New Working Groups/What is Forest? Poster

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
chombee

New Working Groups/What is Forest? Poster

Post by chombee » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:48 pm

I've just been hearing from some non-foresters recently about how we are a secretive clique and if you're not already involved you really can't get into the forest, etc. This is bollocks and I think it's mostly to do with the prejudice and close-mindedness of some outsiders, projecting their nonsense onto us without a thought. But I have heard it from some people who actually read the current working groups poster that they thought the egg clock thing was some sort of weird in-joke, even existing volunteers don't know what that means, I suspect it doesn't mean anything but it gives the wrong impression, plus I think more explanation of what and why the working groups and the forest are is needed. SO, I think we need a new poster, two copies A0, one on the pin board and one in the front window of the building. Here's a first attempt at some text for it.

Yes? No? Alterations, additions, filling in the incomplete bits for me?
Pleased to meet you. We're okay. Thanks for asking!

We have heard it said that The Forest is a bizarre organism run by a mysterious cabal.
We assure you, there is no cabal!

This is a volunteer-run, grassroots community project and anyone is welcome to participate!

The Forest is a not-for-profit, free arts and events space supported by a vegetarian cafe. It is independent and self-funded. It has: gallery, events space...

Decisions are made and actions planned at open, consensus-based monthly meetings. If you are interested in doing something at The Forest, this is when to come:

**Sidebox!**
theForest is a registered charity...

Cafe & Events Working Group: building stuff, equipment, technology and broken things, events and promo, film screenings, kitchen, health and safety, posters, sound, volunteering. First Tuesday of the month, 7pm.

Action Working Group: community action, drama and performance, environment and garden, projects, workshops. Second Sunday of the month, 4pm.

Behind the Scenes Working Group: business and admin, grants, shop, website. Third Wednesday of the month, 7pm.

Visual Arts Working Group: front of house, visual art. Last Thursday of the month, 7pm.

Facilities Working Group: darkroom and photography, publishing and library, records, the cave. Second Tuesday of the month, 7pm.

If you want to do cool things here you can do them. If you have your own ideas you can bring them. That's how it's worked so far. We will love you for it. You will not make any money. But you will make kudos and good karma, and good things will happen.

But we are busy busy bees. Sometimes meetings even stop happening for a while cause we're all busy. Be proactive, don't be afraid! If a working group you like is sleeping, you can revive it. Come in and introduce yourself. Have a coffee. Register with our online bulletin board at http://theforest.org.uk/bb to keep up to date. Start a new thread. A lot of the discussion happens online.

Happy Participating,
theForest
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

chombee

Post by chombee » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:50 pm

P.S. we also need to make a flyer for tables. I say make it two columns to one side of A4, and print it double sided if needed. Then, hopefully, we can laminate them and bend them in half and they will stand up on their own. There is the text above, could be used, and Alex posted some work on a tables flyer a while back too...
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:18 pm

I think it's fine, I doubt if it will stop the 'secretive clique' mutterings, how billy basic do we need our communication need to be before people understand, if you still manage to miss the point now, then you've failed the first test.

Personally I've had a relapse.
Working Groups for me have failed.
I would revert to a committee.
Art should never be egalitarian.
Total Kunst, the Cave should be run autonomously.
The committee should take care of all other business.
Anyone wishing to join the Anti-Working Group Working Group.
The first and only meeting will be on September 1st.
Action point: reinstall old order.
Pep Up The Turmoil

beev

Post by beev » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:44 pm

It has: gallery, events space, workshops, library, rehearsal room, darkroom, films, games, free shop, internet, decks, toilets...

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:53 pm

on the one hand i always loathe this kind of talk from so-called "outsiders" ... i think they need to listen to some jack johnson and get over it... while we do want to be inclusive, we also want to be edgy and artistic and while the two are not mutually exclusive there are some people who will feel "excluded" by the fact that they just don't get it.

