Buy Nothing Day

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
natt

Buy Nothing Day

Post by natt » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:37 pm

Thought it was time for a new thread for new headspace and move away from my lameo first entry.

So..Welcome to all those interested in planning for a spectacularly FREE Buy Nothing Day!!!Come ne, come all, bring your firends, leave your cash.

I have the energy for it, want to get lots of different things up and running like last year. Music!

There's a host of scrap in my room for constructing rocket stoves-me alice and paulo are working on it, any further volunteers?

esmi

Re: Buy Nothing Day

Post by esmi » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:58 am

Assuming that I haven't forgotten something major i'm meant to be doing at 6 that morning, I will cook! and maybe try to find out how sued we could get (for the amusement value, since we'll do it anyway, right?) :p
can we ask the forest for the kitchen again?

Is Monday at 9 in Teviot OK for everyone? it's perfect for me and I could get a P&P crowd along after the Monday meeting (they were pretty keen last year and may be up for more recycled craft-y things)

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:20 pm

i'm in

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm skint so I'm in by default...does that count?
It's like God's vagina!

natt

Post by natt » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:32 pm

Esmeeee,
can you put another super cool rota up like you did last time pleeease?
Thanks!
Nataliex

esmi

Post by esmi » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:38 pm

http://www.doodle.com/participation.htm ... 3ry9kduphe

added a few new bits and bobs for the great BND. If it wants changed let me know and I'll find out if I can actually change it ;)

esmi

Post by esmi » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:39 pm

PS.. is it OK to tell people monday 9pm at teviot for the meeting? or is that not OK with everyone? would be good to get things moving! xx

butjac

Post by butjac » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:03 pm

Amazing Esme. Cheers. I think monday at nine is good for a starter. I'll post it on our old list just in case people STILL havn't found this thread yet. I'll try and think of a few things we need to sort out at the meeting... X

Joey Pesticide

Post by Joey Pesticide » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:28 pm

I don't think I'll be able to make the meeting but I'll be in for FNB and any other fun things anyway. Wunderbar! x

A GATHERING AND SYMPOSIUM CELEBRATING RADICAL DIY CULTURE & CREATIVE LIVING!
EDINBURGH-WIDE, FEBRUARY 5-8th 2009! DIYEDINBURGH@RISEUP.NET
WOULD YOU LIKE TO ORGANISE AN EVENT?

Rebel clowns

Post by Rebel clowns » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:03 pm

Count the clowns in! :lol:

If there is anything specific you would like to see from us, feel free to throw ideas our way!! We might throw them back, it depends what they smell like!

If any of you are interested in doing a spot of clowning for Buy Nothing Day, and are familiar with clown philosophy (see, http://www.clownarmy.org/about/about.html) then come along to the University Chaplaincy (Bristo square, next to Potterow) Wednesday 5 - 7pm.

It will be a pleasure buying nothing with you!

Love, Warrant Officer Waffle xxx

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:53 pm

will FNB be anywhere near the antimilitarist gathering?

esmi

Post by esmi » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:36 pm

Hey
here's the minutes from our chat tonight

Buy Nothing Day Minutes – Monday 17th Novembet

The Facts:
BND is on: 29th November
Time: 11-3
Place: Princess’ St/ Frederick St OR where the tram construction is. We could decorate chain link fences.
– Nat: to Check out possible places and report back this week

Things to Do:
Beforehand
- Ask the Forest if we can cook there and get the key: Daniel M
- Food Collection: Jake and Nat. More People Needed
- Collecting stuff from Warrander park 5: Tarps and Street Chalk and banners cooking pots: Nat
- Collecting Stuff: creative things, scissors, glue: People and Planet Pens etc (esmi). Throw away cutlery etc: Devin. Call out for creative things: Jake. Everyone bring things for creative/recycled arts
- Banner – Jake will look at his. General callout for banners OR make new ones
- Media: Nat to email Student and other papers
- Transport Coordination: Jake
- Other publicity: Nat will send emails to societies. Joey to email Create Soc? Devin to ask Knit Soc?
- Tarps: Andy has a Tarp.
- Posters: Daniel M has last year’s poster. Will copy and leave some in the forest So everyone can collect them and put them out. People can sign up on the poll for flyering and postering
- Flyers: Jake to copy flyers.

