The bigger picture

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
martinmckenna

Re: The bigger picture

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:07 pm

SEE POUSSIN HEAR LORRAIN
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

James

Post by James » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:22 pm

michaelbowdidge wrote:FWIW I do appreciate the fact that you have at least tried to put your ideas forward in a reasonable way, but you need to understand that (without wanting to sound like a drama queen) to be involved in the creation or promotion of contemporary art for any length of time is to feel in some sense constantly under attack from the ignorant and the opinionated in a way which I think has few parallells in any other discipline, creative or otherwise... no-one ever gives mathematicians a hard time for writing difficult equations, so why should artists be treated any differently?
So, I mean this entirely in the spirit of someone who has studied art theory of photography and quite likes a debate about this stuff .... no attack!

but this the 2nd time you've compared arts to science.
In addition, if we are all artists then are we all musicians or brain surgeons too? Of course not, yet anyone who has devoted any of their time to trying to make art in any kind of considered way has to constantly cope with everyone else in the world proclaiming that all of their hard work counts for nothing, as we are all equally adept...
You seem, if you said people take time trying to learn craft I would have agreed with your comparison. It takes time to learn to be a good painter, to manipulate the paint, to learn technique .. like it does to be a good brain surgeon.

But well, comparing brain surgery to art?

With a brain surgeon, it is pretty clear to anyone, laypeople included, whether a brain surgeon is doing a good job or not. His last 50 patients died? probably not. In short, there is a right and a wrong way to do brain surgery.

art on the other hand - what is art? what is the right way to do art? what is the wrong way? who the fuck knows? I don't.

we should expect a healthy debate over the eternal question "yes, but is it art?". thats part of the fun.

also, my 2p wants to say I think TK is great. We give opportunities to so many people that wouldn't have them otherwise. Keep up the good work.

James

Post by James » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:28 pm

ps. i almost failed my ma of photography cos the course people thought there was a right answer to what art was and a lot of time i disagreed :-)

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:37 pm

I failed one of my art modules because I provided no coursework to go with it showing how I got my inspiration and idea for the piece although i just painted what I wanted to paint...to be fair to them though that particular piece was pretty sh*t! haha

I still standard by the rule that I shouldn't have to explain why I want to paint something or explain how some famous dude from 200 years ago created a style of art that is directly contributing to what im doing in 1999. Say no to course work and research...it's boring.
It's like God's vagina!

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:04 pm

Aye Gandhi, that totally put me off studying art after GCSE. Half a second to have the idea, half a year to put together a totally fake account of where it came from and how it was "developed".

James

Post by James » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:05 pm

Gandhi wrote:I failed one of my art modules because I provided no coursework to go with it showing how I got my inspiration and idea for the piece although i just painted what I wanted to paint...to be fair to them though that particular piece was pretty sh*t! haha

I still standard by the rule that I shouldn't have to explain why I want to paint something or explain how some famous dude from 200 years ago created a style of art that is directly contributing to what im doing in 1999. Say no to course work and research...it's boring.
clearly this suggests an advertising line: "The forest: we failed art school!"

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:40 pm

I like it!
It's like God's vagina!

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:42 pm

I could never draw hands.
Pep Up The Turmoil

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:48 pm

We need an Art Agony Aunt!
We have all suffered terrible life-long pain through unapreciation of our art...art teachers are quite clearly evil :twisted:
It's like God's vagina!

michaelbowdidge

Post by michaelbowdidge » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:38 pm

Ask Bismarck - i'm sure he will oblige... :wink:
I'll take your brain to another dimension...

michaelbowdidge

Post by michaelbowdidge » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 pm

...and BTW i sometimes teach art part -time (no, really) - does that make me a part-time evil person then?

I guess I know that answer to that one....

michaelbowdidge

Post by michaelbowdidge » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:51 pm

James wrote:clearly this suggests an advertising line: "The forest: we failed art school!"
I know you're just kidding, but please speak for yourself and not eveyone else: I didn't fail (in fact I'm still there doing a PhD FWIW) and there are quite a few others here that didn't, but I'm sure that we don't really count, being humourless pretentious air-kissing arseholes by definition...

Don't get me wrong - most of my tutors were aresholes on my undergraduate course, but the couple who were good were very good and made it all worthwhile...

