health and safety feedback - for the building

Front of House, garden etc.
scoutwinter

health and safety feedback - for the building

Post by scoutwinter » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:51 am

just received the letter from John Cook, Environmental Health Officer with Edinburgh Council.
Here's what we need to fix:

1. Lighting standards within some parts of your workplace were inadequate he mentioned this when standing outside the cave/workshop doors - the light isn't working there - you should carry out an assessment to ensure that suitable levels of lighting are provided

2. WC facilities were found to be untidy - The WC compartments should be cleared of all extraneous articles and thereafter should be maintained in a clean and tidy condition

3. the floor surface in the basement presents a risk of injury from slips, trips or falls - Floors or surfaces of traffic routes must have no hole or slope or be uneven or slippery so as to expose any person to a risk to his health or safety and they shall have an effective means of drainage where necessary. All floors should be kept free from obstructions and from any article or substance which may cause a person to slip, trip or fall he mentioned this when looking at the floor outside the fridge, he mentioned we should repaint it

4. there does not appear to be a system in place to identify defects in ladders - a system should be implemented to ensure that ladders are regularly checked to identify any defects that may give rise to risk to safety i.e. falls from height well we do have a ladder use policy which he didn't ask to see, but i guess there are several ladders kind of lying around at the moment and maybe it's time to re-inspect them

5. the storage of materials and redundant or seldom used equipment in the space containing the organ is unacceptable and presents a fire risk - remove the material or ensure that the storage is maintained in a clean and tidy manner which reduces the fire risk

this letter and the inspection notices will be filed in the kitchen area of the filing cabinet for now

scoutt

scoutwinter

Re: health and safety feedback - for the building

Post by scoutwinter » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:52 am

actually, this shouldn't be too much work to figure out. we could maybe close for a day or two to repaint the basement

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:38 pm

A ladder use policy?! Wowzers.

alba

Post by alba » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:59 pm

we could maybe close for a day or two to repaint the basement
I believe this work can be directed to the front of the house, but still not good as my all works, the organization of work and other projects in the forest ... Am I wrong thinking that the front of the house can make this work? :?

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:23 pm

A ladder use policy?! Wowzers.
you betcha. part of the scramble for h&s approval last year... available now from the forest office...

ken

Post by ken » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:10 pm

make basement painting day a general action day. The cafe could do with some floor maintenance, and I'm sure there is other stuff. Let's get a list and figure out what could be done around the essential floor stuff and co-ordinate it. It could be amazing!
consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds

chris

Post by chris » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:21 pm

sounds like a cool idea ken!

xx
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

nix

Post by nix » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Yes!

I was looking at the Cafe floor today, and I think its time, and the paint on the stairs needs doing.

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:54 am

chris, as esteemed building manager, can you compile a list of achievable tasks?
I am happy to help out on the day, it had better be in the next 2 weeks I reckon.
any days when cafe and hall are free, and we'll need to book out or cancel bookings for cave, darkroom & screen printing room if we're painting the basement floor.

chris

Post by chris » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:08 am

Ok.

If everyone posts things they think/know need doing, (I'll add my own), then I can co-ordinate this. Lets aim to do it this coming Monday 28th.

Here is an intitial list:

Sort out sound equipment and area.
Fix leaking water tank above kitchen.
Fix/sort kitchen lights
Clean basement floor (morning). Paint basement floor (late afternoon).
clean/sort action room/hall/balconies (we will be making a start on this on Thursday, if anyone is around to help).
Clean cafe windows.
Paint over graffiti around the cafe and on the front of building.
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

simone

Post by simone » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 am

i don't know that doing the floor in the cafe is wise with us probably not being here long term. it is a big job and expensive and needs the cafe to be closed for a good few days for it to dry properly.
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
(Billy Bragg)

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:20 pm

cool.
mondays is our regular cleaning day, which will still need to be done, but we can move that to tuesday morning, nae bother.
regards cafe floor: I agree with simone on that one. perhaps we could scrape up all the chewing gum though...
and for the basement floor, would that be enough time to dry? maybe we could ask someone awesome to volunteer to mop it well on sunday night, so it's clean & dry on monday morning and therefore the paint will have more time to dry...

do you want to make a post about this on the People's Forum? we will provide snacks and tea/coffee.

one more thing is those lights above the couches that we never ended up fixing. if we repaired them then we could ditch that horrible umbrella lamp.

Keni

Post by Keni » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Is it worth adding sealing/silicating the kitchen sinks?

As an old scrubber, I'm happy to mop the basement floor on Sunday evening. What time would I be able to start though? I'm down for the 10-1500 shift that day so can do it after I've had my scran or later if needs be.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

chris

Post by chris » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:57 pm

clean/sweep the garden steps emergency exit route
put up the new kitchen signs

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:19 pm

Keni - and anyone else in the kitchen - maybe we could close a little earlier that night (if it's not already booked) for example at 9.30pm or so and then mop: unfortunately it might be useful to clean a little of the floor inside the toilets too
do the toilet floors need repainting too?
who's night manager that night?

gaia

Post by gaia » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:28 pm

scoutwinter wrote:
who's night manager that night?
As far as I know no-one's signed up yet (unless Mira did tonight?).

