad for you and you shouldn't do it

i know yours is a very tough job and i would hate to do it myself. i hope you don't see this as criticism. it is meant to be advice. hope it helps!

lucky

Post by lucky » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:41 pm

Contentment of the people using the Forest is a very important part of my job. Like it or not, be it my job or not, when I'm working I am the first Forest person that people will interact with.

Therefore, I get asked questions before people look at the posters or look around for people. It's fine, it's a great help to be able to give people a leaflet and just say, "Read that." It's fine, but it takes time, and explanation, and patience.

If we are not nice to customers (who deserve it), they will not come back.

If I don't express to volunteers how amazing they are (which I genuinely do, because I know how shit it is when no-one is volunteering and think they're all amazing for helping!) then they can't read my mind and they may not understand how fundamentally important their efforts are. A genuine thank you is very important.

We are Big Brother in a sense. Sorry, but it's our position to 'police' ourselves as the police are not there to help us when we need it, but to black mark us if we ask for help. When I say keeping an eye on, I mean being aware, and not in people's faces. It takes more energy to be subtle about it. I have to do this.

I will help events people out, but impress on them that everything is explained in the (GLORIOUS!) events book and they should sort themselves out better next time. It takes a long time, for people maybe doing stuff for the first time, to realise that we're not going to hold their hands through their endeavors.

I totally accept what you're trying to say Neil, but KMing is above and beyond managing the kitchen. We are the first point of contact, and thus the first people to make an impression that will welcome or drive away customers who financially sustain us, and people who are potentially going to come and do AMAZING things with us.

I hate smoking too.

A*
Bohnenflaschen!