So, for instance, the current poster is not that illuminating (i.e. the cave is clearly code for The Rehersal Studio) but the fact that drawings like the egg-clock make people think there is a secret cabal rather than a bunch of quirky artists who believe in free and odd expression.... well, those people are excluded because (maybe) they do not share what what we all have in common: a shared sensibility about art / humor. If our desire is to be a revolutionary artist led collective than we shouldn't bend over too far-backwards to look like milk-toast. Because, you know, we know we are not a cabal. Look at the people who come in and contribute: I can not think of a more disparate group of people from age, style, color, nationalality etc. I mean, how does Billy Liar end up on a Azazi Face Spunk Poster.... and yes, I suppose that is an inside joke but... 1) it's a joke and 2) it is proof that we are inclusive rather than exclusive. These are people who 4 months ago were never seen in the forest... bah!

On the other hand, this poster is really good (with a few exceptions.) and if freaked out appropriately with some great art (someone wanna raise their hand for that) but, yes, a bit of clarity is a good thing. I'm reworking some words in it now.
r

chombee

Post by chombee » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:21 pm

Hey,

yes, good. My posters tend to be informative but dry. It really should be re-worded by a proper wordsmith. Re-word the whole thing if you can! And illustrated by a drawsmith too, unless you want a whole A0 sheet of different fonts.

Although I am clearly down with this edgy art thing it is not the be all and end all of the forest for many people involved in it, and I don't always think the many other aspects of the free open space project forest should be compromised just to be arty, whenever avoidable. Which is not to say that we should be less edgy art.

I do think we are already blatantly inclusive and diverse, more so than any other project in Edinburgh that I know. People who walk by the forest and say "It's not open for to get involved" are clearly talking utter bullshit, try going into favorit and asking when their next consensus cafe and events meeting is. We're also quite bad at communicating to the public though, and I feel if we get these few things done, the poster and the table flyers and the working group meetings happening now and then, then we can rest safe in the knowledge that these accusations are truly as baseless as we can realistically make them. And no potential volunteer will walk by because they didn't realise what the hell we were. I've actually had cool people wonder into the forest completely confused and bemused and ask me what this place is, it looks different, what on earth is going on. I feel there must be other potentials who are not brave/curious/open-minded enough to just wander in and ask. Maybe we want those people, maybe we don't.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:39 pm

there is only one way to find out. let's get them.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:18 pm

Well you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I've changed the list to reflect what is on the bb right now.
Cafe & Events Working Group:
building stuff, equipment, technology and broken things, events and promo, film screenings, kitchen, health and safety, posters, sound, volunteering.
First Tuesday of the month, 7pm.

Action Working Group:
community action, environment and garden, workshops.
Second Sunday of the month, 4pm.

Behind the Scenes Working Group:
business and admin, projects and grants, shop, website.
Third Wednesday of the month, 7pm.

Visual Arts Working Group:
front of house, visual art.
Last Thursday of the month, 7pm.

Artist Facilities Working Group:
forest free theatre, darkroom and photography, publishing and library, records, the cave music rehearsal studio.
Second Tuesday of the month, 7pm.
Changes:
drama and performance and projects have been removed from Action.
grants is now projects and grants in Behind The Scenes.
Facilities is now called Artist Facilities
forest free theatre added to Artist Facilities and maybe a good idea to change 'the cave' to 'the cave music rehearsal studio' just so people know.

There is also the Forest Working Group.
Is it worth adding something about that?
the more you think, the more you stink

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:43 am

I was thinking the other day about these people who go on about community and inclusiveness. You can't have both. A community is defined as much by those outside it as by those inside it. Do these tossers who whinge about the Forest being a clique (or ageist) want their children to come to the same meetings/events? I doubt it. You certainly can't please everyone, and trying to please too many people is just counter productive. We'll end up asking people if they would like to go large on the hummus.

When you look at our 'community', it is good because of the people who aren't included, or would be better if some people weren't included. It might be me, it might be you. Get over it, and do some recycling.