By the way the reason I keep comparing art to science is that it's a way of finding out about the world, just as science is, but creative practice often gets sidelined by more 'rational' epistemologies for a whole bunch of historical/philosophical reasons...

Mwah - Ciao!!!!!

Susana

Post by Susana » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:25 am

Michael, point taken.
Susanita, la amiga tonta de Mafalda

michaelbowdidge

Post by michaelbowdidge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:28 am

Fair enough, sorry if i was a little harsh, it's just a subject that is very close to my heart.

spark

Post by spark » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:48 pm

Can we stay on topic please, I don't care whether you failed at art school, start a thread on it, or book the cafe if you want to perform.
To tour around trying to get people thinking that the forest is not a cult suggests that it is, but those in the club want to present something else.
Let us not try to re invent the wheel. Art galleries are good, it is what is in them that matters.

"Also, I went to one of the artists' meetings, and the opinion I got from there is that only one or two people are the ones who judge what artist should display his/her art. Is that correct? If so, why?"

After years I one day felt inspired to paint on the forest walls. I was told that I should submit my idea to either of two people(I don't name names) What happened to spontaneity? I am talking about the hallway and downstairs. In the end, it looks like someone has started something but not finished it, one of the people who would JUDGE my idea I presume.
Over the years I have offered to bring pro recording equipment to the forest and record musicians. I have been ignored every time.
I have shown interest in doing the pa, as a sound engineer of sorts, but felt fear and rejection from others.
My first time in the forest, when it was at the grass market, I waited half an hour for Ryan to serve me a vegy burger and just walked out. I came to the conclusion that the forest doesn't like Edinburgh people, or those who dress in Edinburgh Gadge clothes. We don't all go around with a can of strong lager in our hands scowling at people.
And what about some art work from Edinburgh people, or is that against "club" rules?
We can't have our cake and eat it. If the forest is controlled by a cleek in the back ground, then they must accept responsibility, or open up more.
The "cleek" cannot be blamed for the actions of everyone who abuses another, and it is important for people to remember this while talking about the bigger picture and their less desirable experiences.
And, if you want to say that , well, that was in the past, but it is the same people who are still calling the shots, in the background of course. And we have not reached the subject of money, who earns a wage and who doesn't. I say that on the basis that the forest is transparent and open, and that we all have a say. So, is anyone willing to print the names of anyone who gets a wage on this thread? That is not to say that I am against people getting something back from their efforts.
LOVE IS CHANGING EVERYTHING

neil

Post by neil » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:28 pm

Clique.

Who gets a wage? The kitchen managers. Currently I think their names are Alex, Bryony, Rosie and Jamie. They change quite often. Forest also employs two building managers. This has been necessary because of the ever increasing amount of bureaucracy that needs to be dealt with. Not to mention an ever increasing amount of people trying to randomly paint on the walls etc. The names of these people are James and Lynne.

That's it.
And what about some art work from Edinburgh people, or is that against "club" rules?
Are you saying that forest never features work from Edinburgh people? Are you seriously saying that?
What happened to spontaneity?
Spark - are you, by any chance, one of the people who likes to spontaneously write drivel on the toilet walls?

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:41 pm

owned
It's like God's vagina!

michaelbowdidge

Post by michaelbowdidge » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:59 pm

spark wrote:And what about some art work from Edinburgh people, or is that against "club" rules?
For the nth time there are NO "club rules" with regard to what gets picked for exhibitions in the gallery. We make COLLECTIVE decisions at Visual Arts Working Group meetings on the last thursday of every month at 7pm. EVERYBODY is welcome to attend and participate in these meetings. There is no 'secret list' handed down from on high as to what we can and can't show. If there was we would throw it straight in the bin. What do you think this is?

Anyway, what exactly do you mean by 'Edinburgh people'? Do we have to be born here to qualify for this status? Are you going to start checking birth certificates? What if you were born in Penicuik? Or Kirkcaldy? Does that still count? For what it's worth, we have shown and are planning to show plenty of work by 'Edinburgh people' (by your definition, not ours) as well as lots of work by other people from all over the planet. And we don't get paid a single bloody penny for the work that we put into helping the gallery to run.

I'm beginning to suspect that you really quite enjoy the idea of a 'forest conspiracy' - unfortunately there isn't one. I'd go back to reading Nexus if you like that kind of thing...

