the shop- new season

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Ida

the shop- new season

Post by Ida » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:50 pm

HEEEEEY!
The shop is restarting. we need all your ideas and actions.
tomorrow we have a meeting 3.30 in the SHOP, if you can't make it write your ideas down HERE.
Somethings are going to change in the shop, basically we are gonna return somethings that really dont sell, try to get cooler things,
make more promotion, make little shop business cards, a new sign outside, and and and...Please come and talk,
xxx ida

thehemulen

Re: the shop- new season

Post by thehemulen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:17 pm

my suggestion: forest should have a good functional online shop. last time i tested http://www.theforest.org.uk/virtuemart/ doesnt work at all. hope the web wg will be represented at the shop meeting? this is the future after all, people should have the option to, when they get home, think - hey, that _____ i saw in the forest shop looked cool - and buy it via the web. could be a much needed source of revenue for the the forest?
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

Ida

Post by Ida » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:35 pm

Shop Meeting Minutes

Present – Ida, Tove, Ilaria, Taskin, Nix, Emma, Magda, Suzanna and Mik

1.Display and Stock

We discussed the current stock – what is selling, what's not and sourcing new products and the need to change our stock to have items that sell well.

We discussed different uses of the shop including services such as massage, tarot reading and food co-operatives. Agreed not to take forward food ideas however will look into the massage possibilities.

Magda raised importance of people working in the shop talking with customers and actively selling. All shop volunteers should be trained to do this.

It was discussed having a to do list of tasks that volunteers can action during their shifts. All agreed this would be a good idea.

Nix brought up labelling and stressed that zines, books and records should not be labelled. Use the soft pencil for books!

Actions:

Ida will go through all stock lists for last 3 months and analyse what is selling well and what's not.
Ida will source new artists
Ida will visit other shops to research ideas for layout
Tove will help with layout
Ida will contact Zaptista for more food & coffee options
Ida/Emma to look into massage options. Magda has people that may be interested (Alex) and we can look at running a trial with him. (Post meeting – Alex confirmed would be interested)
Emma to look into VAT with Sandy the accountant
New profit share with artists will be 30%/70% - Ida to do new contracts for artists
Ida to speak to Magda about sales training and dealing with customers
Ida to make a “to do” list with Magda of things needing done in shop (regular activities for volunteers to do on certain days)
Music – Nix to set up a speaker in the hallway with panel saying what music is playing.
Listening post – Ida to make long term to do list and get extra volunteers if needed.
Displays – Tove will design new displays for zines and music. Nix will build.
Lights – Suzanna to source a new lightshade. Nix to remove old spotlights
Window – Nix to replace frosted glass. Ida cleaning and remove old display.
Cabinet – Tove to fix shelves and fairy lights.
Labelling – Ida to add to do list to try to remove labelling from zines etc.
New desk – Nix to source
Door mat – Ida to source

2.Promotions

We discussed the fact that the shop was not that visible or known about and ways to promote. We agreed the main areas were; to make the entrance more obvious and inviting as well as find new ways to promote using the web and cafe space. (see above for specific building points e.g. window)

Actions:

Promoting new stock – Marking new arrivals and making more them more of a feature.
Biz cards – We will make these from recycled card and paper using a bespoke rubber stamp once we have a budget to do this. In the meantime Ida to print more of the existing fliers.
Website – Ida to work with Ilaria and Milk on this. This should also include creating links to other sites/artists etc.
BB – Ida to continue updates on shop to keep awareness up and ask for volunteers to help
Cafe – Tove to create new signs for the Shop in the Cafe
Blackboard – Taskin to search for the other side of the blackboard and if cannot find then arrange to make a new one.
Door – Ida to speak to Marmot about re-doing the door.
New artists – Ida to arrange new promotions for artists with Ilaria. (e.g. Searching for new musicians, artists etc through local websites as well as promoting the possibilities on own website, inside shop and cafe)
Relaunch – have a big relaunch event/day. Ida to add to plan.
Post meeting action – Ida to attend Forest fundraiser meeting to include shop in plans for this day.

3.Volunteers

We would like to have more non EVS volunteers working in the shop. Especially people with retail experience that can help with ideas and have energy to be there.

All new volunteers to be vetted in the same way as cafe volunteers – check references, have an interview/chat etc.

We have our first volunteers in the shop - Suzanna and Mike!

Actions:
Suzanna and Mike to be trained on Sunday.
Taskin to create shop volunteer application form and to check new volunteers.
Promoting on BB – Ida to advertise for new volunteers
Vouchers for food – Emma to create along with other vouchers.
Volunteer website – Ida to advertise with other volunteer websites.
Existing volunteers – Taskin to contact existing volunteers asking if they would like to get involved in the shop.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:41 am

i think the shop should be promoted online and in the cafe area better.
It's like God's vagina!

neil

Post by neil » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:36 am

Nooooo! Multiple posting = bad!! One bb post is enough for any subject.

amelia

Post by amelia » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:50 am

An arty bright painted sandwich board advertising the shop with the direction etc, to go on the other street that has the post office and lots of folk passing.

Praps another one along the road a little closer to the museum too. Putting them out each morning and collecting them end of day.

People like sandwich boards...they have a friendliness about them. A bit heavy perhaps but a shame to miss out on that busy section of street.

milk

Post by milk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:22 pm

yes, please stick with just one post in the future, otherwise things get lost :)

also, could ida and tove (and anyone else who might want to add info or events) register for the new website @ http://www.theforest.org.uk/drupal-6.9/user/register so we can start to get shop content up. once you're on there i'll give you permissions to be able to do this, thanks!
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:25 pm

hey the web site looks good ! can i have account for total kunst and start playing and maybe a admin account for me

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

Ida

Post by Ida » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:19 pm

sorry for the multiple post. I cant delete the minutes here...well, next time I know.
how can i register on this website?
the sandwichboards sound like a good idea...does anyone want to make them? Repainting the outside door leading to the shop with the shop logo would also be great.
llots of things to do, so please tell me what you are up to!
cheers, ida

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:25 am

I'm happy to do some painting but someone else should probably do an outline, since my design skills are crap.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:20 am

i would personally say no to the outside door bring painted with a logo .

martin
Heaven is a disaster

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:02 am

if you mean the door leading from the street

martin
Heaven is a disaster

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:41 pm

No, the shop door, as at the minute it's not really that obvious that it's actually a shop!
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

milk

Post by milk » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Ida wrote:how can i register on this website?
you can do that on http://www.theforest.org.uk/drupal-6.9/user/register :)
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku