New computer for the office

chombee

New computer for the office

Post by chombee » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:04 pm

Duncan's new computer is in the office now. It is running Ubuntu by default. There is also Windows XP installed dual-boot. I installed support for many audio and video types and crap you might want to play or download over the Internet. I also installed many games, graphics applications (like photoshop), office applications, CD and DVD burning stuff, audio and video editors, etc. I tried to install a broad selection of stuff people might use.

Any questions, problems, new apps you would like to be installed, PM me.

The computer is nice and fast and running Ubuntu it will stay that way forever.

Enjoy :)

Currently only one of the office PCs can be plugged into the Internet at once, you have to swap the network cable in the back between them. We need two network cables and a switch so that we can connect them both at once. So if anyone has a spare switch, now would be a good time to drop it off ni the office.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

graeme

I have a switch I no longer need...

Post by graeme » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:21 pm

I will drop it off tomorrow night.
I also have a hub and various cat 5 cables I will bring in as well.

chris

Post by chris » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:56 pm

why games?
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

lucky

Post by lucky » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:18 pm

Games make us work harder.

Alex*
Bohnenflaschen!

chombee

Post by chombee » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:06 pm

Graeme's switch and cables are setup, both computers use the Internet at once now. I'll look into printing from Ubuntu too sometime.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

Jane

Post by Jane » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:46 pm

hey
can we make adobe acrobat on the ubuntu, or does it have its own programme that is the same? obviously the former would make me more happy because i just learned how to be an acrobat and would hate to have to relearn anything.

jxxxxx
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:20 pm

Do you mean using Adobe Acrobat to read PDF files, or to make PDF files?

Just click on or download a PDF file in Ubuntu, it will open.

If you want to create PDFs, there are many ways. Most Ubuntu programs can make a PDF file, so you just need to find the program that is best for the kind of writing or graphics or layouts you're doing and then save your work as PDF.
You can save OpenOffice stuff as PDF files, you can make PDF files with the graphics program Inkscape (which is probably the most similar thing to Adobe Illustrator, if that's what you've been using), generally most programs on Ubuntu can save whatever you have made as a PDF. Perhaps surprisingly in many programs you have to go to 'Print' and then 'print' your program into a PDF file. It's not so surprising really though, cos PDF files are for printing. Mac works the same as this too... so it is not like Windows where you have to get a special program to make PDFs. I can show you how one day when we're in the office.

- Sean

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:31 pm

has chombee lost his password or something???
I saw a piece of paper in the office saying something like that.
we can reset it...
the more you think, the more you stink