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi highly suggest everyone just ignore any of Sparks' comments as he only comes on here to wind people up. If you don't believe me check out every single one of his previous posts...it's boring.
It's like God's vagina!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:54 pm

he once made you lose your sense of humor ghandi. a terrible day, that was, dark dark day.

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:22 pm

Gandhi wrote: peace & love, maaaan.
Wait a minute- that makes it all clear. Spark is none other than Ringo Starr!
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

spark

Post by spark » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:34 pm

Ok, I am a stirrer. I feel rejected from forest and autonomous centre, two places which pride themselves on being radical, yet perhaps I feel that neither accept me because I am radical, or, too radical for them.
I encompass both these places in the bigger picture, and others I have yet to meet.
Otherwise, we tick children off, then hug them to show we love them and let them get on with it hoping that they learn from their lessons.

The band the other night brought their own P.A system such is their faith in the forest sound. The guy on the forest desk was frustrated at not being able to improve their sound. You cant win.
Also. if people are paid, then surely they ARE resonsible to some degree, given the level of chaos in the forest.
And, why on earth if the forest gives grants can it not buy a forest acoustic guitar for the cafe stage. The open mic last week was embarrasing when no one had a guitar. People may get up more and do a song impromptu.
Ringo Star? Sorry, I am not that talented :roll:

Martin

Post by Martin » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:44 pm

There was at one point a forest guitar. It eventually got fucked or stolen, as is the way of all things here. If we bought a new thing every time the old one got broken the forest would go bankrupt in a month.

Hence, we wind up with only the stuff that's utterly essential on a day-to-day basis. Other things only survive if there are some individuals who are actively taking care of them. When those people get bored, or burn out, or move on, stuff falls into disrepair again.

There's no point criticising over this. We all know it. The only way to improve things is to step in and take something on. Everyone here is already at the limit of what they can put into the forest.

michaelbowdidge

Post by michaelbowdidge » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:22 pm

spark wrote:My first time in the forest, when it was at the grass market, I waited half an hour for Ryan to serve me a vegy burger and just walked out. I came to the conclusion that the forest doesn't like Edinburgh people, or those who dress in Edinburgh Gadge clothes. We don't all go around with a can of strong lager in our hands scowling at people.
Look Spark, you really shouldn't take the legendary Forest service personally - believe me, it really has absolutely NOTHING to do with who you are or what you're wearing. If I took it personally everytime I had to wait for around for a coffee or be ignored, or be told that the kitchen is closed at 6:30 in the evening when I'm starving and all around me are stuffing themselves full of cheesy beans, I'd have topped myself by now.

No disrespect to the kitchen managers and volunteers, who are doing a FANTASTIC job under difficult circumstances but the service (sometimes) leaves a little to be desired. We all know this and accept it, it's the price we pay for not being Starbucks, and thank whichever Gods you like that this is the case. If this is what it takes to retain our individuality, then so be it...

If you can see things that you think need doing then get involved, come to meetings and make it happen. I know you would rather it was more 'spontaneous' than that, but the fact that we have some structure allows us to avoid the place becoming totally chaotic (which seems to be one of the things that you're complaining about). At the end of the day, the Forest is no-one's sandpit, and that's as it should be. Structure and a measure of stability allow us to keep space(s) open for interesting shit to (hopefully) happen on a regular basis.

We all feel like outsiders sometimes. Really. We do. So much of the langauge you use to desribe our supposed 'rejection' of you is very subjective (which is as it should be, of course), but from my own experience I think it's easy to assume that people are judging and rejecting you by the look on their faces, when in fact they're probably worrying or thinking about something that has nothing to do with you at all, or are just busy and preoccupied.

I think you should come in from the cold, metaphorically speaking - the door's open, shit needs doing...

neil

Post by neil » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:54 pm

I believe anybody who doesn't have an avatar should not be allowed to volunteer. We are living in the cyberdelic age, people. There is no excuse.