On The Day
Free Shop: (Esmi ask Katie) Otherwise everyone bring stuff
Food Not Bombs: Esmi, Devin will cook. Jake & Nat will ask for food & skip. Need more people to sign up
Music: Dan and Esmi Co-ordinate Music: send out mass email and have practice the Thursday before. Potentially at Sephi’s for Thanksgiving. Everyone bring instruments
Games (twister, skipping rope) Jake will ask people about these. Anyone can bring their own.
Speakers’ Corner: Nat will speak to Alice? Everyone bring things to read or say. Callout for Megaphone
Clowns: Esmi stay in touch with them
Juggling: Jake will ask Will. Andy will ask Beltaine list for hippy skills
Christmas Present / card / wrapping paper making: Sarah W and Karen
Street Theatre: Jake will ask Bedlam. Dan A will ask Paradok Nat ask Te pooka
Taking Photos: James from the Forest? Everyone ask friends.
Face Painting: Karen
Sofas & furnature – everyone keep eyes open for them.
Clean Up: Nat, Jake More people needed
Tables: FNB tables and P&P table

Maybe we can leave stuff at ACE?

Nat’s at 7pm thursday for rocket stove making!

SO here’s a clearer list of things EVERYONE can do:
• Collect Free Food from Skips/shops that are throwing it away
• Put up posters (when they are ready – watch this space)
• Bring and practice instruments
• Collect things you don’t want any more for the Free Shop
• Collect creative things for Christmas present and card making
• Bring games to be played
• Bring things to say at speakers’ corner
• Ask people who want to take photos or take them yourself
• Collect furniture

This is all a bit of a mess so do ask if something isn’t clear! Though to be honest I don’t have any better notes than you do now!

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:31 pm

posters are in the 'darkroom' folder in the 'dan' pigeon-hole in the forest, ready for distro! The master-copy is in there as well for making extras on the upstairs ozone-engine. who knows about making fliering paste out of flour? we could papier mache things on the day also

peas and lovage
d

James

Post by James » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:12 pm

esmi wrote:Taking Photos: James from the Forest? Everyone ask friends.
I'm up for that, or I will be involved in some other way. I will let you know!

natt

Post by natt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:51 pm

Hey hey just a couple of things. We need WATER CONTAINERS fpr washing up water, just a few liters should do and we can just go and fill up at Macdonalds (ha!). Also how is transport coming along? The bus stop outside forest seems temporarily out of order but theres one just down the road. Are the cooking crew still planning on bus travel?
I've emailed round relevant looking uni societies and it seems tarps and the big bowl are at warrender so we're good on that score. I worry about the washing up...as usual. Its the bane of my FnB life.
Posters are ace Dan-its all looking goodxx

butjac

Post by butjac » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:36 pm

Hi guys. All is hotting up in buy nothing world. I've spoken to friends of the earth who are having a 'stuff swap' stall at the east end of princes street on the day and they might come across to say hi which is exciting. I found two BND banners so we will be visually represented. Create soc are coming to do creative things, there is someone coming along to do games in the street and hopefully some folk doing street theatre. I think i've just got hold of some carpet and Esmi has spotted a sofa which i'll go look at later. Everything is hotting up! Yeeee ha.
Has anyone found the big chalks yet? xxx

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:53 pm

would a 20L camping shower take care of your washing up woes?

Joey Pesticide

Post by Joey Pesticide » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:39 pm

Bring the shower, I reckon, it seems a good idea. Matt has lent us his trolley to use if we need. It's good for heavy things but would take a while to get to Princes Street.

There's also the Eeel house bike trailer in my basement...if someone wants to fix the wheel bearings this week...

