chairs

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Ida

chairs

Post by Ida » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:18 pm

so I found an advert on gumtree for around 40 chairs. I answered and we can have them. They have golden frames and green velvety cushions...sounds awesome right?
They are in the village hall of West Calder (or something like that, 10 miles away), they are used (maybe I am gonna get a photo of them tomorrow). All we need is a van and 2 people, unfortunately I m not free in the next days. Please let me know if you can go and get them and I give you the contacts of the woman who is in charge... I think we need them, what about you?

ravanwin

Re: chairs

Post by ravanwin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:49 am

could be good. check them out first?

Susana

Post by Susana » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:10 am

I am free to do that if you want. Ida, you must give me details on how to get there and I go to take a picture. Then if we think they are ok I'll also be free to go and fetch them (with the help of a van, of course) 8)

I was actually thinking recently that someone could have the 'official task' of checking daily the freebies of Gumtree... and that one could be me. That is something I feel quite confident I could do.
:P :P
Susanita, la amiga tonta de Mafalda

nix

Post by nix » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:24 pm

Ken has agreed to use his van to collect them.

please let us get them if they are good. Not to heavy, stackable.. an improvement .. nice chairs would be nice.

thanks.

graeme

Post by graeme » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:01 pm

They sound like the kind of chairs that are used in function suites.
We will have to have speeches and toasts when we get them.

Ida

Post by Ida » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:42 pm

here you go...im a bit disappointed, thought they would be more fancy, but tove and me thought they were still nice and better than the old ones...tove can go there with ken on the weekend unless someone disagrees...anyone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:07 pm

hmmmm - a bit community-hall, cheap council function looking? I'm not sure it is worth the effort but - what do i know about furniture. maybe they will look good spray painted?
r

Jane

Post by Jane » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:22 pm

hmnn.... they're a bit gross. I think there's something more charming about the hotch-potch of old furniture that doesn't match. it's up to you though, maybe they'd be handy for the hall too?
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

kyewtee

Post by kyewtee » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:58 am

hmmmm, new chairs would be nice but~ can we afford them? for the most part I think the chairs we have aren't bad, so maybe we should like, spend the money on cakes and vegitables instead D= I dunno~
Bridget
Self Proclaimed Genius~

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:28 am

They're free.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

Susana

Post by Susana » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:50 am

Half of the chairs in the cafe are dead dirty and worn out. Maybe we could replace only those ones and leave the others so that it is not such homogeneous/churchy-like. The remaining new chairs could go into the hall...

Also the new chairs can be painted. :shock:
Susanita, la amiga tonta de Mafalda

amelia

Post by amelia » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:43 am

One of the first things I loved about the Forest was that the chairs and tables were all different. Understandable to replace the ones that are a danger to sit on but a shame to lose the arty appeal for a school function look. If they are free would they be good to get anyway? But if they do not fold flat they may get in the way.

Sitting is not actually something that is a natural or healthy position for us anyway - the chair was a sculpture first, that was able to support us, then people kind of got carried away with them and the whole difference between the haves and havenots scenario. To get us up off the floor so we did not look like a 'savage' an all that 'Healthy' human 'chairs' have us in an elevated kneeling position of kinds.

So, they gotta at least look good - in my opinion :!: I would like an area that is just for sitting on the floor, perhaps a corner, with cushions conducive to sitting crosslegged... :?: