Building Wave #2

Front of House, garden etc.
Gaz

Building Wave #2

Post by Gaz » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:24 pm

So.

There may be a second wave of builders over from America.
This time it's bigger and even more professional.

Here's a message from Kate.
Who would like to meet Ed next week?
Also we need to get a list of potential jobs together.
If that's going to happen though, I need to start communicating and planning with people in the states asap, as this type of trip is usually planned a few months in advance.

Just a note: Dave’s father, Ed, has led dozens of work trips (similar to the one Barry led) with a group of very professional tradesmen. They recently helped build a coffeehouse in Washington DC and did about $100,000 worth of work. Ed is coming over to visit us next week; I believe getting in on Tuesday. It’d be great if he could at least meet you and take a look at the potential projects sometime during the week. Let me know if you’re interested.
the more you think, the more you stink

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:51 pm

I'll be away but, aside from doing all the stuff that malcolm Kennedy and the Fire people want (maintained lighting, new fire proof doors, covering of windows, and extending the fire alarm network - poss. including Smoke detectors -) here are some ideas:

completion of Cave Soundproofing.
Fixing of cafe windows: i.e. making the shutters lockable and properly foam insulated again.
Venting the cafe
Addition of Toilets in the basement (curiously not mentioned by the Kennedy)
flattening the balconies to allow for building of studios (Kennedy said "cool".)

that's all I can think of at the moment.
r

TheCross

Post by TheCross » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:02 pm

From the sounds of things these dudes are serious workers, so we cant piss them around. Lots of planning needs to be done before they arrive and the materials ready for when they get here. As I will not be around to help, I will outline what needs to be done before thy come.

Below is the work required by fire and building control to bring the building up to standard and possibly up the capacity:

http://theforest.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2346

Everything is self explanatory in that post.

Below is more work that we should get the army to do.

Toilets:
- Plans need to be drawn up as it is important to get the levels and layout of the plumbing correct. I think it would be wise to get an architect who knows what they are doing. As it stands the existing trunk line is prone to blocking. Although we have not had any problems since the introduction of bins and the toilet paper dispensers, it's not something we want to get wrong.
- Submit the plans to building control for approval.
- Cost and order materials required. If we get a friendly architect they may help.
- This project will require the biggest amount of time/planning/materials and labor. Personally I think it's the most important thing to get done if we want to increase the capacity.

Venting the cafe:
I think the best way to do vent the cafe is to install a massive extraction system above the kitchen that ducts to the street. But to be honest maybe it would be worth getting somebody in who really knows what they are talking about. Although I think this would make a substantial difference, maybe there is a better solution.
- Design system
- Order materials

Sound proofing cave:
Build in a false ceiling.
- Plan ceiling
- Order materials

Build new sound desk???
It could be nice to rebuild the sound desk so it is fixed to the floor. Lockable storage for records, mics, cables. Lockable access to change configuration, and the ability to turn off the mixer (as this stops the buzzing noise).

Perhaps we will want to shut the cafe for a few days while the work is being done? If the toilets are going to be out of action and a hole knocked in the wall above the kitchen, it might be nice to give them some space to work.

Tim

TheCross

Post by TheCross » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:07 pm

Below is a list of suppliers I use:

Plumbing

Plumb Center
4-6 Murano Pl
Edinburgh, EH7 5HH, UK
0131 553 4045

Timber

Braemount Timber Ltd
156 Leith Walk
Edinburgh EH6 5DX
0131 554 8628
Will deliver
I might be able to get a good price here. I will let you know if I can.

The Builld Center - Timber
15-25 Ratcliffe Terrace
Edinburgh EH91SX
I would use Braemount over these dudes, but they are closer to Forest which is good when you run out of something. They sell cheap screws, nails, bolts, fixings.

Sand & Cement

Thistle
20 The Wisp
Edinburgh, EH16 4SQ, UK
0131 669 4125
Will deliver.