Do we know where we are going to be on Saturday?

That's about if from me for now. xxx

esmi

Post by esmi » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:08 pm

I was going to ask where we'll be,
and do we have any food yet? I'm not 100% keen to get up at 6 on saturday if there's no cooking to be done!
Is there food chopping at Joey's friday night? Chopping can be done at ours too I think.. if there's any to be chopped!
Daniel, do you know if we're OK for the Forest that morning? can we get a key?
I'm thinking I might need to bow out of food distribution again.. studying is shutting off every angle of my life at the moment - sorry I can't be more help!
looking forward to another early morning cooking sesh though!
es x

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:55 am

i'm getting the key, and as far as i know we're going to the same spot as last year. who's up for putting up posters tonight?

butjac

Post by butjac » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:15 pm

OK. We've got the forest kitchen and Dan will get the keys so thats cool

Celia went to have a look down at princes street and thought that the bottom of Federick street would be best, so i say lets go with that. It's already on the poster.

Will and i went skipping last night and picked up loads of bagels, bread and potatos, so it's a start. I'll go round shops later to ask about getting some food off them on friday.

Esmi, if your cooking on saturday morning, perhaps chopping would be best round at yours. Then it can all be take from there to the forest (not as far as Joey's either).

Joey, i can try and fix the bearings. I'll pop round later to have a look at the trailer. Plus we have will's bike trailer and hopefully the one we're making at my house (it's near to completion).

Think that's it for now. The main message is that we're on track for a great BND. Hurray.

Much love. Jake xx

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:42 pm

It's like God's vagina!

Joey Pesticide

Post by Joey Pesticide » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Alright then, we can prep at Esmi's. What time? And shall we deposit food there during the week or bring it all on Friday? I probably won't be in today, Jake, but the trailer is in the room in the basement.

I'm going skipping tonight and on Thursday. There should be enough food if some people go skipping every day. Try all skips every night because some have been really good of late. x

natt

Post by natt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:20 pm

I'll come collecting with you Jake, plus skipping on thursday night (tbc). Also we have two ace rocket stoves! going to make more at mine thursday. contact me for more info. nice work team

esmi

Post by esmi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:11 am

Righto - my flat for prep on friday night! my flatmates are all away to Balkanarama.. so depending on who's chopping we can do it earlier or later. Maybe from 7? if not maybe email me and we can work out a time.
who's chopping?? tea can be supplied at least!

Food can be left throughout the week if needed. THere's a white box in our front garden for depositing things in if there's no one in but put a note through the door or text me if you do that :)

yay! sounding good.. wish I wasn't so busy... xxx

Joey Pesticide

Post by Joey Pesticide » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:25 pm

I think if the prep could include a potential skip run on Friday, then it should. Otherwise, any stuff gained on Friday after the prep could be sorted out in the morning. Skipping hauls don't sound too hot this week and so one more evening would be beneficial. But an earlier prep would be good for me so I can go to a show after. And Jake, too.

He says 6:00pm? He's sitting next to me.

butjac

Post by butjac » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:28 pm

Okey dokey. I've just gone round shops in Bruntsfield/marchmont to ask for food and they all say YES. Fanbloodytastic. Nat, if you would care to join me, i will be making the rounds on friday afternoon to collect said food. Probably about 5.30 post-lectures. The big fruit and veg shop (can't remember the name of the shop but its the biggets one next to new leaf) on argyle street asked if we could collect on friday morning. I don't think i can make it. Can anyone else?

Perhaps we could start food prep straight away after food collection. Perhaps about 6. Is that good for you esmi/others?

I found some cushions and jumble this morning in the skip to bulk out both the chill out area and free shop. Hurrah!

Have we worked out a way to keep soup/slush/vegan mess warm? I'm inclined not to use the flasks. Maybe we can look out for stuff to insulate the pots.

