The Bike Cafe - proposal

scoutwinter

The Bike Cafe - proposal

Post by scoutwinter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:22 pm

heya
Huw and I have been chatting about bicycles. We'd like to run some kind of workshop involving teaching people about how their bikes work (as in the parts) so that people can understand and fix them easily. We have 2 qualified mechanics who are up for helping, and proposed date for the first workshop is sunday 18th april. we'd like to use the Hall if possible.

Will's proposal was for a "bike cafe" set-up: we have several stations, with a "expert" at each one to talk about their favourite thing, eg. punctures, gears, brakes, bottom brackets, bike geometry (fit)... people can choose which thing they'd like to talk about, we can demonstrate on their bikes how to set it up. 2 trained mechanics should be OK for insurance purposes?

Will also said he should be able to set up a trade account if we want one, so we can source important-to-replace-with-new things like gear/brake cables. most other things can be recycled.

I think with the kind of stuff we're looking at we won't need a super-extensive tool kit.

thoughts?

scoutt

chris

Re: The Bike Cafe - proposal

Post by chris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:28 pm

sounds great.
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:33 pm

nice

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Nice. Check with Graeme and Nix to see what kit we already have? There has been some bike fixy-fix happening quite a bit over the last few years.

nix

Post by nix » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:04 am

This is so cool and has needed to happen for a while! Thanks for doing it!

I am on it with the tools. I will have them counted, boxed and ready by friday.