ARGH a jukebox interface appears

iain

ARGH a jukebox interface appears

Post by iain » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:19 pm

What?!

A shiny web interface to make accessing the jukebox nice and easy, available on the box or from the comfort of your own lapbox. Click things on your screen and watch in amazement as they happen on another screen! Shock your neighbours! Horrify your colleagues. Make this face: :shock:

Current plan as it stands is a jquery/ajax frontend (shiny) and php middleware which sends stuff back and forth from itunes via applescript. Stuck with itunes just because it is on there and working at the moment, but the frontend will stick on to anything with a decent interface.

Features so far:
  • play/pause, stop, back/forward
  • mute
  • currently playing track name
  • silky-smooth volume slider
Planned features/ideas:
  • a browser/playlist
  • a function that queues up random tracks if the playlist ends up empty, to prevent music suddenly ending just as you are delivering that extremely offensive risqué punchline causing one (1) tumbleweed to appear
  • if id3 tag info is available we could have album art, maybe a website link so people can learn more about the playing artist
  • interaction w/main site e.g. "Now playing in The Forest" thing
I think this diagram explains it better than anything: http://www.theforest.org.uk/bb/viewtopi ... 840#p41840

fin

neil

Re: ARGH a jukebox interface appears

Post by neil » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:34 am

This be very good! Are you on it? Do you need admin access to the iMac, or do you have that already?

iain

Post by iain » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:53 am

Mike (the instigator!) is doing the dirty work on the Mac side of things and has got it all setup nicely, he is going to setup ftp access so that updating things will be straightforward. I just turn up and complain about my half-baked php not working really.

milk

Post by milk » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:58 pm

wooyay tech is wooyay. awesome and nice one, go mike and iain. now if we could get that shuttle working and under the sound desk, we could have it output something for the projector!
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:32 pm

iTunes has a feature that allows people with iPhones and iPod touches to look at the list of tracks and request songs remotely, if the computer has wifi capabilities. I think this would be a nice feature, but it also has the potential to start fights probably.

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:16 pm

...oops, unless this is what you meant in the first place....?

Might there be a way round the copyright bollocks if there was a feature to wi-fi tracks from your own iPod onto the jukebox and play them?

Probably not, eh... but I think the idea itself has a lot of potential for creating more madness and mayhem.

iain

Post by iain » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:34 am

Well I think the aim is to have this interface available rather than iTunes directly, so that everyone can access it and do some requesting. So basically stealing that idea from the ipods and phones and making it available to all browsers, with a bit more functionality.

Streaming from people's devices would still construe public performance while the cafe was open afaik, so that would probably not be enabled as it would be difficult to enforce the music licensing rules. It would also have the risk of some scallywag queueing up katy perry and causing the painful fiery demise of this whole Earth.

Huw

Post by Huw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:18 pm

There's a shiny system here (http://www.playerpal.com/) for playing itunes songs remotely and this looks like exactly the kind of thing we need. There's a trial version available for free too.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:34 pm

Huw wrote:There's a shiny system here (http://www.playerpal.com/) for playing itunes songs remotely and this looks like exactly the kind of thing we need. There's a trial version available for free too.
It only works on Windows, we use a Mac.

Also:
The trial version is fully functional but it does not display all of your music. The music that is not displayed will appear but the details will display "z Pls Register z". The exact limitation is as follows:

* 50% of albums are displayed as "z Pls Register z"
* 10% of track titles are displayed as "z Pls Register z"
And we don't just want a remote, but a nice system that allows queuing and prevents one person from queuing up hours and hours of music.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:37 pm

Can you get Festival working on the jukebox Mac? Then it could introduce tracks and read out messages. I had that when I ran an Icecast radio server - Radio Sisyphus - where the rock doesn't stop.

iain

Post by iain » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:06 am

Hmm quite possibly, it says it will build on any unix system. A disembodied robotic voice intoning someone's name over and over could be a way of making them happy and motivated.

Also I fear that the rock has indeed stopped now. :cry:

stuart

Post by stuart » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:06 pm

iain wrote:It would also have the risk of some scallywag queueing up katy perry and causing the painful fiery demise of this whole Earth.
...or some drunken arsehole putting on early Madonna songs.

iain

Post by iain » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:12 pm

Sorry for the delay folks, had a few deadlines. Anyway this thing is almost done, I just need to test some applescript and tidy up the dog's breakfast design. Also it now publishes the currently playing track to an xml feed in case that is ever useful.

On a different note has anyone thought about setting up the jukebox with a last.fm account? Keep stats of what the café listens to, add a little extra promotion for the artists played on there. Pointful or pointless.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

milk

Post by milk » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:47 am

damn, passed 31337 plays. and 4 days ago? are there enough files without tags to go that long without a submission?
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:24 am

milk wrote:damn, passed 31337 plays. and 4 days ago? are there enough files without tags to go that long without a submission?
I doubt it. I suspect the network cable has been knocked out, it's very easy to do on that machine.
Mike

iain

Post by iain » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:25 pm

At least it caches the scrobbles. Precious scrobbles.

neil

Post by neil » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:44 pm

After much faffing about, I managed to stick a new plug on the end of that network cable. So the scrobbles should be scrobbled. And the interface should interface. You getting on alright with applescript, Iain?

iain

Post by iain » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:02 pm

Had a minor setback involving itunes not wanting to enqueue a track if you give it the name, but if you give it some weird track identifier it possibly works. Going to test that tomorrow and then hopefully it will be sorted.

iain

Post by iain » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:14 am

Ok this is basically done. Three things though:
  • What's the username on the jukebox? I need to hardcode in the itunes library path because my way of changing this via dialog box doesn't work. :cry:
  • Is PHP 5 installed on the jukebox? If not it isn't a big problem, not too hard to install usually.
  • Are we able to set it up with a static network address so that it can be accessed via http://blahblah/jukebox rather than an IP address?

neil

Post by neil » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:29 am

Hi Iain,

I'll pm the access details you need.

No php installed atm.

I'll pm static address as well.

Cool, nice work!

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:47 am

I thought there was PHP on the jukebox machine.
Mike

neil

Post by neil » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:37 am

Apache comes as standard with OS X, php doesn't. I haven't installed it, so I'm pretty sure it's not there.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:46 am

I think I installed it when I was setting up the jukebox for Iain to use.
Mike

iain

Post by iain » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:59 pm

That's cool, it wasn't that long ago so it'll definitely be a suitable version.