Fringey Stuff

Mister C

Fringey Stuff

Post by Mister C » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Ok folks

Moving from Facebook to the cooler climes of the BB.

Starters for 10

Can we have confirmation of the 15th for Dive and shall we set up a google calendar. I noticed that the old one we used to use for events has been hijacked for FC+, so perhaps it would some confusion if we started using that

Iain

Mister C

Re: Fringey Stuff

Post by Mister C » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:10 am

Few more thoughts

How about Jo Clifford doing a reading, should be able to swing it

Two BAFTAs - I think I can swing it to get Leo Bruge and Will Anderson to do a screening - both very talented and both BAFTA award winners. Get Atzi and SINK to do the music - very tasty

Female singer/songwriter night - Hailey/Caro Bridges/Lake Montgomery/Davno (female choir)

Arren

Post by Arren » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:56 am

I like everything there except female singer-songwriter night. We've never worried about the gender/sex of volunteers before.

Screenings sound great. What time of week/day?

When I get home I'll get a list together of bands and nights they might be suitable for. Definitely up for the calendar, how do we do it?

Grant McNeil

Post by Grant McNeil » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Agree with Arren re Gender though those performers are all great.

I've still to speak to you all about where we're at but I'm currently trying to book Daniel Sage. Here is the latest e-mail from his agent:

Yes Grant yes! sign him up! They only night he can't do is August 10th, but August 9th,11th,12th,13th,14th are all fine. Let me know the details and send a press list over if you have one.

and the initial e-mail:

Hi, my name is Sonny Bellingham.

I have an experimental rock'n'roll/folk artist from North Carolina to present to you in hopes of playing the Forest Fringe sometime between August 9th and 12th.
He is starting to ruffle feathers and drop bird doo on the pretentious artists here in the US with his brand of psychedelic folk garage rock. The show would be solo acoustic w/ electric capability...
We think he would go over well in Scotland and especially the Forest Fringe! Here is his official website which has his bio and music:

http://danielsagemusic.com
http://www.reverbnation.com/danielsage/

Thanks for your consideration and let me know if you have any openings on any of those 4 days! If you'd like us to find another band for Mr. Sage to play with we have one in mind, they are called Sister Chain and Brother John.

Thanks!
Sonny B.

So what dates are available?
If I could be handed over one of those dates to put a night on that would be best. If Billy's available to play I think that could work nice. I know he's been rehearsing with the Walking Targets and I'd be keen to hear Billy&Band but Solo would be great too. I liked the Sister Chain group Sonny recommends too.
Right now I'm thinking Daniel Sage, Sister Chain and Brother John, Billy solo or with band and I might put myself on. I've been working on an electric set and might get a drummer/band together.

xx

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:41 am

Ok google calendar is set up, you should have invites to join the calendar. I'm seeing Annabel on Sunday to have a chat. 15th is the agreed date?

C

Grant McNeil

Post by Grant McNeil » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Could someone can confirm a date I can have for Daniel Sage asap?

Depending on what is happening on Saturday 9th we could put him on then, if not Mon 11th-Thur 14th were his other available dates.

Ta x

Arren

Post by Arren » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Stevie may be able to clarify further but i think all Saturdays were earmarked for something. Mon11th also taken. From memory his other dates are free. We should start filling that calndar right away to make this stuff easirr.

Iain, could you ask Annabel whether her show would suit something afterwards? If 'yes' I think we should offer her two nights, if 'no' maybe just one. Do people agree?

X

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Folks

I'm a bit confused here, on the FB thread folks were saying that the 15th was provisionally OK, now your saying it looks like it isn't. I really don't want to to mess people about. So please confirm the date as I am seeing her tomorrow.

The nature of the 'Dive' parties will mean it's extremely unlikely that you can sandwich anything in afterwards

Arren

Post by Arren » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:19 pm

15th is good for DIVE.

We need a date for Annabel's solo show, based around a seance. Totally separate except that she's doing both.

DIVE definitely gets a full night, I was hoping you'd ask her whether her solo show would finish in time to put things on afterwards.