spark

Post by spark » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:11 pm

One of my earlier points was in relation to painting on the walls.
I have never written on the toilet or any other walls in the forest
I suffer from acute anal retention and perhaps it could remove the block if I were to be nawty and paint on a wall without asking even, or having to submit something to someone to be judged, how on earth can someone else judge as to whether art is good enough?.... though, knowing my luck, my mother would probably go by at that point and give me a clip round the ear for painting on the walls.
Perhaps it is a bit like having a quicky behind a clothes rail in Jenner's with your loved one or something, the excitement of being caught. I aspire to one day writing something smutty in a locked cubicle in the forest leaving my real phone number next to it and not a false one or someone who I dislike.
Anyway, that open mic, all poor pockets could offer people was to play his little thingy. Then Asazi refused to let anyone touch his bigger thingy, which I understand, the spiritual bond between artist and ...thingy, then the guy next to me got angry because Asazi wouldn't let him touch his thingy, I am not that keen on people touching mine either. So the atmosphere became spiritually polluted with ugly vibrations from the guy next to me simply because there was no guitar, something which may bring more people into the forest, unlike other things you may be speaking of which get broken. Are you a player yourself? Or perhaps the bureaucratic types don't quite understand but think they do. The cafe itself exists for art for artists, I presume, so of course a guitar is very important. I realise that the money side etc needs to be dealt with, but I think your point says something in itself, that all too often, the people who make decisions, don't always have a clear view of what is needed. Those who do may not want tot get involved in that side of things. Theree is not enough for a guitar yet enough to pay people, while the image/ public profile is of a voluntary set up.
Thanks for being open and transparent, I will now move on to the scottish parly banks and council and see if they are willing to be the same about their... our affairs, or is it our... their affairs?, Something doesn't stack up, I will get back on this one.
And, I may well come in from the cold, in fact, for your cheek, I am going to play the cafe, give me the events book.
And, Avatars are for little girls.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:47 pm

- why wouldn't the organizer bring a guitar to an open mic night? why would people who play guitar turn up to an open mic night without a guitar?

- does anyone else think it is strange we never see danny and spark in the same room?

- please write on the walls some place else. Graffiti in the Forest is pointless - politically you are preaching to people who already get the message (or, think they do, or want to believe they do, or have heard the message so much that an a with a circle around it ain't gonna help) artisticly you are ruining somebody else's vision which is inconsiderate and truly vandalism, and moreover, from a social point of view - you are wasting the time and energy of a collective of volunteers (even the paid staff are volunteers if you consider their wages divided by the time they spend here / shit they have to deal with).

I suggest writing on the walls of:

The Quarter Mile
Starbucks
The Omni Center
H & M
Every Hotel in Edinburgh

and any other number of places where people get paid to clean such things up / where the maximum ammount of people can see what you have to say. Graffiting on local business / charity is 100% a dick thing to do - not something to aspire to.

Further, we have no burocratic types. Every member of the collective is a practising artist in their own way and your tone makes we wish everyone here would stop indulging you.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:47 pm

Further, we have no bureaucratic types. Every member of the collective is a practising artist in their own way and your tone makes we wish everyone here would stop indulging you.
I don't know if everyone at Forest is an artist, but I do know that we should thank our stars that enough good people care enough to spend countless, unglamorous hours dealing with bureaucrap.

I have a rule for online message forums: Don't waste time with those who hide behind anonymity to say the things they aren't brave enough to say in public.

trellis

Post by trellis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Shannon wrote:
I have a rule for online message forums: Don't waste time with those who hide behind anonymity to say the things they aren't brave enough to say in public.
agreed !

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:33 am

I didn't write "peace and love" in my last post, the interweb changed it. I would never have said something so Nix.haha.
It's like God's vagina!

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:50 am

Admins, word censoring is NOT for you to make back door edits to peoples' posts, and especially not for the pursuit of some dubious hippy agenda. If you wish to do so you should use the edit button and make it explicit that you have done so.

Unless of course it's exceedingly funny, a bar which this example has fallen far below.

Back on topic,

Bring back national service !
I love the bomb.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:16 pm

Yeah this changing of words thing is totally annoying. Please stop or you'll feel the wrath of the Swithun. oh and someone deleted a post of mine once because i pointed out some mistakes and things i disagreed with the original post, they then PM'd me to say what they had done and at the time i thought it was funny but the more i think about the more chance i'll turn in to the Hulk...it seemed like my post had been deleted so they could edit there original post which they did so they didn't look so silly. It was about the Academy of Fools...ironic. I'll feel the admin kind of did a jobsworth on that one!
It's like God's vagina!

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:18 pm

Bring back monkey wrestling.
It's like God's vagina!

