Building day 22/11/9 progress

swithun

Building day 22/11/9 progress

Post by swithun » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:06 pm

I didn't get a great deal done, but I've figured out a few things:

2 boxes work OK - baoboa and redwood

redwood's disk is almost full (97%). There is a 35gig folder on the desktop called 'forest films 2', and a Mac OSX image.

oak thinks it is called willow and has a lot of disk errors

willow has no disk

The Shuttle now has a working network card (taken from black Dell box - couldn't find Graeme's one), but I couldn't copy over the data from the old admin box - the disks didn't show up when I attached them to my external disk to USB thingy. Copying could be done over a network, I've just thought.

Scanning works to baoboa. You need to enter the details manually. Someone who knows the printer password could modify the old 'oak' scan settings to send to baoboa instead. The share is set up, called 'scan' or 'scans'. This works. Is there a reason to restrict public scanning to B/W?

If anyone wants to do some more, you'll need some install CDs, a spare hard disk, a key to unlock the box locks, and another power strip and the printer password/s.

nix

Re: Building day 22/11/9 progress

Post by nix » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:06 pm

Scanning works to baoboa. You need to enter the details manually. Someone who knows the printer password could modify the old 'oak' scan settings to send to baoboa instead. The share is set up, called 'scan' or 'scans'. This works. Is there a reason to restrict public scanning to B/W?
no it don't.

the only Linux machine in the Action Room at the moment is Redwood.

can someone set up the printer to scan to this now. please.

please.

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Do the Action Room computers get a new IP address each time they boot up? It needs to be fixed for the scanner to scan to an IP address.

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:29 am

I'm not sure how DHCP is set up at the Forest. Do the Action Room boxes already get fixed IP addresses? If not, can one log into the device that runs the DHCP server and assign IP addresses to MAC addresses? I had imagined that one could get the individual computer to ask for the same IP address every time, but looking yesterday, I couldn't find an example of the conf file for that.

Martin and I want to spank this monkey and put it to be tonight, so if anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful.

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:14 am

They might already have static IPs, they did at one point.

If not then log in to the WRT54GL and assign static IPs for their MAC addresses.

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:18 am

Coolio. For once it might all go according to plan.

Thanks.

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:21 am

I didn't see Martin last night, so there wan't much progress on the printer front. But I did manage to get redwood (the one working Linux box) to be the recipent of scans from the printer. I got the router to assign a fixed IP address to redwood - the same IP address as the printer tries to send scans to. Cunning. The folder is called 'scan'.

Nix, you should be able to scan to redwood now, at least B/W scans.

Whats the steez with only being able to scan in B/W? Is it tied to printing in colour vs. B/W?