The fact is, if I could work out how to get involved, then anyone can. I didn't need a poster giving it to me on a plate. If that is what it takes, then you need to go somewhere where they give things to you on plates. Not in this cafe my friend.

bill

Post by bill » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:36 pm

it is clear that people volunteer here? i think yes. as soon as this happens it becomes apparent that its a lovely welcoming community.

also at the weekend away i agreed to paint up on a wall ruffly what forest is, may be the formula? i also made clear i couldn't word it write and some people agreed to do this. i am still up for it.

bill

Post by bill » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:41 pm

my last post is very unclear. i mean people know the space is run by volunteers, when they volunteer or ask about it everyone is friendly to them. i think to lessen our cleakiness we must sim[ply be nicer to people, like when you walk into a small community village say in northern scotland, and a local shows you round and introduces you to the vicar (alex), the policeman (ryan), the butcher (chris) (etc etc).

oh wait, that never happens usually it takes a few minutes and some effort before people say hello etc etc, like anywhere.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:30 pm

The following is what the new poster should sound like, maybe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:43 pm

To make things easy here's Ryan's text:

It's been said that The Forest is a shadowy organism run by a mysterious cabal. We don't have a dictionary around but if a cabal is a volunteer-run, grassroots community project that anyone is welcome to participate in, then yes, we are a cabal. But, perhaps we are a Kibbutz? Either way, anyone can attend a meeting and interact with the Kibbutz or Cabal or whatever.

The Forest is a charity: a not-for-profit, free arts and events space supported by a vegetarian cafe. It is independent and self-funded. It has: a renowned gallery, a free events space, a rehearsal studio, and a darkroom. Forest publishes 'zines and pamphlets, funds records and cds, gives out grants each month for radical art and community projects, hosts a free Festival theatre space and provides free internet and wi-fi all year round for nothing!

Decisions are made and actions planned at open, consensus-based, monthly meetings. It is the Forest's charitable mandate to say YES to as many things as possible. If you have a great idea about anything to do with The Forest than come to one of these open meetings, pitch your ideas and take on a simple task or two:

**Sidebox!**
theForest is a registered charity... <add>

Cafe & Events Working Group: This group plans and promotes events and film screenings in and outside the cafe. Those wanting to work in events promotions, sound engineering, and poster making are encouraged to attend. This group is also a forum for all aspects of volunteering including general problems with The Forest including fixing, building and maintaining the overall space by repairing equipment, technology and broken things. Volunteer morale and retention, kitchen issues and health and safety are also key issues. First Tuesday of the month, 7pm.

Action Working Group: This group plans community actions, organizes free workshops, plans dramatic performances, works to make protect the environment, and tends to the garden. Those interested in “stirring the soup”, sharing skills, writing, or performance are encouraged to attend. Second Sunday of the month, 4pm.

Behind the Scenes Working Group: This group keeps us in business, does the bulk of administrative tasks, doles out the monthly grants, helps local artists sell things in our shop and maintains the madness of our website. People with great organizational skill who want to learn more about the business of running a thriving community arts project and flagship non-profit social enterprise are strongly encouraged to attend. Third Wednesday of the month, 7pm.

Visual Arts Working Group: This group constantly changes the face of the Forest by curating the visual arts gallery (Total Kunst), seeking artists to paint murals and maintaining the aesthetics of Forest front of house down to the smallest detail from flowers to sofa covers. All artists are welcome to attend and are free to help change The Forest on a regular, never-ending cycle. Last Thursday of the month, 7pm.

Facilities Working Group: This group meets to welcome newcomers and to maintain and improve The Forest Rehearsal Studio (The Cave) and The Darkroom. This group buys new materials and equipment and repairs damages. It also creates, edits and distributes all Forest Publications, and Forest Records and looks after the swap Library. Second Tuesday of the month, 7pm.

If you want to share skills, make shit fucked up, seek grants, paint walls, throw parties, edit zines or just Kibbutz. We Say Yes: just bring your ideas to a meeting. That's how it's worked so far: from a small group of a dozen aquantences to the spawling sprawl you see beside you.
Be proactive, don't be afraid! Nobody here knows everybody else and the way everyone has met has been through working together to make art, make food, make messes, make good ideas, make bad ideas etc.
Come round to a meeting and introduce yourself. Have a coffee. Register with our online bulletin board at http://theforest.org.uk/bb to keep up to date. Start a new thread.
A lot of the discussion happens online.