Another job:
  • Get rid of the little guy living in the freezer room (saw it four times in the last three days).

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:14 pm

another one?
but they're so cute.

gaia

Post by gaia » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:53 pm

I know! :(
I was actually thinking of a non-lethal way to get rid of them.

(call me a tree hugger)

Lien

Post by Lien » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:27 pm

I can make (aka. screenprint) the Aprons, with the Forest eat me logo !
Just one thing; I need to find these household drudges, somebody a idea where I can find white cotton aprons?

L.

ken

Post by ken » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Hewatts, just round the corner, sell all that kind of stuff
consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds

katymac

Post by katymac » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:19 pm

gaia wrote:I know! :(
I was actually thinking of a non-lethal way to get rid of them.

(call me a tree hugger)
I think those plugs that create the electrical 'noise' http://www.pest-stop.co.uk/electronic-p ... stop-2000/ have worked in my flat. They are quite expensive, and they do expire, but they're relatively humane, depending on how you feel about forced evictions.

chris

Post by chris » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:33 pm

sorry to be boring!

But we already have a pest control contract, so I'll give them a call and get em to check it out. The electrical things are a waste of money in this case, as the building is so large they'll just go elsewhere (assuming they work in the first place!)

xx

simone

Post by simone » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:29 pm

i moved the night lights from last night on the stairs today as was paranoid in case firemen came in and saw them, but they left wax all over the stairs, maybe this is too much of a give away but i was not prepared to scrape wax off, or am i being too paranoid about h and s?
is it the theatre people, should we tell them not to use them? and get them to scrape off wax while learning their lines.
the area on landing outside hall doors seems to be really messy recently, is it the same people causing mess or just lots of different people?
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
(Billy Bragg)

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:44 pm

the last aprons I got were about £3 each from Nisbetts, online.
it might be wiser to get BLACK aprons and screenprint them in a light colour, as they will look less disgusting.

alternatively, you could organise a workshop to make lots of aprons, from multicoloured whatever. they'd be beautiful!

x

gaia

Post by gaia » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:45 pm

So, is the cafe gonna be closed on the 28th?

chris

Post by chris » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Hey - most of this council stuff is now done,

just received the letter from John Cook, Environmental Health Officer with Edinburgh Council.
Here's what we need to fix:

1. Lighting standards within some parts of your workplace were inadequate he mentioned this when standing outside the cave/workshop doors - the light isn't working there - you should carry out an assessment to ensure that suitable levels of lighting are provided
- NEW EMERGENCY LIGHTS AT END OF CORRIDOR OUTSIDE CAVE, AND IN THE WORKSHOP

2. WC facilities were found to be untidy - The WC compartments should be cleared of all extraneous articles and thereafter should be maintained in a clean and tidy condition
- HOPEFULLY WE ON THIS

3. the floor surface in the basement presents a risk of injury from slips, trips or falls - Floors or surfaces of traffic routes must have no hole or slope or be uneven or slippery so as to expose any person to a risk to his health or safety and they shall have an effective means of drainage where necessary. All floors should be kept free from obstructions and from any article or substance which may cause a person to slip, trip or fall he mentioned this when looking at the floor outside the fridge, he mentioned we should repaint it
- WE WILL PAINT ON MONDAY

4. there does not appear to be a system in place to identify defects in ladders - a system should be implemented to ensure that ladders are regularly checked to identify any defects that may give rise to risk to safety i.e. falls from height well we do have a ladder use policy which he didn't ask to see, but i guess there are several ladders kind of lying around at the moment and maybe it's time to re-inspect them
- WHERE IS THE LADDER PAPERWORK???

5. the storage of materials and redundant or seldom used equipment in the space containing the organ is unacceptable and presents a fire risk - remove the material or ensure that the storage is maintained in a clean and tidy manner which reduces the fire risk
- THIS IS TIDIED - WELL DONE EVS!

BROKEN WINDOWS - FIXED THE MAIN BROKEN ONES
this letter and the inspection notices will be filed in the kitchen area of the filing cabinet for now

scoutt

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:16 pm

the ladder paperwork was in the H&S section of the old filing system
hopefully it's still there, with the emergency fire plan stuff and the tools training certificates

Keni

Post by Keni » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Is the work going ahead tomorrow? If so, when can't I start on my scrubbing action tonight?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:01 pm

you should go ahead and mop the basement corridors keni if you still have the time! I'm not at work, so I'm not sure what's happening tonight

s

Keni

Post by Keni » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Will do ma'am. Spoke to Stephen 5 mins ago & am heading across town shortly with my scrubbing heid on.

simone

Post by simone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:23 pm

i forgot that i am working tomorrow so can't help out, sorry
(Billy Bragg)

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:39 pm

ok today:

floor was painted in basement corridor, Nix & I are gonna have another painting party next week to repaint the floor of the toilets, each room will need a couple of days to dry.

insect death ray was moved

lights fixed in kitchen

forest merch hung in kitchen

fundraising clock hung in cafe

action room cleaned

hall cleaned

regular monday cleaning done

thanks everyone who came & helped, and thanks Keni who cleaned up last night...
x

chris

Post by chris » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:01 am

Yeah!! loads was done. great work everyone :)

dazarooney

Post by dazarooney » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:10 pm

Some good progress is being made then :)