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:42 pm

A wee suggestion, see what folks think. Given that the fringe will be a very busy period, with hopefully lots of acts performing at the Forest, would it be prudent to have a dedicated administrator/organiser person to field calls/emails/take bookings basically project manage this. Any thoughts/suggestions

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:07 pm

Sweet.,will ask about the solo show

Grant McNeil

Post by Grant McNeil » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:26 pm

Iain that role is sort of what I was putting myself forward for in the last August thread. I wasn't able to make the meeting on Tuesday which rules me out of doing that, at least until I'm up to speed.

However I think now if we keep a team of five of us, we communicate well and we use the google calender it would work best.

Would someone - Arren or Stephen - be able to get the calender filled in soon then we can all see where we're at?

Once that's done, we can see what dates are free, register our intent on this thread, then fill in the google calender when we confirm bookings.

I'm sure I have grossly oversimplified but that would be my suggestion for how we go about things generally.

Open to other suggestions.

xx

Grant McNeil

Post by Grant McNeil » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Will FB Stephen to confirm date

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Sorry folk I'm just getting in the loop, so if go over areas that have been discussed. Apologies in advance. Is there any minutes, rough notes or failing that a chance for someone to give me a summary.

One other thing I know we can't always get everyone to meet up but if we could avoid the 4-5 slot it gives me more chance to attend. My shifts tend to be 9-5 or 4-12

Arren

Post by Arren » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:56 pm

I can try to get some stuff in the calendar during my NM shift tonight, but it's Stevie who noted everything in the most organised way on Tues. Will do what I can!

Agreed a full meet-up is prudent.

X

Arren

Post by Arren » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Barely making a start on that and won't have any time tomorrow, but how's this for a system:

-When you talk to someone, gather dates that work for them and keep things provisional.
-Check the calendar and if the first-choice date is free, make an entry.
-Orange for provisional dates, green for confirmed.
-In the 'details' section, write actions needed before full confirmation. Can eventually start to include event managers, tech specs, contact details etc. (everything we require for the events book).

Something along those lines should avoid double-booking, cancellations, mix-ups. How does it sound? Tried it for DIVE pending Iain's meeting with Annabel.

X

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Sounds like a plan :)

Arren

Post by Arren » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:56 am

It looks as though I've filled in half the calendar using the wrong time-zone! Things that should start at 1930 Thu are starting 0030 Fri. Will fix when I get a chance but caution is advised until then!

Grant McNeil

Post by Grant McNeil » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:12 pm

Ross Neilson gig confirmed for Monday 11th

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:35 pm

Ok

So had a chat with Annabel. Few things to check on, what time are we closing during the festival? Are they able to use the upstairs area as well as downstairs.

Also Annabel isn't doing anything else apart apart from Dive. You may have been talking to the other Annabel who does 'Annabel sings' at Henrys early evening cabaret. Too many Annabels!

Iain

Arren

Post by Arren » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:45 pm

3am close, yes to upstairs but no amplified live music and needs to be calmed down about 11 (though by no means silent).

I entirely thought Miss Annabel Sings was both! I will sort the seance now I know. That explains some other confusions!

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Em Hard rock Monday Is apparently happening on the 11th too, we could ask dead white males if the want to do that as well?
Could this fit with Ross Nielson?

Ed has confirmed the 2nd for Decagram
Soundproof is on the 9th
I think we should try and ear mark other Saturdays for Birthday and Happening.

The night with Daniel sage sounds good and I would place it either on the Wednesday or the Thursday.

This feels all a little out of control in my opinion as well.

I suggest we meet up every week until August so we can all be on the same calendar in the same time zone.

What days suit for this week? I can do Tuesday after 7, Wednesday after 7 and any time Thursday

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Sent this to max today
Hey Max how about the 8th 14th 21st 22nd are possible if you would like.

Let us know what suits best soon?

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:11 pm

Thursday good for me

Arren

Post by Arren » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:42 pm

In what way out of control? Calendar looks pretty good to me so far. Should find any clashes really early on this way.

Dunno about Hard Rock Monday coinciding with Ross Neilson. It obviously could if it's upstairs until midnight then downstairs til 3. Really doubt it could with Dead White Males on the bill.

If we decide to move Ross it should be to the Sunday he asked for. The event does sound interesting. Actually, the Monday is certain to be busy anyway so why don't we just do that?