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:04 pm

Word filters removed, since they were pretty lame and will only fuel spark's conspiracy theories.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:16 pm

nice one. peace and love to all. :lol:
It's like God's vagina!

spark

Post by spark » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:46 pm

Conspiracy theories? I have never mentioned them. I may at some point talk about conspiracy facts and alternative theories, but I am not going to, just to annoy you all and duff up your expectations of me.
Anyway, changing the subject and blaming it all on me is not a good idea or I really will start talking about nose shapes, genes and bloodlines, not that I am suggesting that there is a nose thing going down at the forest. Others who talk about conspiracy things more than I who are supposedly not into that sort of thing obviously know. I tend to keep an open mind on things. Anyway, love and peace to Danny.
And, 10 people turning up at the forest with a guitar each is gross overkill and takes up space. But still, make me sound stupid, for now anyway. The viewpoint you talk from is not a singer songwriter one, and as often is the case, we may have people talking out of their butt's about things they know nothing about.
Anyway, I am on my own here, Had I a bit of support from others it may be a different story, so enjoy your totalitarian time. I am not convinced that you have conquered here as much as you may think, there are vague parts to some of the answers and they are the sort of things which can jump out of the bog and bite your ass.
I have no intentions of writing things on walls. I am a talented artist, I use art to express, I am not convinced that we can say that about some people ion the forest. When red tape and money rules the arts and artists, as it does in the world, and to ....well, what extent in the forest? it may be more than you people are claiming I suspect, then we have a situation of twisted reversal of natural values. Art being our original and natural way of life. So where did the money and rigid big brother stuff come in and why and who and......Conspiracy facts are crawling out of the walls, if only people would open their eyes, but I will let you enjoy your little illusion of victory here.
In the future, we will all be artists, regardless of genes and bloodlines, AND NOSE SHAPES! Uh! there I go again, wrong again, drat!

simone

Post by simone » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:00 pm

for the love of god, give it a rest
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
(Billy Bragg)

spark

Post by spark » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:40 am

There are those who don't seem to be able to maintain more than a few thoughts on the bigger picture before pulling it down to a personal thing, a personal slanging thing even. I would like to thank them as they are a good example as to why some people stay out of the inner forest circle(s).
So let me get personal for a moment.
Some people even seem to think that they know me. You don't know me. Anything you think you know has come via gossipping sweety wives, and I get the feeling that there is no shortage of them in and around the forest.
I have lived in poverty for the best part of 20 years and have written around 90 songs in that time. I am expected to give the away for free to the forest and worse, open mics which only exist to swell corporate brewery coffers.
I don't take part in group situations because I am sensitive to the vibrations from peoples thoughts. If anyone in the world is angry with me, I feel it, and much of my day is peppered with this in any given day, and that is me staying detached from the world to some degree. I try to keep a balance, but there are always those who know better. I no longer work because of this vibrations thing. There is always someone with their anger, jealousy, and general negativity. Indeed, recently, I have felt anger from someone when logging in here, before I have even made the post. Someone is taking their role far too serious and needs to let go a little.
I will play in the cafe before Christmas, I need to rehearse to remember the words. I am also recording a Cd of songs, which is my main priority at the moment. After that, I may get more involved with the forest.
The bigger picture- Stay out of this thread if you can't speak about it or even see A bigger picture at all.
It could be said that, in terms of its potential, the forest vehicle has always been up on bricks. Children clamber over it and take turns in the drivers seat pretending to move at speed, making AlL the appropriate noises as they go. It may take deeper and more spiritually mature minds to put some wheels on it and get the engine running and get it moving. The children may then have to sit in the back, or be stuffed into the boot if necessary, though, spirituality is all about letting go of excess baggage, some may do well to remember that.
I have been getting out meeting people and in places like the forest and autonomous centre etc, I am coming across people who seem to think that they can somehow structure a new society, without spirituality being involved. Excuse me for a second.....mmmMMMWWWAAAHAHAHA! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
People will learn that this is not possible. Indeed, they may find that they have been walking over and destroying the very people who have the tools to help the many attain certain awareness which can allow us all to make progress into the future, which looks very bright.
I intend to get some workshop things going in the new year.
Otherwise, emails have been sent on a few occasions through the correct procedures with regards to getting the upstairs hall, albeit for free, to hold a meditation for people of all denominations, or none, and backgrounds. There has been no reply what so ever each time, not even a polite rejection, or even better, explaining why. It seems to have been Ryan who has been dealing with this department, so perhaps, if he doesn't mind, he could make the next post in this thread explaining why there is such little interest in such a potentially powerful form of world and community service. Was it a personal decision, who else made the decision with you etc? The events, with possible lIve meditation music, with no finance involved anywhere what so ever, may not have interested many people for all I know. Is it for the one or two people to decide that? Are there those who would get jealous if I instigated such a thing and try to destroy it, as before, with their gossipping sweety-ism? I will do this anyway, but the forest does seem like an ideal place for it. And the building could probably do with some good powerful vibes put into it as there is no telling what has gone in the past and to what degree it may contain UN- invited guests, if you know what I mean. It may even solve the chaos problem.
So, thoughts are actions and like all actions, they tend to come back home to us at some point.
peace, love even

