activist research

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Shannon

activist research

Post by Shannon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:09 pm

This came to info@theforest. Anyone fancy helping her out??

During my honours degree in geography at Glasgow University I am required to submit a substantial piece of work based on a particular area of interest. Thus, considering how current culture contributes to such a gap in wealth between the rich and poor, I have chose to base my research around the idea of how individuals interact with their environment in an expression outside the limits of capitalism – looking at the dynamic landscape of political culture and action.

Having been introduced to your work and cafe by a friend of mine i have become increasingly interested in the events you hold and thus work you carry out in an attempt to highlight and resist our ever increasing globalised world. The provisional title of my dissertation is 'Transforming space through cultural activism'. Thus would it be possible to carry out a short interview with you or any of your collegues or even if it would be easier, ask you to fill out a short questionaire.

All help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you ever so much for your time

Carly Smith

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:12 pm

And another one:

Dear Colleague,

Please excuse me for emailing you out of the blue like this. I got your details from the EVOC website. My name is Nikki Thomson and I am a part-time student at the University of Edinburgh on the MBA programme. I also work full-time for Edinburgh Tenants Federation, and have worked in the voluntary sector for the past ten years.

In order to complete my degree I must research and submit a dissertation. In the light of my professional background I have chosen ‘The Professionalisation of the Scottish Not-for-Profit Sector’ as the topic for my dissertation, and my intention is to explore the drivers of modernisation and their effects on the sector, and in particular whether the effects are being felt evenly across all parts of the sector.

I spoke with key sector stakeholders in order to get an overview of what is happening, and to get their opinions on how change is affecting the voluntary sector. Now I want to see whether what they told me is borne out by examining the experiences of voluntary and community-based organisations themselves.

To this end, I was wondering whether you would be willing to help me with my research by answering a short online survey that I’ve put together. You can find the survey at

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm= ... jgig_3d_3d

The survey should take no more than ten minutes to complete. I do not ask for any information that can identify either you personally, or your organisation, so your anonymity is assured. I am trying to build up a picture of what’s happening in different parts of the sector rather than to individual organisations. The information you give me will only be used for my dissertation which is an academic work and will not be used for commercial gain. Any email addresses compiled for the purposes of this survey will be destroyed when I submit my dissertation.

I’m up against a tight deadline and would be really grateful if you could find time to complete the survey before the end of June – better still, why not grab a coffee and do it now?

Feel free to forward this on to family, friends and colleagues who work or volunteer in the sector – I’d like to gather as many responses as possible. I hope you will be able to help me in my research and would be happy to discuss this further with you if you need more information.

With best wishes,

Nikki Thomson

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:16 pm

I filled in the bottom questionaire.
I don't mind fielding the top one - is there an email address I can contact her from?
Pep Up The Turmoil

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:38 pm

you can count me in too Dai if you want x x
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:53 pm

Email address by pm.