Over and out. j xx (hi joey sittign next to me)

amy

Post by amy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:59 pm

hey,

got lots of rhubard, tatties and tomatos last night and will take to esmi's in a couple of hours.. happy to do another straiton-park run and its usually pretty good.. am also an eager chopper friday early eve if needed (from six sounds good)

love amy xx

esmi

Post by esmi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:17 pm

wonderful! I can collect friday morning at 9 if needed but need to be in for FTC at 10 so help would be really appreciated.

6 is fine on friday too - I can help collect food if ESSENTIAL but I need to work and it looks like I may be in for 48 hours of solid food retrieval and preperation if I'm not careful (not that that's a bad thing!)

so in conclusion: help on friday at 9am would be great but if not I can collect (Do I just say it's for FNB?) and chopping at mine on friday at 6pm.

and come to Fair trade cafe in the chaplaincy the middle for a consumerist preview of Saturday ;)

esmi

Post by esmi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:18 pm

PS did you find the bike trailer Jake?

butjac

Post by butjac » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:47 pm

No sign of the bike trailer. Hummmm.

The guy said that 10.30 would be the best time for collection. If no one else can do it i guess 9 would be good. Yeah, just explain that you're from FnB and they shoud give you mountains of food. Maybe...

Much love. xx

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:50 pm

Thanks for the links, garden andy. I'll cover m-side food libereclamation tonight then.

esmi

Post by esmi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:52 pm

Well.. can someone else do the pickup at 10.30am instead? I can't do it then as I have to be somewhere.. and I'd rather not go at 9 if that's not when they want us (I'm usually there around 9 on a friday and they're always busy so wouldn't like to disturb)
will do it if no one else can at all though.. let me know if you can :)

Joey Pesticide

Post by Joey Pesticide » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:02 pm

I can't go in the morning but I can help with Jake and Nat in the afternoon. Where shall we meet?

Amy - any help gathering food is saluted and so come and bring and help chop! I'll bring chopping music.

Depending on how much stuff we have, we may have to go skipping on Friday too but we'll wait and see...

Bad news boys and grrrls...the bad news bears seem to have come to my building and emptied the basement without any kind of notice. The bike trailer is gone, as is our new compost bin and the mouldy books that I so loved to glance over in such a quiet "all of these books are terrible but look at them rot, never again to be thumbed by the loving hands of drivel loving bookworms..." kind of way.

I'll do the rounds of the flats in the stairwell to actually find out what the bloody hell was done with the stuff (not so much the books). I'm pretty angry as I offered to "look after" the trailer. If I can find the people I will ask them to replace the trailer and if not I guess I will have to try...

I'm sorry everyone. Damn those bad news bears. x

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:30 pm

Fairly unrelated, but if you are after mouldy books, there is a box of them sitting just inside the front door of my building (5 Buccleuch Terrace). I don't know where they came from, but if they are left in a public place, then they are fair game.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:35 am

i left then there as a present for you Swith!!
It's like God's vagina!

natt

Post by natt » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:05 pm

Hey i got the stuff at 10.30 and some from the skips last night, its at Esme's. You still up for doing the rounds at 4.30 today Joey?

bryony

Post by bryony » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:18 pm

Hey guys,

totally forgot to check this thread sooner. I'm really up for helping tomorrow and already have keys to forest. What time are people starting in the morning?

Bx

Joey Pesticide

Post by Joey Pesticide » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:35 pm

Sorry that no-one saw your message to reply Bryony, but we'd love help with the next one! xxx

natt

Post by natt » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:18 pm

Ah that went sooo well, cheers team. I had an acetime. felt like we distributed the workload pretty effectively too (ie I actually did something this time ;-) Incredible food and a great response from people (apart from HSBC who were worried that our-'Buy Nothing Day' and 'Food Not Bombs' banners were in some way 'anti-bank :o :? '

Im still super sad about the rocket stove repression,. I think we'll be ok at Grassmarket though. Its only while theyre starting up they give the erroneous impression of being a fire in a barrel.

loads of love, well done again, we did so well. Smug