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:36 pm

trellis wrote:
Shannon wrote:
agreed !
double agree.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:09 pm

Anonymity, I remember that.
I love the bomb.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:26 pm

I no longer work because of this vibrations thing.
:roll:
It's like God's vagina!

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:37 pm

He used to be a male escort ?
I love the bomb.

spark

Post by spark » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:29 pm

Still hiding the facts and refusing to face certain things? I post with the awareness that people know WHO I am and always have. I won't make any more posts for the time being, I don't think I have any more to say, it is time for action. I am not looking to TAKE here. Indeed, all my posts are designed to bring benefit to ALL and not just a few. I know this may be against your own principles of self promotion etc.
In the forest, one has to self promote (capitalism) and compete with others (capitalism) and money seems to be the dominating factor all too often, (capitalism).
As for anonymity, heh, have you had a look at your SELF? Anyway, still bringing the bigger picture down to a more manageable personal thing are we? I will leave others to continue with the bigger picture, it may be bigger than we think.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:34 pm

:lol:
It's like God's vagina!

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:43 pm

Spark! was it by any chance you who left all those Resonate/Omsound tapes in the freeshop? great cassette - thanks! not so keen on some of your posts here, but cool tape: thanks.
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

Bismarck Christmas

Post by Bismarck Christmas » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:38 am

It may seem obvious, but has anyone noticed that 'Spark' rhymes with 'Mark'?

And that 'Spark' backwards is 'Kraps'?

Just sayin'... :|

spark

Post by spark » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:48 pm

Yes, I left the omsound tapes, I also have one in the shop at the mo called elevator music. I am playing on wed 13th nov at 7.00 in the cafe. Urban monk presents:songs from the magic garden of angels and fairies. I may comunicate better through song and music than speaking. I don't like my posts either, but being quiet has had no effect, in the global sense of my life, so here we are. And, I would say these things to your faces, and also don't mind using my name and a picture of me, no probs. I wonder if others are willing to do the same? And who cares? The forest should not become a religion to anyone. Or, we should not allow the religious mechanism within us all to turn it into such, cult like. People like me make these posts to ensure it doesn't happen, which is not to say that I think it is happening. And I reserve the um right, left and centre to spell as I like. Yes, a sheep breaking free of the flock.
If I brought these issues to the monthly meeting, it would take up the agenda,and I think you know that. Here, people can think about things and get back when they are ready rather than having to come up with imediate answers in a meeting. Also, everyone can take part here, or follow the minutes of this discussion and others.
I don't know you people, I generalise, so don't take it too personal. Others can learn from what we are discussing here, for years to come even. Here is my latest generalisation-

Hello and welcome to stir crazy, today we are going to make Halloween porridge.
Making good porridge, as you may know, is all about stirring, or the individual flakes tend to stagnate and stick to the bottom of the pot. The aim is that each flake remains free and flowing with the energy within the pot.
If we don't stir, then clumpy cleeky lumps can form, causing blockages in the flow and circulation of the pot.
These clumpy lumps who, by nature, don't like the stirrer and tend to sink to the bottom of the pot as a result of clinging together, weighed down by each other, also, they don't absorb liquid and remain dry and compressed, which can cause dehidration and poor digestion etc while the free flowing individual flakes, or,other flaky ones, continue to flow with the energy, but may be told by the clump that they are wrong to do so.
Clumpy cleeky lumps can be broken up by bringing the wooden spoon down on them, or mashed against the side of the pot with the back of the spoon in order to free them and become free flowing individuals along with the others. This may depend on how little stirring has already been going on. All flakes are part of the whole pot, so being free and flowing with the energy should not cause fear or insecurity to flakes, then the whole pot becomes one free flowing mass, at one together, and, the stirrer is also happy. "Unity in diversity"

