Sock Box - Altruistic Current

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
AltruisticCurrent

Sock Box - Altruistic Current

Post by AltruisticCurrent » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:04 pm

Altruistic Current is a project I set up to promote acts of kindness and compassion in communities and cities around the world. I am currently travelling around Europe facilitating events and projects and this month we want to create a Sock Box for anyone in need of clean and dry socks. In my conversations with those on the street, it can be a small thing like a fresh-dry pair of socks that can make your day. Given the amount of rain in Edinburgh, I can imagine there is a need.

I heard about your Cafe when I was searching for cool places to hang out during our stay in Edinburgh.
This is where the Forest Cafe comes in, we were hoping your would partner with us on this project by providing a space for the Sock Box. I stopped by the Cafe and noticed there was a section near the front entrance that would be out of the way and perfect for a discrete pick-up/donation drop off.

The Sock Box will be the size of a breadbox and we will write instructions on how to participate on the exterior of the box. The gist is that anyone in need of a clean/dry pair of socks can grab them. If people want to donate clean socks they can drop them off inside the bread box. We will drop off the box filled with fresh socks on Saturday, April 25.

Hope you would like to partner with us for this altruistic event and I hope anyone reading this will stop by and drop off some socks! You can read more about Alt-C on our website http://www.altc.ca

Arren

Re: Sock Box - Altruistic Current

Post by Arren » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:32 pm

Hey Mr. Current,

I think this could find a spot in our Free Shop. We've had a set of shelves dedicated to dropping off and picking up free stuff for many years now, and could certainly encourage the sock idea within it. We also do suspended coffee, so people coming by for socks could grab a hot drink too.

Hope your work is going well!

AltruisticCurrent

Re: Sock Box - Altruistic Current

Post by AltruisticCurrent » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:24 pm

Great to hear Arren! We will swing by on this Saturday to drop of the Sock Box, we are just decorating it now :) Love the suspended coffee idea, we organized a suspended baguette project in Nice last month, mainly inspired by my love of French bread and bakeries, haha!

Will you be around on Saturday?

Cheers,
Dylan