Happy Participating,
theForest

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:14 pm

Awesome.

Typo here: works to make protect the environment.

Otherwise really, really great.

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:26 pm

Gotta love the definition of Cabal from wikipedia (I don't think this should go on the poster):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabal
A cabal is a number of persons united in some close design, usually to promote their private views and interests in a church, state, or other community by intrigue. Cabals are sometimes secret organizations composed of a few designing persons, and at other times are manifestations of emergent behavior in society or governance on the part of a community of persons who have well established public affiliation or kinship. The term can also be used to refer to the designs of such persons or to the practical consequences of their emergent behavior, and also holds a general meaning of intrigue and conspiracy. Its usage carries strong connotations of shadowy corners, back rooms and insidious influence; a cabal is more evil and selective than, say, a faction, which is simply selfish. Because of this negative connotation, few organizations use the term to refer to themselves or their internal subdivisions. Among the exceptions is Discordianism, in which the term is used to refer to an identifiable group within the Discordian tradition.
Also this bit reminded me of something:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Is_No_Cabal
During the rise of Usenet, the term gained great notice as a semi-ironic description of the efforts of people to maintain some order over the chaotic, anarchic Usenet community; see backbone cabal. As in this specific case, references to an alleged cabal often fall within the realm of conspiracy theory.
Perhaps we are a cabal after all. But it would only be in the spirit of cabals to go on denying it.

beev

Post by beev » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:02 pm

chombee wrote:Typo here: works to make protect the environment.
I'm not sure that is a typo!

I love this poster! Except I'm not into this bit:
'It is the Forest's charitable mandate to say YES to as many things as possible.'

I don't know anything about that charitable mandate, and I don't think saying it will help. I would just take that sentence out.

Everything else is great!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:13 pm

i'm down with that. Who wants to print this up off the original file. In my mind: the big poster has the names of the sub-wgs in bold for easy identity.

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:31 pm

Do we want to print the file you posted? It looks pretty plain to me (maybe it's cause I'm using OpenOffice). We should at least make it PDF poster stylee with nice fonts like the forest menu? (I can do, probably).

Also I was thinking of making it really huge, get it printed at copycat or something.

Do we want to hold out for someone to art it up?

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:31 pm

I've gone through it and added a couple of things, and corrected one or two typos.... Someone copy this up and make it look nice.

It's been said that The Forest is a shadowy organism run by a mysterious cabal. We don't have a dictionary around but if a cabal is a volunteer-run, grassroots community project that anyone is welcome to participate in, then yes, we are a cabal. But, perhaps we are a Kibbutz? Either way, anyone can attend a meeting and interact with the Kibbutz or Cabal or whatever.

The Forest is a registered charity (SC038234): a not-for-profit, free arts and events space supported by a vegetarian cafe. It is independent and self-funded. It has: a renowned gallery, a free events space, workshops galore, a rehearsal studio, and a darkroom. Forest publishes 'zines and pamphlets, funds records and cds, gives out grants each month for radical art and community projects, hosts a free Festival theatre space and provides free internet and wi-fi all year round for nothing!

Decisions are made and actions planned at open, consensus-based, monthly meetings of the following working groups. If you have a great idea about anything to do with The Forest then come to one of these open meetings, pitch your ideas and take on a simple task or two:

Cafe & Events Working Group: This group plans and promotes events and film screenings in and outside the cafe. Those wanting to work in events promotions, sound engineering, and poster making are encouraged to attend. This group is also a forum for all aspects of volunteering including general problems with The Forest including fixing, building and maintaining the overall space by repairing equipment, technology and broken things. Volunteer morale and retention, kitchen issues and health and safety are also key issues. First Tuesday of the month, 7pm.