michaelbowdidge

Post by michaelbowdidge » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:52 pm

spark wrote:I don't know you people, I generalise, so don't take it too personal.
Well, we try not to, but it is difficult not to sometimes... By and large I actually agree with some of the reasons you've set out above for your behaviour, but I do want to point out (but not angrily) that quite a lot of your previous posts have centred on the various ways in which you felt that you were not being treated as an individual in and by the forest. Given that, Spark, is it entirely fair for you to generalise about the people that you 'don't know'?

Anyway, I hope your gig goes well. Really. :)

spark

Post by spark » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:39 am

I have cited some of my experiences as someone on the fringes, it is of value to those on the inner circles, it lets you know what it is like on the outside and how much help and encouragement people who may have hidden talents are/ may be getting. remember, the world is designed to crush artists, people who are capable of creating new visions, of a new world, those in global authority don't like that.
In short, if anyone feels hurt by my posts, then they may be too close to it all, too attached to it all, taking it all far too serious. That is when they will find big obstacles and tests coming along, and I don't set the test papers, so I can't be blamed for the way the forest works.
Let us not pretend that everything is perfect all of a sudden, but don't let me destroy peoples confidence in what they are doing.
Power, Authority, responsibility which comes with these things. In the world we see how not to use power, how to use it to abuse many many people. If you have a role within the forest, then it is your responsibility to serve others, otherwise, what are you doing there? What are you doing with your power and authority? I could ask any group on the planet the questions I am putting here on this thread.
If the artists on the fringes are not being served by those who sit on the seats of power, then people like me will speak out.
Perhaps this is best summed up by the 'writings on the wall' outside the cafe at the moment which says "the fascist cafe" :lol: . This person is an artist, they would be better hunted down by those who have authority in the forest and their creative writing talents used rather than shut them out, as they obviously feel.
Those who are paid are particularly responsible for getting the artists on the fringes, the ones who may have talent, or the desire to find out even, and get them going by whatever reasonable means it requires. that is not to say they are not doing so. Some people are shy and sensitive, they don't push themselves forward and they need a push or simply an invite to play, to do etc. which is the case I agree. I feel and get that more now than before with the forest, so I would like to think that progress is being made, but must also be maintained.
A few posts ago, I did get personal, it may be that people don't believe what I said and chose to throw stones. This is disappointing, but whatever, this is not about me me me, it is about us us us, and no them them them.
And, don't try to tell me that I don't have the authority to ask such questions, I do, the real question may be, do SOME People have the authority to shut me out or try to destroy me with their limited thinking? I don't want to get personal, things will move froward once we all address our OWN inner issues.
I have been putting time and energy here, I don't do it for nothing, I do it because I like what the forest is and care about the kind of people who go there, many of who have been abused by an un caring succession of governments. It is time to work together and put pressure on these people, but first we need to sort out our own back yard, then the bigger picture.
Also, the forest is vulnerable due to its lack of funds and so is open to those who like to infiltrate at the highest level. They may come dressed as the cavalry with money. I would watch for this.

pockets

Post by pockets » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:20 pm

spark wrote: Over the years I have offered to bring pro recording equipment to the forest and record musicians. I have been ignored every time.
I have shown interest in doing the pa, as a sound engineer of sorts, but felt fear and rejection from others.

Ok spark, the reason that you may have been ignores is because most of the vollies at the Forrest have no idea on what to do in terms of the pa.
I have tried to Arrange sound days and so has nix and Chris and everything, only a few people have turned up. we are trying our best to provide a nice sound!
But if you want to do sound, just do sound! all you got to do is ask for the event book, call the people that the event is being put on by and ask them if they need an engineer.
when i first came into the forest, i had no clue where anything was but i still done it, i still tried, and i managed *after about a hour of plugging shit in* to figure out what everything did, then i used my 1 year of college sound tech, (yes only 1 year- and i failed the course) and made it work to the point of sounding good.
in respect to recording, just record, we have a cd recoreder behind the desk thats all wired in!
if you want do do sound, just do it! thats what i did
sorry i'm a little angry at this! i had no idea what i did when i started at the forest, i had no idea what the forest was ether!
PLAYBOY POCKETS!