Forest Gains Coverage at Parliament

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Keni

Forest Gains Coverage at Parliament

Post by Keni » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:45 am

The Forest was mentioned during Culture & External Affairs Question Time on Thursday 08 September. The exchange started following a PQ from Gordon MacDonald (SNP, Edinburgh Pentlands):
  • To ask the Scottish Government how it supports the Edinburgh festivals and how it will help them to increase their international appeal. (S4O-00137)
Fiona Hyslop, the SNP Linlithgow MSP & Culture Secretary, extolled the Scottish Government's commitment to the Edinburgh festivals, having invested £8m over four years "to enable new talent and creativity to flourish."

Next, Alison Johnstone (Greens, Lothian) then asked Ms Hyslop a supplemental constitutional question:
  • Is the Minister aware of the current threat to the much-loved and well-used arts venue, the Forest, in Edinburgh city centre? Would she be prepared to meet representatives of the Forest as they work to secure a long-term home?
The Culture Secretary replied thus:
  • The Forest Fringe hosted another eclectic programme during the August period and I understand that the venue is in the process of fundraising. I would be happy to let the Member know who it might be most appropriate for Forest representatives to meet at this stage of their fundraising efforts and if it is appropriate for me to meet them that would also be a step forward.

Marco Biagi has also raised the issue with me, but it might be helpful to find out who it would be most appropriate to meet, particularly at this early stage, which I think involves a fundraising effort.
The full exchange is available here -> http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/apps2 ... #iob_58125

Marco Biagi (SNP, Edinburgh Central) has offered to host a meeting at Holyrood, which we hope to arrange shortly. We intend to invite all the Lothian MSPs to this meeting and representatives from the Scottish Government, hopefully the Culture & Digital Directorate. As the Forest is an inclusive sort, we'll also examine whether it is possible to include Edinburgh councillors and Creative Scotland representitves in the meeting.

Meanwhile, you can help by contributing to our fundraising efforts (http://ow.ly/6lPWh) and joining the 148 people to date who have helped us reach 16% of our total. You can also contact your MSPs and Edinburgh councillors to explain why the Forest is so important and wht they should help the cause. Remind them to dip into their pocket while they're at it. Grin.

Onwards & upwards comrades.[/color]
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

Keni

Re: Forest Gains Coverage at Parliament

Post by Keni » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Alison Johnstone, the Lothians' Green MSP, lodged a motion in support of the Forest (S4M-00826) on Friday:
  • A Future for The Forest—That the Parliament regrets the recent closure of The Forest, Edinburgh’s much-loved, open-access, multi-arts and events space; commends the volunteers who have run The Forest for the past 11 years and supports their recent WeFund campaign to raise the deposit needed to buy the building that was The Forest’s home until this summer; understands that the pledge drive to raise £100,000 by 1 October 2011 is one of the biggest arts funding pledge drives ever run in the UK; welcomes the cabinet secretary’s offer to ensure that representatives of The Forest are given the opportunity to meet her and officials to discuss the organisation’s future, and believes that support from the Scottish Government, alongside the efforts of hardworking volunteers, can help protect the future of what is considered this flagship venue and social enterprise.

Two other MSPs - Patrick Harvie (Glasgow, Greens) & Paul Wheelhouse (SNP, South of Scotland) - had signed it by the end of the day & I understand more Lothian MSPs have already done so today.

Please contact your MSPs & tell them to sign the motion. Find out who they are & how to do so here -> http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/msp/m ... Finder.htm. Explain to them why the Forest is important to you and the arts scene as a whole, keeping it simple for the darlings. The more support we receive nationally, the stronger our case is. This is especially true when asking folk to put their money where their mouths are. After all, verbal support is only as good as the paper it is written on.

Onwards & upwards!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

lucyj

Post by lucyj » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:13 am

I got a reply from Malcolm Chisolm... he's signed another to add. xl

lucyj

Post by lucyj » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:02 pm

and Mike MacKenzie too.....