Leith Festival - anybody up for a parade?

robrwo

Leith Festival - anybody up for a parade?

Post by robrwo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:24 am

Hi All,

We have the option of participating in the Leith Festival this year (10-19 June, http://www.leithfestival.com) - not just to have some events at The Forest listed in the programme (it would be as the Festival supporting the Forest), but also to participate in the parade (!!! - June 11 or 12).

Anyone interested?

Rob

HGiles

Re: Leith Festival - anybody up for a parade?

Post by HGiles » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:45 am

I reckon there are some fantastic opportunities to do a bit of outreach here, which Forest is often sorely lacking. We can raise some awareness of what we do, and show that we're up for participating in community projects. Here's what we've been offered by Leith Festival, thanks to Rob chasing them up:

- Free listings for 1 or 2 events in the Leith Festival Programme (there's usually a fee). This could be absolutely anything, but the deadline's Friday at the latest. The dates are 10-19 June. If nothing else, I reckon we could list a big music-and-poetry fundraiser, to be held in Forest, and then figure out the details later. Thoughts? Suggestions?

- A stall at the Gala Day. We could sell some food, run a petition, take donations, hand out flyers, do anything that'd be useful. It'll cost us £45, but I reckon we could make that back with only 6 or 7 people putting in a couple days effort. Any volunteers? Deadline here is mid-May.

- A place in the parade. Oh please can we do this please? We could dress up and make some giant puppets or something and then be a lovely Foresty presence in a big community event. And hand out a load of flyers/formsd. Can only do us good fundraising-wise. Ideas? Deadline for this one coming up in the next few weeks.

This is a great set of opportunities, and I don't want to miss out!

AnneSof

Post by AnneSof » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:55 pm

HGiles wrote:- A stall at the Gala Day. We could sell some food, run a petition, take donations, hand out flyers, do anything that'd be useful. It'll cost us £45, but I reckon we could make that back with only 6 or 7 people putting in a couple days effort. Any volunteers? Deadline here is mid-May.
I'd be up for helping out with the stall, would be be selling as in selling or selling as in "suggested donations"?

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:16 am

yehaaayyy, yes! Let's go outside! I really like the idea of having a place on the parade, would be happy to help out with this + with the stall.
..Kata

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Tue May 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Got this in my inbox today.
Leith Festival Gala Day – Saturday 11th June 2011
Parade Form
THE THEME FOR 2010 IS - ‘The Monsters Are Coming’
The PARADE starts at 12pm. on Saturday 11th June 2011, from Lochend Park.
All participants, bands, groups, charities, etc. will assemble at Lochend Park by 11:30am and take their position as allocated, to set-off at 12pm prompt.
Anyone else up for it? Would basically mean dressing up wild, maybe building some big Foresty decoration to carry with us, maybe having some music, and being part of a big community celebration. Not much work, not many direct benefits apart from being part of something fun and doing more community outreach. Will need a core of people with energy and making-stuff skills. Say aye!

alba

Post by alba » Tue May 03, 2011 11:30 pm

ok, I say yes!

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Wed May 04, 2011 10:57 am

The Monster are Coming :twisted:
Definitely want to help!
only when the clock stops does time come to life

robrwo

Post by robrwo » Thu May 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Anyone else up for it? Would basically mean dressing up wild, maybe building some big Foresty decoration to carry with us, maybe having some music, and being part of a big community celebration. Not much work, not many direct benefits apart from being part of something fun and doing more community outreach. Will need a core of people with energy and making-stuff skills. Say aye!
Great! When's the (next?) meeting for the parade?

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Mon May 09, 2011 8:30 am

If we go ahead with this, I'm gonna have to pass on co-ordinating it to someone else -- a little too much on my plate! If anyone's into it, let me know and I'll pass you the details.

RachelMcCrum

Post by RachelMcCrum » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:45 pm

Hello all

A little late in the day to be jumping on board perhaps, but is this happening? Would love a chance to dress up and wave some stuff...

xx
'I will meet you at Up-To-No-Good.'