Action Working Group: This group plans community actions, organizes free workshops, plans dramatic performances, works to protect the environment, and tends to the garden. Those interested in “stirring the soup”, sharing skills, writing, or performance are encouraged to attend. Second Sunday of the month, 4pm.

Behind the Scenes Working Group: This group keeps us in business, does the bulk of administrative tasks, doles out the monthly grants, plans projects, helps local artists sell things in our shop and maintains the madness of our website. People with great organisational skill who want to learn more about the business of running a thriving community arts project and flagship non-profit social enterprise are strongly encouraged to attend. Third Wednesday of the month, 7pm.

Visual Arts Working Group: This group constantly changes the face of the Forest by curating the visual arts gallery (Total Kunst), seeking artists to paint murals and maintaining the aesthetics of Forest front of house down to the smallest detail from flowers to sofa covers. All artists are welcome to attend and are free to help change The Forest on a regular, never-ending cycle. Last Thursday of the month, 7pm.

Artist Facilities Working Group: This group meets to welcome newcomers and to maintain and improve The Forest Rehearsal Studio (The Cave) and The Darkroom. This group buys new materials and equipment and repairs damages. It also creates, edits and distributes all Forest Publications, and Forest Records and looks after the swap Library. Second Tuesday of the month, 7pm.

If you want to share skills, make shit fucked up, seek grants, paint walls, throw parties, edit zines or just Kibbutz. We Say Yes: just bring your ideas to a meeting. That's how it's worked so far: from a small group of a dozen acquaintances to the sprawling sprawl you see beside you.

Be proactive, don't be afraid! Nobody here knows everybody else and the way everyone has met has been through working together to make art, make food, make messes, make good ideas, make bad ideas etc.
Come round to a meeting and introduce yourself. Have a coffee. Register with our online bulletin board at http://theforest.org.uk/bb to keep up to date. Start a new thread. A lot of the discussion happens online.

Happy Participating,
the Forest
Last edited by Gaz on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:34 pm

Yeah make it look nice and make a PDF. Maybe post it here before printing so we can just give it the once over....

Also I am thinking of just printing up the objects from our constitution and putting them somewhere close by, so we don't have to cover any of that in this poster....

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:00 pm

i'm okay with killing the "charitable mandate is to say yes" so long as we keep it at the bottom.

does ANYONE wanna make it arty (i.e. scan some cool images and add them to the poster?) Palmer, bill mags? VA group? Any?

chombee

Post by chombee » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:12 pm

I won't be in the least bit offended if somebody wants to do a better job than me and modify or completely replace this, but since no one is stepping up, here is an attempt. Pretty heavy on the text. Will this look okay printed out huge? Does it need some colour or had we better print in b&w?

(I tried to attach the Abiword source file but the bb won't let me).

Also, it is odd to have no mention of the forest working group (or perhaps 'the kibbutz working group'?). Should we add a brief thing?
Some details are attended to privately by the Kibbutz Working Group. If you contribute to another working group for 3-6 months then you can start coming along to the Kibbutz.
I don't know. Somebody improve that. We're running out of space for text anyway. I'll have to reduce the font size!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:55 pm

chombee

looks ok... certainly it's too text heavy but... i guess that is the nature of the beast. can you send me an email with a file that i can get into and touch things up? then i'll go in and change a few details and try to get more white space. From there, i'll print it out in time for the VA Wg meeting and try to get some of the folk there to draw on it weird. cool?

chombee

Post by chombee » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:55 pm

Ok I'll get it to you tomorrow, hope it'll be quick enough.

You might actually want to recreate it in photoshop or gimp or whatever if you're going to mess with it much, cause it'll be a little weird. I did it in Abiword (a word processor) cause I don't know how to use any graphics thing well. The floating sidebox is actually a second column, and I messed with the per-paragraph column positionings to make it look like a box, the second column is actually behind the first column everywhere except where the "sidebox" is. Does that make sense?

Anyway, you can get abiword for free on windows or linux.

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:01 pm

Zip file with final abiword and pdf versions, minus drawings that the va group will add

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:15 pm

here is updated virgin.