Tool Hire

Speedy Hire Centres
20 Dock St
Edinburgh, EH6 6EY, UK
0131 554 9393

Glass

Edinburgh Glass
22, Featherhall Avenue
Edinburgh EH12 7UN
0131 334 6111
Will deliver

Fixings, Fittings & Various

Screwfix Trade Counter
Seafield Road East
Edinburgh EH15 1ED
http://www.screwfix.co.uk
Very big range. Cheap. Online catelogue. Sometimes dont have what you want in stock at the trade counter. If you order over £50 online you get free shipping. If you are organised it would be worth getting all fixings and fittings from here.

Opening Hours
Mon - Fri 7am - 8pm
Sat 8am - 6pm
Sun 10am - 4pm
Bank Holidays 10am - 4pm

DF Wishart & Co LTD
St Clair Street
Edinburgh EH6 8LJ
0131 474 4300
http://www.wishart.co.uk
Very good range. Little more expensive, but always have what you need in stock.

B&Q

Easter Road
B&Q Supercentre
240 Easter Road
Edinburgh
EH6 8LD
0131 5541464
http://www.diy.com
This is the closest B&Q to Forest.

Edinburgh
B&Q Warehouse
New Craighall Retail Park, off New Craighall Road
Newcraighall
EH15 3HS
0131 454 4900
http://www.diy.com
This is a superstore about 30 mins drive from forest. Massive selection.

Van Rental

Arnold Clark
20B-20D Seafield Road East
Edinburgh
EH15 1ED
0131 657 9120
http://www.arnoldclark.co.uk

Notes
NEVER buy anything from homebase, they are crap.

James

Post by James » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:31 am

add to list: some stage blocks for theatre stuff during the festival.

beev

Post by beev » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:37 pm

Ryan, I think we need your architect friend...

TheCross

Post by TheCross » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:04 pm

beev wrote:Ryan, I think we need your architect friend...
Yip, can you please forward his contact details.

xx

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:08 pm

i would rather chat to him before hand... i will try to call. also there is dirks bro...

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue May 01, 2007 11:24 am

too busy to follow this up last night but, yeah, what do you need an architect for at this stage... i am guessing loos.... not the most exciting and creative oppertunity.... maybe we just need a decent plumber to have a look? not sure

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Mon May 14, 2007 6:37 pm

David has written:
Hey Gareth,

I've been meeting with Tim on occasion and I know my wife Kate has
emailed you in the past a number of times about some teams coming over to help out.

It sounds like it's going to be a go, and we've got some people coming
mid-July. To the extent of the skill-sets is yet to be determined, but
was wondering if we could get together sometime tomorrow.

I take off for the US for a week, and would like to get some things in
motion. Look forward to finally meeting you.

Let me know what time, Im pretty flexible.

Dave Schmidgall
What do we do?

I'm happy to meet up but I know things are slightly up in the air at the moment.... i will explain what's going on yes?

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue May 15, 2007 9:36 am

we need the upstairs capicity to go up, so we really do have to do all this lighting and electrical work ... fire exits etc.... doors and doors and doors

bill

Post by bill » Tue May 15, 2007 11:47 am

so in a month we know about the building maybe? what about studios (making the floor more ofa floor not steps on the balconies?)/capacity up stairs?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 15, 2007 12:42 pm

I feel like we should go ahead with the work, so long as it isn't going to cost TOO much. By the sounds of things yesterday, we will almost definitely have the hall for this festival, and we have plans. I don't think we should worry about toilets if we don't have to, but yes, the other stuff should get done.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue May 15, 2007 4:34 pm

i think we have to take things in small increments and not do too much unnecessary work without a longterm agrement with the EUS. It is a fine balancing act that we must undertake to ensure we don't shoot ourselves in the balls. Essentually, we must do everything we can to get capacity upstairs raised and to increase the financial performance of the building. Plus, in Sept. (if we have the building) we can install informal studios. After that, i think we need to discuss our vision with the EUS, and begin to hunt huge grants for the sustainibility and expansion of our project. That would involve architects etc. For now, we should probably continue and maintain our lo-fi cowboy building ethos.... any objections?

