Gold room enquiry

Magda

Gold room enquiry

Post by Magda » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:41 pm

Hey!

someone from the Uni sent me this email. I figure this is your thing, so I'm pasting it here. Would anyone like to answer them?

Hi, i am part of the Edinburgh University Art Society and we emailed you about 3 weeks ago enquiring about the use of the gold room. I was just checking to see if you got the email, if not then i shall explain what we were enquiring about:
Every year the university puts on a festival to advertise and make aware of all the societies that are available to the students. In previous years the art society has been simply life drawing classes due to the lack of people in the society. This year we would like to expand the society so that people are able to try out new media and new forms of art, but to do that we need more people. During the festival we wanted to create a big installation piece, covering the walls of a room with paper, where people could come along and express themselves on the wall in whatever way they wanted. The theme of the piece would be to extend from what is already there. It would be large piece made up from lots of people, expressing what our society wants to be - involving lots of people using lots of media.
We have been given a room by the university to use for the festival, however, they do not want us to cover the walls in paper and get any art materials anywhere, which defeats the point of the art piece. Therefore we were wandering whether we could have the use of one of your rooms in the Forest Cafe (preferably the gold room), so that we could cover the walls and the floor in paper and card and carry out our installation. We do realise that there will be many people from outside the university turning up and they are definitely welcome to join in on the piece. If it were possible to use your room, we would want it from the 31st January until the 2nd February, it would be three days starting from about 3pm until about 6pm each day, and if possible we would like to keep the piece up during those three days.
If this is possible, we would be extremely grateful!
Please can you respond as soon as possible because if we cannot use your room then we need to come up with another idea to attract people to our society!
Thank you
Emily Petrides

chris

Post by chris » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:37 am

sounds brilliant..can we say yeah?
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

beev

Post by beev » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:38 am

Wouldn't it be more suited to the gallery room? Would be a shame to ruin the gold....

chris

Post by chris » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:19 am

arent they just pinning up a load of paper, to be drawed on? gallery would also work... which ever room it is, its down to the visual arts wg...

xxx
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:10 am

I talked to them when they came into the cafe a few weeks ago. Yes, they're talking about pinning up paper, that will then be removed at the end. It sounds like a good idea to me, and a really good way to get new, creative faces into the space.

JoJo

Post by JoJo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:49 am

Depends on when the present show is coming down and the next going up, i need to check.
Not sure if im up for it in the gallery as the last time this hapened it was a royal fuck up. i try speak to this dudette and c if she kosher.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:18 pm

This group is still waiting on an answer. They are not looking to use the gallery, but rather the gold room (though I'm sure the gallery would work, if available). I am going to tell them they can do it, unless someone responds otherwise by Sunday evening. They have emailed the TK address and received no response. They emailed Magda and that was posted here. They want it for a week and they want to put paper up, which will be used to create a piece by a bunch of different people. The mess will be on the paper, not the walls, presumably.

On the topic of TK communication: I keep putting stuff in your pigeon hole, and I sent out an email about it, but it doesn't look like it has been picked up. At least one of the items is a proposal.

lucky

Post by lucky » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:20 am

Get a definate time limit. I'd also suggest they get someone to come on once/twice a day to get their material - being in the Gold Room it's more prone to idiots inter-fear-ing.

I think it's a gppd odea. Later! Alex*

beev

Post by beev » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:24 pm

Tell them not to fuck up the gold paint!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:18 am

I told that it was okay as long as the gold paint is not ruined.

I also made it very clear that we cannot be responsible for what the punters may or may not do if they are not around with the exhibit. They want to keep it up for the whole three days, but maybe they'll decide otherwise once they know this. I told them a piece got stolen from our last exhibition. I doubt they've got the people-power to make sure someone is there with the exhibit at all times.