Project:“Talking for a Change”

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Roman

Project:“Talking for a Change”

Post by Roman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:50 pm

Project: “Talking for a Change”
September 2008 – February 2009

Project Overview

During 6 months monthly conversations/presentations will take place in the Forest Café. Six Local NGOs, environmental, social or political activists will talk about important issues from their fields or present their organisations and their work. Each event will take averagely 1h30 min including questions from the audience. Events will be recorded and maybe burned as Documentary Film DVD.

Why this Project?

Currently the Forest cafe is quite passive in the area of Community Actions; there aren’t many community, political or alternative media projects within the organisation. In order to get active among non-profit onrganisations/political groups in Edinburgh the Forest needs activities and contacts.

The project aims are:
To support community actions within the Forest;
To give NGOs/Political activists the opportunity to present their work and organisation;
To establish contacts and partnerships with other non-profit organisations / political groups;
To increase the knowledge of the audience in important issues.

Project Steps:

1. Working on the concept of the project/ development/ new ideas etc.
2. Looking for potential speakers/guests and contact them
3. Making Schedule of events
4. Promoting event by posters/flyers/internet and etc
5. Organising event day, preparing the cafe, introducing the speaker to the audience etc.
6. (Making film about project)

Group of Orginisers:

Ida - EVS volunteer (Germany)
Roman – EVS volunteer (Georgia)

---------------------------------------------
Discussion is Open
(will be discussed during Action Group meeting on Sunday 14th/7pm/Action Room)
"Don't trust anyone over thirty" - Jerry Rubin

Olivier

Re: Project:“Talking for a Change”

Post by Olivier » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:58 pm

Hey roman i can help you to contact som NGO, I've got some names. When we can talk about that.

Shannon

Re: Project:“Talking for a Change”

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:15 am

Nice one. I have lots of names too. I would also suggest that you try and give preference to horizontal, self-organised groups who work in a similar way to the Forest. Or, innovative groups doing something different than the same old boring tried and failed methods... For example, I'm in Sweden where I've met a bunch of people involved in a group called 'Planka' who organise fare dodgers. Their tactics and publicity are very clever and they've had much success because of it (I think). Check it out.