mission

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Shannon

mission

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:45 pm

To encourage critical thinking, discussion and action on local and global environmental, social and economic conditions. The Community working group aims to provide a space where diverse perspectives are able to meet, share and learn about issues affecting ourselves, and the wider community we are part of.

[This is a very broad first draft - comments and criticisms are very welcome and appreciated.]

chris

Post by chris » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:46 am

please can we not call it the 'community working group', how about: 'the non-politically aligned working group', that way it is very clear what it is, and what it isnt.

or you could call it 'ethics and morals'

i think 'community' is too ambiguous.
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:50 am

I'm not particularly happy with 'community' either, but I really haven't come up with an alternative name that will be appropriate. I don't 'the non-politically aligned..' or 'ethics&morals' works.

chris

Post by chris » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:02 am

why you not like?
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Jane

Post by Jane » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:32 am

"the non-politically aligned working group" makes it sound like all the other groups are politically aligned.

i like e&m
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:56 am

I like ethics & morals as a laugh - but are we okay with presenting it to the world that way?

What about 'community issues?' Slightly less vague, or perhaps moreso?

beev

Post by beev » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:43 pm

The name and the mission are both good. Ethics & morals is ridiculous. It makes us sound like a bunch of fundamentalist religionists.

It doesn't matter if the name of the WG is ambiguous (strategy and details, anyone?) The name does not suggest anything bad. That is good. For disambiguation, look at the mission - that is completely unambiguous.

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:09 pm

What about the
prevention of vice and the promotion of virtue
Pep Up The Turmoil

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:10 pm

or
the prevention of virtue and the promotion of vice.
Pep Up The Turmoil

danny

Politics

Post by danny » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:09 pm

Sounds like what's going on is much the same as what Bryonie was doing with the politics group ages ago. Why not just call it "politics" work group? Or a funky forestised work for the same thing if it seems like too much of a scary word. "Local action" maybe?.. I think "Community" is just misleading.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:17 pm

I'm still unhappy with this name, and I think others in the group are, as well.

How about the 'Community Activism' or just 'Activism' working group? Local Action ain't bad either.

Something slightly more descriptive is needed - the mission isn't always on hand when encouraging people to come along or talking about the next meeting/event... It's a hard one to mobilise around.

lucky

Post by lucky » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:13 pm

I agree a more appropriate name is needed.

It's really important to get this right. We know by the mission statement what it's about. We also know what it means to ourselves individually, but do you know what everyone else thinks is the same. Do you know what I'm thinking? Is this the card you were thinking of? Exactly!

Because there's a lot of bad press associated with activists and anything to do with politics (which is completely open to interpretation from far to many angles) I would suggest not using such words.

*I would prefer the word politics is not used at all* because I've, in the past two days, had so many discussions on what this means, and to be blunt I feel the simple fact of misinterpretation may be the cause of some ill feelings and, unfortunately, misinterpretation of what this whole thing's about.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I am aiming to do good, positive things both large and small through this group. I hope everyone else is too.

Thanks, Alex*
Bohnenflaschen!

dan

Post by dan » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:27 pm

yeah i also think use of the word politics is a big no-no, also as far as I know you can't be a registered charity AND be political (overtly). This is to disallow party politics being represented as charitable. In the past to get over this we just called it community education (or commed to those in the know...). It's a crap name. but it's a name. and then when spirits got higher it got called Ethics and Morals. Well actually that wasn't really the politik working group, that was just me sitting on a high horse.
I hope this has helped and not hindered
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:32 pm

Community Action???

dan

Post by dan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:20 am

Shannon wrote:Community Action???
Hooray!
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

lucky

Post by lucky » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:12 pm

Yeah! I think that's perfect.

Action. Making stuff happen. Making a better community.

We're so amazing.

Alex*
Bohnenflaschen!

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Sounds very good.

I'll change the name of this forum then.
the more you think, the more you stink