Back to Forest

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Magda
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Back to Forest

Postby Magda » Wed May 03, 2006 11:41 am

Ok,

so here's something I've been wanting to bring up about the gallery:

I think we should change the name. We want to promote the Forest, the gallery is an important part of it, so it seems logical to me that it should have a name that includes the word Forest, like The Forest Gallery (just an example, but maybe not so bad).

Obviously, as Jo has pointed out, Totalkunst carries some weight in the local arts scene, and should continue to be used in some capacity. It's worth discussing. Jo, any comments?

I would also like to see a discussion about how we can integrate the gallery better with the rest of Forest and avoid the communication problems we've had in the past. For example:

In the future the committee should be involved in picking the people who run it. We interview people for the posts that involve a lot of responsibility, why not this one?

The gallery should report what it's doing at every committee meeting to ensure better coordination of events.

The committee should have more insight into how the gallery budget is spent.

What do people think?

Magda

beev

Postby beev » Wed May 03, 2006 12:28 pm

You're right, and happily this seems to be the direction we are moving in. I don't see the need for a separate name for the gallery. But what would TK be? Would it still exist? Perhaps it should continue as an arts collective that is separate from the forest. This could be cool. The forest could run the gallery and TK could do more crazy renegade guerilla art stuff around the city. In that case, I would suggest TK and the forest become completely separate from each other from the point of view of anyone looking from the outside.

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Wed May 03, 2006 12:40 pm

I've no idea how Total Kunst interacts with the Forest.
Always thought it was one and the same.
Although I never gave it much thought.
I'm sure there are issues that need to be worked there.
But with said ignorance I still kinda find the gallery being called The Forest Gallery a bit dreary.
Whereas Total Kunst is an ace name.
Pep Up The Turmoil

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Wed May 03, 2006 7:09 pm

I agree things could be better run.

The fact that the website http://www.totalkunst.com/ has been down for ages and no-one seems to be in charge of this is one example.

Also the funding for the gallery rent, materials, promo etc. all comes from the central funds as far as I know....raised entirely by the kitchen and volunteers, so there should be more working together for sure.

I think back in the day TK was set up by a group of active people to give them more autonomy to do as they wished. All very noble and good. But I wonder if TK actually exists anymore? Is it just a name or is there more to it than that? Who exactly is active in TK at the moment? Is there a sub-committee? Do you have meetings? Should we try and get more people involved?

Jane

Re: Back to Forest

Postby Jane » Wed May 03, 2006 7:56 pm

beev

Postby beev » Wed May 03, 2006 9:01 pm

Magda

Postby Magda » Thu May 04, 2006 10:53 am

Magda

Postby Magda » Thu May 04, 2006 11:00 am

ravanwin

Postby ravanwin » Thu May 04, 2006 7:01 pm

Dandolo

Postby Dandolo » Thu May 04, 2006 9:34 pm

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Tue May 09, 2006 5:52 pm

Pep Up The Turmoil

ravanwin

Postby ravanwin » Tue May 09, 2006 9:52 pm

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Tue May 09, 2006 10:45 pm

beev

Postby beev » Wed May 10, 2006 12:36 am

chris

Postby chris » Wed May 10, 2006 12:00 pm

JoJo

TK

Postby JoJo » Wed May 10, 2006 11:13 pm

Magda

Postby Magda » Sat May 13, 2006 3:03 pm

beev

Postby beev » Sat May 13, 2006 4:44 pm

pogo

Re: TK

Postby pogo » Sun May 14, 2006 10:44 am

ravanwin

Postby ravanwin » Mon May 15, 2006 5:39 pm

Dandolo

Postby Dandolo » Tue May 16, 2006 11:21 am

dan

Postby dan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Well this was a nice thread to rediscover. While I think TotalKunst = great name, there were some other good ones in here which maybe we could use in Forest X related things? Lorna Smith? FAG? Rantypants?

D x

stephengoodall

Postby stephengoodall » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:08 pm

First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

neil

Postby neil » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:22 pm

I'm very much in favour of the doing more with less policy. It's at the heart of forest ethos. And at the moment we need to save money any way we can.

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:24 am

FAG = great, would be nice to see this in bold letters on the windows.
i think it is good for the gallery collective to remain autonomous but it is also essential that people involved also are involved and communicate with the working group etc, this does not seem to have been an issue for a while as Simone and Martin helped with this. Also by the nature of having to be in the space Mirja, Stephen and Michael have not exactly been strangers.
I think this again highlights the need to have some sort of quarterly meeting where everyone gets together to eat cake etc for an afternoon, not a meeting as such but something else.
sorry this is such a dry postl but i am a little drunk

dan

Postby dan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:22 am

yeah i totally agree, i think (at least from my Damascene veiwpoint) that the gallery is doing really well, and loads of the issues brought up here resolved themselves independently. I just wanted to highlight the names...

D x

martinmckenna

Postby martinmckenna » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:08 pm

on a historical note the old tk yahoo group makes for interesting reading http://groups.yahoo.com/group/totalkunst/ . A nice representation of what was happening between 2003-2006 . not only of tk's history but of surrounding culture that interacted with the group . the posts of richard whiston and sally felt are of particular interest as is the discusstion about the name totalkunst .

Its a shame that most of the attachments have been culled , a number of the minutes from meeting are lost and flyers for shows . I suspect our bb does the same with attachments as recently i was looking for an attachment in pm and its was gone ! , forums and mail groups inherently become potentially valuable documents as are the past web sites .

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

Return to “Front of House/Gallery”