First Aid Kit

ChaoticReality

First Aid Kit

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:28 am

Tonight, Ida cut her knuckle open quite badly when a glass she was washing (I believe), broke and sliced her hand open.

It looked like it might need a stitch, but she didn't want to go to A&E so we agreed to plaster/bandage it up and she would go to the doctor when she got up.

It was then I happened across a problem: We don't have a first aid kit. We have 3 pretty-dead first aid kits that have tiny plasters and not much else, but nothing proper. I had to hack up an ambulance bandage to make it small enough to use.

Can we fix this?

As a small aside: Are we legally required to carry a first aid kit? I was told a week or two ago, when helping a girl who had cut her finger open (that James later had to give bus money to go to the hospital to) by a KM that I should give the plaster to the customer, but not help them with their injuries, as they could sue us. What would we do if something more serious happened? Is it worth having anyone around with a valid first aid certificate?

Best,
M
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

Lynne

Re: First Aid Kit

Post by Lynne » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:27 am

Yeh Mike, we probably should have at least one or two qualified First Aiders on site.....

Ideally the KM's and a couple of NM's should know what to do...

Having said that, if there's a 'real' emergency, the 999 people are really good at talking you through what needs to be done.....

I will put this issue on my loooooong list of things to put in place!

These kind of things, i.e., Ida cutting herself should really be written in an 'accident' book (yawn!) I reackon?

If anyone would like to help me with things like starting up a health & safety section section in the volunteer handbook (and maybe a separate one for KM's/NM's with tips on things like emergencies and how to deal with WF's?), please let me know!!!

Cheers. :)

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:28 am

Oh, and I will have a look at First Aid kits in Boots today. I will try and pick one up over the next couple of days.

Thanks for pointing this out Mike :)

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:32 am

No worries. My first aid cert lapsed last year, but I don't mind redoing it if people think it would be a good idea.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:45 pm

Don't forget to write it up in the accident book.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Whilst in the Crafty Room yesterday, I noticed/found a first aid kit plus a decent amount of related medical stuff (dressings/plasters) etc.

It's in the cupboard/toilet room at the back, near the sink.

Can we use this?

Cheers,
M
Mike

milk

Post by milk » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:01 am

i'd assume so. imo, centralising out first aid stuffs would be a good idea (so peeps know where the heck it is). drawer under the till?
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

graeme

Post by graeme » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:00 pm

Check the expiry dates, anything in date will be ok. The out of date stuff can go in the free shop.

lucky

Post by lucky » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:58 pm

This is the basic list of stuff you should have in a First Aid Kit, but more may be needed depending on the working environment:

- 20 individually wrapped sterile adhesive dressings (assorted sizes);
- two sterile eye pads;
- four individually wrapped triangular bandages (preferably sterile);
- six safety pins;
- six medium-sized (approximately 12 cm x 12 cm) individually wrapped sterile
- unmedicated wound dressings;
- two large (approximately 18 cm x 18 cm) sterile individually wrapped
- unmedicated wound dressings;
- one pair of disposable gloves.

Off the top of my head, for the kitchen we should also have:

- Eyewash
- WAY more than 20 plasters. Must be blue waterproof
- Lavender essential oil (we already got that - so useful! If you don't think so, search online and you'll find a hoard of info)
- A gun
- antiseptic wipes/cream
- scissors

Any medications should never be stored in First Aid Kits

I'm really posting this for my own info. Lynne, don't worry about it, I'm APing myself to do this, and a H&S checklist for the box so we can keep an eye on it's contents.

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks Alex!

:)