I can do daytime Thu, will be event managing from six. When are people thinking?

What is 'the Happening'?

Any mo

Arren

Post by Arren » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:47 pm

Argh Stevie the 8th is not available for Max. It's Less is Mor.

That was meant on the 7th entered in the wrong time zone. Could you correct this with him? I will correct all time-zone errors tonight. Also you could let him know that if he takes 14th Jen and the Gents are enquiring about a set that night.

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:38 pm

More thoughts. Golden Hour. Do you Ryan could do it. Know he's busy. Shall we ask? Forest Fringe? I know there's politics but would they be interested?

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:42 pm

I think this is what by out of control?

Google calendar does not allow for effective communication and whilst we are in the planning stage it would be good to be able to write wee notes about possible events.

Okay so less is more is friday, I get it now. very confusing time zone issue.

I had no idea about jen and then gents? I will tell him other nights. If we get pencilled in requests they need also to go on the calender so we can all see what possibilities we have.

I am also very confused by the ross neilsons. One we have given for this night of band and singer songwriters? This concerns me and we can not verify its merit or track record.

The other Ross wanted what sunday as non stuff have 3rd and 17th. What was his night, just one act?

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Thursday at 5 good for people?

We should ask Ryan.
Wednesday was his historical spot.

Forest Fringe have been asked, I sent an email to Andy a while ago asking if he had any ideas for linking cafe and Forest Fringe. We got the email that Rachel ended up dealing with from the punk group who she knew from latitude. Unfortunately the only day they could do was the week after the fringe finishes, 28th I think, we should still put them on though.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:50 pm

these dates for Max a possibility, 7th, 13th 21st and 22nd ?

Arren

Post by Arren » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Jen and the Gents want in on someone else's night, one of their possibilities is 14th. If that night goes to Max he might want to know they're an option. 14th is definitely a good one for Max. So 7th, 14th, 21st, 22nd would all work. I kinda hope he wants the Friday, they're great fun.

Yeah the time zone thing was pretty daft. I am fixing it as we speak.

The only Ross Neilson we are dealing with is the guy who has one band backing several (I think four) songwriters. That sounds interesting to me, and is currently booked to clash with Hard Rock Monday on the 11th. He was also asking about the 10th (Sun), which we said no to. If we are wanting to make Hard Rock Monday into a basement event we would need to move Ross. The only option that wouldn't be shit to him is the 10th. I think he merits it, do other people? I would be very reluctant to cancel or mess him around more, it could be really good having outside people taking over whole nights.

The other Ross Neilson is nothing now. He was trying to book 2 nights for a cover band and should never have gone in the book. It is definitely not the same person.

Glad we're meeting as well, you're right that the BB and calendar are not proving very clear. 5pm Thursday works for me.

X

Arren

Post by Arren » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Just read the description of 'The Happening'. Looks well good.

You can add notes to Google Calendar events if you click 'edit event', and can put the confirmed events in green, too. Without clicking through you can do only title and time.

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:22 am

Folks can we do 6. I'll still be at work

Grant McNeil

Post by Grant McNeil » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Have e-mailed Daniel Sage's agent offering Thursday 14th first then Wednesday 13th if that date would work better for him.
Could probably fit Jen and the Gents on the bill on 14th. They'd also compliment The Beautiful Word nicely.

xx

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Hey

I'll be able to make it for 5 on Thursday. Fortunately I'll be up the road in Lauriston that day. But as requested try not to have meetings 4/5 time as I will be at work.

Looking at the calendar it seems to be shaping up. I think we have enough in the way of the music now, so perhaps try to get some different acts in.

Speaking of which spoke to Ryan, he's keen on doing Laser Vision. Need to talk dates

C

Grant McNeil

Post by Grant McNeil » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:08 am

Daniel Sage booked for Wednesday 13th. Thursday 14th still free. I have written him in the paper diary in the Tomahawk.

Arren

Post by Arren » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Yeah more non-music stuff would be great! We should think about regular low-maintenance daytime stuff upstairs. Unplugged things, participatory things... stuff that wouldn't cause problems if nobody showed up (in case of lovely weather).

Miss Annabel Sings' event Psychomanteum is sounding incrdible. Two Tuesdays booked. Based around a seance with bands. First one Black Cat Bone and the Violent Mood Swings (Baz Simpson's band). Second one unknown, hopefully Kabaret Bastardo and The Phlegm

Arren

Post by Arren » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:30 pm

Jen and the Gents are available 14th, 16th, 17th. 16th is birthday party, should we invite them along??

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:50 pm

Folks

Hope you don't mind cobbled together a rough agenda, as it sounds as though we won't have too much time. Feel free to add.

Suggested points

Review acts booked/timings/dates
Prospective bookings eg Culture laser
Resources needed eg sound techs
Promotion eg printing brochure/twitter/Facebook

Is this OK?

Iain

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Ok

So Ryan wants to do culture laser, 6th August, 6 pm, poss 2 hours upstairs. As it's going to be redcording will need some quiet. Are we cool with this?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:23 pm

I know I'm coming in pretty late on this, and sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, but that's what I do, and I'm curious to know: what was decided about the female singer/songwriter night?

Because the 'gender doesn't matter' trope is total nonsense from my point of view, and if Forest has never cared about such things (which I also think is not completely true), that's only because much like the rest of the world, Forest exists pretty comfortably in the male-as-standard bubble. To say we don't need to worry about gender, is like that nasty UKIP dude saying it's racist to mention that there are no black people on the cover of their magazine. I hyperbolise, perhaps, but I think you get my drift.

We do need to worry about gender (and race, and class, and ability, and a whole bunch of other categories), because white-hetero-male-able bodied-middle class things are assumed to be standard. Those of us who do not fit into these categories often do not find space for ourselves and many times need to deliberately carve it out. Forest, in my humble opinion, should be a space where this can happen.

Big love from the crip crew in Berlin. x

katymac

Post by katymac » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:01 pm

Good to have your nose Shannon. I agree with you - carving out more room is exactly what Forest should be for. It's rare to have a female-only bill, and totally commonplace to have a male-only one or for the balance to be way out. It's worth thinking carefully how to define a female-only event so it doesn't end up excluding another marginalised group of people but that's not the same as not doing it at all.

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:06 pm

Folks

Obviously I agree as I suggested it. I do not think it's politically incorrect to have a female singer/songwriter evening. For those reasons outlined. We've had female only events with illicit ink, science festival etc, none of whom you'd accuse of being sexist. Besides it is a genre in itself, the style of music and deserves to be recognised.

I should add that other groups are not marginalised for example we will be hosting 'Dive' a celebration of gay culture.

Iain

Arren

Post by Arren » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:59 pm

Guess we should do it then!

I don't disagree with taking active steps to redress long-standing inequality, I think that's very important. My initial instinct against it was that I have seen the Forest as a very gender equal place, and have celebrated many times being able to just think in terms of 'people' here. This may be hopelessly naive but is all that was behind my reaction.

Grant McNeil

Post by Grant McNeil » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:18 pm

Just a reminder that 45s still to go ahead as normal. 4-7pm Wednesdays xx

Grant McNeil

Post by Grant McNeil » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:10 pm

updated calender for 45s

Arren

Post by Arren » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:11 am

Rachel's (quite amazing) poet friend hosts a slam in Glasgow which twice has only invited female performers but not mentioned anything on the billing. I like this idea a lot for loads of reasons, main one being it says 'this is not a big deal' about a gender situation people won't come across often. What do people think?

I am also well up for commiting to zero all-male bills organised by us for the whole month. So far this looks likely whether we commit to it or not, which doesn't surprise me as the only all-male bills I've seen at Forest in the last year have been wholly outside jobs.

swithun

Post by swithun » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Yes, I think doing all-women events without mentioning the lack of Y chromosomes is the way to go. It is like giving French people vegetarian food without mentioning the lack of meat. If you don't tell them, they won't notice.

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:13 am

Yep totally agree,

Arren

Post by Arren » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Excellent. Feels like an elegant approach. Iain would you contact Caro?

On an unrelated note, we have a rather exciting bit of interest from Mighty Oak Sound System. Big reggae collective who want to do an 11-3 set one of our big nights. Could be amazing. Any thoughts on where to put them?