The splash/landing page

milk

The splash/landing page

Post by milk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:16 pm

Lets discuss this!

I've been chatting with Joachim and our thoughts for a compromise solution that includes both static and dynamic content. We're thinking that a mural style layout with large graphical links to the sister sites (the graphics being easily changeable by non-techies), plus a couple of fixed position boxes in a corner or on an edge that would contain dynamic info.

To work out a frame that all parties can work with, we'd like to get input from others so we're all on the same page.

So, proposal;

Static external links to;
* Forest Publications
* Forest Records
* TotalKunst
* Old Hat Books
* Snip and Sip / Massage Corner

Dynamic boxes;
Two or three boxes (how many px wide/high?), containing;
* Forest events for today (+tomorrow?)
* Random Forest photo
* Workshops for the week (and WG meets - said boxes can have tabs to include more info with).

Stevie, Chris and Jane have said this is what they'd be interested in designing for, and Nix has said he'd like to put something together also.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

Martin

Re: The splash/landing page

Post by Martin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:23 pm

I think all the various facets of Forest should be large graphical links on the front page, not just the ones that currently have their own domains. Cafe, hall, cave, darkroom, screen printing, balconies - all should be on there in equal footing.

nix

Post by nix » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:32 pm

Martin wrote:I think all the various facets of Forest should be large graphical links on the front page, not just the ones that currently have their own domains. Cafe, hall, cave, darkroom, screen printing, balconies - all should be on there in equal footing.
Fuck yeah, Martin.

How about a facilities button, linking to pages for: The Cave, Darkroom, Screenprint, The Hall, and Sound Team.

is that possible?.

I will do my 'front page design' and see what yous think.

thanks.
N

milk

Post by milk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:01 pm

both sound good ideas, albeit different - not that that's an issue in itself. different splash themes could have different emphasis on what is linked to, although it would be good to make obvious what groups people can get involved with.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

Martin

Post by Martin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:30 am

nix wrote: How about a facilities button, linking to pages for: The Cave, Darkroom, Screenprint, The Hall, and Sound Team.
I don't think that's as good. The idea really was to have all the things that might grab a first-time visitor's interest on the front page. I think people would be less likely to click on "Facilities" because it sounds vague and boring, and most people probably wouldn't expect us to have these things. A photographer wouldn't click "facilities" because it wouldn't occur to them that a place they've heard of only as a cafe would have a darkroom.

For this same reason, I think we should take care to identify what these projects ARE, on the buttons. There's no point putting up a link just saying THE CAVE. It needs to say "practice room" on there too. Likewise Total Kunst (gallery), Old Hat Books (library), etc.

Of course, the site isn't just for first time visitors, but this sort of layout works just as well to help regulars to get to the right pages quickly.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:42 am

ok i'm sorry to be doing this, but since i'm out of the country i don't risk physical assault. I think the website is still pretty unbeautiful and is still a big reel of information. what happened with all the landing page ideas? Are any of them going to be put into effect?

Worms in a can.

Dan xx
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:38 am

*is saying nothing*
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

milk

Post by milk » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 am

i agree. post-Beltane, and before going on my summer holiday (englandshire then knock'), i asked folk their views so the web team could move forward. no-one has replied yet which has left me rather narked. i'm seriously fed up with people wanting to get involved then changing the goalposts and/or not bothering to follow up. regardless, i still plan to work and get help with the Drupal site to get the basics implemented before switching to it.

Jane

Post by Jane » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:22 pm

I didn't really understand that post and I figured I'd made my points volubly and often enough that I should shut up but here they are again.

Single page of images/brief forest description requiring no scrolling commission by an artist (stevie? mikey?), linking to the various subsections.

i.e.

EVENTS (to the tumblr site)
PUBLISHING (to the publishing site)
RECORDS (to...)
TK (to...)
FRINGE (to...)

...usw
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

dan

Post by dan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:39 am

I really liked Gareths basic layout, but it would be nice if it was hand drawn/ hand made and then functionalised by the webby kings

D xx
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:28 pm

Wot Dan said.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:26 pm

I'm with martin on this one, it would be great if the splash page gave equal emphasis to everything we currently do. I guess the thing is to chose the ones that are most permanent and set,

EVENTS
WORKSHOPS
CAVE (practice room)
SILKSCREEN
DARKROOM
BRISTO HALL
CAFE

TOTAL KUNST (gallery)
OLD HAT BOOKS
FOREST PUBLISHING
FOREST RECORDS
SIP AND SNIP/MASSAGE CORNER

and of course an about tab somwhere,

what a hassle it is to try to arrange this chaos of things, happenings and people into an understandable user interface.

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:59 pm

We have a new EVS volunteer - Noe - who is really into computer graphic design. This is what he wrote about his skills:

- I worked as a designer and layout designer for a newspaper.
- As a teacher of computer graphics in various academies of the subjects of: Edit video, Flash, photo editing, vector design, 3D and motion graphics (after effects)
- As a designer of posters for a macro nightclub.
- As a creative designer for a web development company.
- As a freelance editor for a TV series.
- As a graphic designer and publicist for TV.

Milk, Nix and I are meeting on Friday to write a Project Outline for Noe. (His project doesn't officially begin until 1st July).

It would be really cool if we could get him involved in re-designing the website, yes?

Obviously his designs would have to gain consensus, but maybe we could give it a try...?

dan

Post by dan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Hey!!

ok im out of the country again so free to say what i like. so the ash has settled from august, much like across the icelandic/nordic region. and yet we still have a website is unbeautiful and not very accessible and with a funny address.

Hmm. I offer no solutions, i know.

D x

chris

Post by chris » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:52 am

totally disagree
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

dan

Post by dan » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:17 am

Well I suppose I was just fantasising about splashy dreams, but think on reflection that this can be postponed until we've sorted out more fundamental workings. D x