I think toilets might be essential for the summer, however. Their current state, despite Ryden's reckonings, are a liability.
r

TheCross

Post by TheCross » Tue May 15, 2007 7:26 pm

I think toilets are essential for the summer. Word will spread quickly that we have bad toilets, and it could tarnish our reputation as a good festival space. Maybe we can do something temporary perhaps? Although, I don't see how it could cost more than 2-3 K to do the toilets, especially with free labor.

I have a plumber friend mark who could come and look at what needs to be done. He is good and MIGHT do it for free. My phone is not charged at the moment, but I will do my best to get his contact details as soon as.

As for the studios, I think we wait until the festival is over.

xx

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Tue May 15, 2007 10:44 pm

Meeting with Dave, Gaz, Shannon, Chris
15 May 07

The team is definitely coming over from 14th to 21st July.
They will come over regardless...

There is about 12 people in the team.
5 or 6 will be available to work at the forest (professionals) + maybe 2 to do less-highly-skilled work.
Others will be working elsewhere and these 5/6 will be doing other projects elsewhere too.

Don't know what the skillset will be (carpenters, electricians etc) but dave will find out soon.

Dave assures us that whatever work we can offer, high or low skilled, whatever, this team will be happy to do it.

The days they will be available to work:
Mon 16th July
Tue 17th July
Wed 18th July
Thurs 19th July (maybe)
Fri 20th July

So 4 definite days. Possibly 5.

We explained the current situation to dave. He understands and says whatever the forest needs to be done these guys will be happy to help.

So...we looked at the list of tasks tim identified to bring the theatre venue up to scratch. These are all good. Plus stage blocks, ventilation from the main room to outside and perhaps a new improved sound desk. If the situation is clearer by that stage then toilets could also be a possible project.

Dave will forward the list of tasks from the bb to the team in america.

Someone (probably called bill) will have to be a forest contact with this team at the time, drive a van around and get materials prior to arrival.

So...looking good...especially for setting up for the festival.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue May 29, 2007 12:57 am

add to the list:

upstairs toilet: floor is caving in. / replace lock.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:29 pm

The team is definitely coming over from 14th to 21st July.
They will come over regardless...

The days they will be available to work:
Mon 16th July
Tue 17th July
Wed 18th July
Thurs 19th July (maybe)
Fri 20th July
Please don't forget about this one!!!

Start to finalise the wish list.
Think about materials and money.

Yo! Theatre people! What do you need doing??
What is needed for the rest of the building?

Is Bill around?? I am not so this is the last word from me...

Somebody please speak to Mr Dave.

This will be good!

James

Post by James » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:42 pm

Gaz wrote:Yo! Theatre people! What do you need doing??
* Stage blocks; simple black cubes, with one side strong enough for people and props. If you want to get really fancy cutting hand shape holes in the sides will make moving them far far easier. I will suggest exact dimensions.

* Possibly help covering the windows (we may have to do this in August tho)

* There are several dodgy floor planks in the hall, noticeably around that pillar. Fixing them would be good.

That is all.

I have no idea what budget we have for the theatre. I should probably find out.

bill

Post by bill » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:53 pm

please suggest dimensions asap james.......

James

Post by James » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:46 pm

6 blocks.
Each block:
1M x 2M
30CM high.

The plan is these can either form a small stage in front of the alter thing or go at the back of the hall, forming a small 2 level raked thing for chairs.

I am no expert on the structural integrity of block, um, things and if the builders think these will bend in the middle or something we can resize them so they won't.

I understand the builders are arriving on the 14th? I will make time to come and talk with them before they start and make sure its all clear, say thanks and so on ...

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:55 pm

REMINDER!

as SOON as the building work is finished (or nearly) someone needs to call Malcolm Kennedy and ask him to inspect and authorize our useage.

Do NOT forget.

r

James

Post by James » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:51 am

James wrote:1M x 2M
I appear to be a moron ... I meant 2.5M :-(

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:25 pm

A couple of really small things:

Paper towel dispenser has come off the wall in the kitchen. Would be nice if they could put it back up properly.

The handle on the black, cafe door is really loose/phucked. Would be nice if it was sturdier.

And to reiterate: upstairs toilet. Very important with festival coming! And it's the disabled toilet too...