On stage gear issue.

Action room, screen printing, darkroom, Bristo Hall, Cave, AV equipment
brittonie

On stage gear issue.

Post by brittonie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Dear lovies....

it has come to my attention via others and whitnessed by myself something that really needs to not happen.

Gear should not be removed from the stage while a performer is in the middle of something.

It is %500 rude and way Way WAY unprofessional.

I don't care if it needs to be in the cave.

wait until the performer has stopped, and quietly excuse yourself and ask for the piece of equipment.

Ive seen two different people do this. I don't know what the rules are, but i'm sure all of us will agree as perhaps sometime performer/musician/poets and often audience members that it's total crap and needs to stop.

Love you all, sorry for my rant.
xox
wet, dirty and dangerous.

dylanross

Re: On stage gear issue.

Post by dylanross » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:32 pm

I agree completely with this post. I've seen a number of people get on stage without permission from performers to collect equipment in the middle of an act. It's very unprofessional!

On a sort of semi-related note, is there any chance of getting a sign/ barrier in front of the sound area? Over the past week I've seen non-volunteering people wander back there and go through forest equipment without any permission. When I see people do this I ask them to leave the area but I'm a little worried somebody might go unnoticed and we'd end up losing gear or having equipment broken by people who aren't trained in using it. It might also be useful if kitchen volunteers could keep an eye out for people going back there who shouldn't. Maybe a notice to kitchen vollies could be put behind the counter?

Dylan

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:34 pm

yup, sounds totaly out of order to get up on the stage while someone is performing.
And yes we really need to ask any one we don't recognise being behind the sound area to leave or why they are there. could be easy to build a wee hinged door so it obvious and if they say they did not know we can be like well there is a looked door which you opened etc. there is A fair bit of expensive equipment there and beer spilt on the desk is also a worry.
Great work on the sound side of things recently by the way, hall looks great august should be fun.

One thing we should really have two sets of working turntables in the building for august, four decks and two mixers, this would be good to get sorted soon.

see you soon

dylanross

Post by dylanross » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:24 am

I think there's four turntables hanging around downstairs? I'm not sure if these are available to be used in the forest or if somebody is just storing them but Chris Palmer assures me they're all functional. Think there's a couple DJ mixers too. We used one of them at meadows fest so I'd assume we can use them in the cafe/ hall.

I think a hinged door is a great idea for the sound area. Do we have tools/ hinges/ wood in the forest? Maybe we could have it padlocked through the day and have the engineer pick up a key from behind the counter when they arrive? It's not necessarily needed but should be pretty cheap and it's not too much of an extra hastle for whoever's on.

Dylan

Keni

Post by Keni » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:03 am

I put a black piece of wood in the balcony today that has hinges on it that would make a good hatch. That would then give more surface area when the area is in use. Just an idea.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

gaia

Post by gaia » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:38 am

The hinged door is good idea but having a padlock on it would be extra hassle for café volunteers - we do have to access the sound area several times per day to open/close the window, access the fan and so on.

Keni

Post by Keni » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:08 am

I don't think it would need a padlock on it, just a slide bolt or equivalent would do. We just need something that would cause people to pause afore entering & give folk in the kitchen time enough to give them the once over afore questioning them if necessary.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:41 pm

i can install the door later on today

I'll paint a clear notice on it that the area is for volunteer and sound people's use (in some sort of short and sweet way)

don't think a bolt is really needed either. I believe that just the door will present enough of a visual barrier for people to gather they're not meant to be back there.

Like the kitchen, it's all open but people know they don't belong on the other side of the counter.

xox <3
wet, dirty and dangerous.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:37 pm

brittonie wrote: Like the kitchen, it's all open but people know they don't belong on the other side of the counter.
Kitchen used to have a door, but it got taken out in the great kitchen refit of 2009(?).
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:58 am

I got on stage to retrieve a Cave amp last week, but I did wait until a song was finished.

The tension here is between respect for performers and respect for people who've paid to use our space. It would a whole lot fucken easier to resolve if people respected the Caves and didn't keep hauling their equipment all over the building. Or at least moved it back when they're done. I labelled every piece of equipment that belongs in the Cave with "Cave" and "Cave 2" -- it's not roocket science.
One thing we should really have two sets of working turntables in the building for august, four decks and two mixers, this would be good to get sorted soon
We've got four decks and one mixer, recently serviced, which are being kept in the Bunker.

nix

Post by nix » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:10 pm

Quote:
One thing we should really have two sets of working turntables in the building for august, four decks and two mixers, this would be good to get sorted soon

We've got four decks and one mixer, recently serviced, which are being kept in the Bunker.
This needs double-checked,

I tried to find a working turntable for the Meadows and both of the two I tried did not work.