Computers in Red/Gold Room

Front of House, garden etc.
lucky

Computers in Red/Gold Room

Post by lucky » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:36 pm

Yo!

So, on building day it was discussed to get rid of one of the computers in the gold room. In the end, we just moved one of them and the other remained. There is a good weight of argument behind getting rid of the one remaining beside the free shop.

The purpose of having the computers is to provide internet access for people to sort stuff out that don't have internet access otherwise. So far, I'm still seeing the extra computer being used for people to slouch around and pissing about on.

The remaining computer is in good view of KMs and other Volunteers working in the kitchen. It is comfortable enough for people to check out mail etc. but not so much for slouching.

The extra computer is another reason for vultures being attracted to The Forest. It is not being used appropriately, and it would make me a million times happier to be able to keep an eye on one computer usage. It's enough for people to do necessary stuff on.

We could also hang a big sign above it saying "If this person has been on here for more than 15 mins they are a VERY BAD PERSON and you should ask them to get off it so you can read your latest e-mail from your fiance you miss so much in Greenland."

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

Martin

Post by Martin » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:33 pm

I think no computers in the front room is a good plan. They just attract leeches. Without them there is a much better chance of having the front room project a good impression.

bryony

Post by bryony » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:51 pm

I agree with Alex. I think it is important to keep one computer for those of us not lucky enough to have our own personal laptop. The one by the window is being used appropriately as far as I can tell so it should stay. The other one is really attracting all the werdos we would like to go elsewhere.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:55 pm

I do not agree. I think it´s shit to only have one computer. It´s ridiculous to think we have just enough normal, non-laptop endowed people to allow for one computer, but only weirdos go to the second. If you really think it´s important to have them both in view, move the second one to the front window as well.

swithun

Post by swithun » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:11 am

Is there no wall space for them in the main room? Things will get shaken up a bit when the sound desk is redone this week.

Martin

Post by Martin » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:01 pm

We used to have both in the cafe and it was never really a problem. They would take up less space if we set them up for standing use as discussed before, too. Or if we don't want to make them that uncomfy, put them at a level where you sit on high stools. Still possible to sit but not to slouch.

lucky

Post by lucky » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:08 pm

Shannon wrote:I do not agree. I think it´s shit to only have one computer. It´s ridiculous to think we have just enough normal, non-laptop endowed people to allow for one computer, but only weirdos go to the second. If you really think it´s important to have them both in view, move the second one to the front window as well.
I seriously cannot remember the last time I seen two people on the computers at the same time doing productive stuff. You've got to admit, it's a huge problem. There is never currently a huge queue of people waiting to use them (which in itself is weird, I remember it used to be quite a battle to get on them at all) and if anyone is ever waiting it's because we have weirdof*cks hogging them.

If there's one computer, we can very easily keep the flow of users moving better. I also think it would provide a good opportunity to move weirdof*cks on.

We've been talking about mounting the computers (heh heh) for a while. Can anyone give a date when we could have it done by? Seriously, if both computers are at standing level it would be just as effective, and I would be just as ecstatic.

ALSO, even though they give the impression of being at the side of the room, they...sorry, the one remaining is still right in the middle of the room. We've GOT to make this room more beautiful, warm, nice and inviting. I think trying to attract more people into the Forest is more important than making people wait a few extra minutes to use the internet.

?

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

beev

Post by beev » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:58 pm

I agree that its more important to have an inviting atmosphere than to try to get everyone online at once.

Standing only is good. Standing in the main room even better if there is a space.

This is a problem that's been going on for toooooooo long.

And while I recognise that there will always be people who don't have easy access to the net (travelers and the like), I think there is a diminishing demand for our services as more and more people are getting connected at home. This is a real phenomenon that relates to forest people as much as anyone else. So it is very possible we are overdoing it and wfs are taking up the slack.

Martin

Post by Martin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:36 am

Standing can be done really quick, I sorted out the flatscreens so we just need to put in a shelf or two.

What's this about the sound desk changing? That corner's often a bit empty and could be a good spot to fit them in.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:57 pm

please don't put computers in the main event space. i object all the way.

as far as 1 v 2 vomputers go: 2 is a treat and 1 is fine, I think. I don't care enough to fight it and I think the resource will be used more effeciently if there is only one. Still, I take shannon's point and agree it could seem elitest / giving up to the laptop crowd.

chombee

Post by chombee » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:23 pm

I'd be happy with either one or two computers at standing or sitting height somewhere in the main cafe, if they can fit. Probably two standing is best. I think it's reasonable when there's an event on to turn the computers and the wireless off.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:04 pm

do not put the computers in the main space.

chris

Post by chris » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:29 pm

get rid of the computers altogether..

anyway i'll be moving them to oiutside.
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:19 pm

I knew you'd come round, Ryan. Putting the computers at standing height in the main room is the best solution. It lets us do something cool in the room formerly coloured gold and lets the non-laptop users access the information super highway without having this precious resource abused by weirdofucks. Even Chris agrees with us now.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:38 pm

do not put them in the main space.

bryony

Post by bryony » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:11 pm

No computers in the main room! One by the window in the Red room.

This is how it should be (in my humble opinion)

lucky

Post by lucky » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:59 pm

I agree, not in the main room. The last thing we need is to have people hanging around and climbing over other people when they're trying to eat their food. And anyone focusing on computers during events is ridiculously annoying.

This argument is going on too long. It is a very fair point that people DO NOT NEED to use the internet as much in The Forest as they have it at home. As I say, waiting time is minimal as it is.

One standing height as far to the side as possible in the Red Room. PLEASE!

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

chris

Post by chris » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:14 pm

put them in the toilets!
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:14 pm

agree with Alex and Ryan. I think that computers in the main room would just be a pain in the a**. Its not the biggest place and every bit of space needs to be used as well as possible. Having people clambering around trying to get to a computer would not only be annoying to people trying to read a book/eat dinner/chillax but would also be distracting for any performances happening.

Having the computers or computer in the red/gold room is fine I think, the only reason it kind of sucked before was that they seemed to be the main thing in the room. having them so that people stand and be less central (e.g.near the window) would not only make the front room seem bigger but also put a bit more energy back into it. They should just be a part of the room and not the main focus. there's too much cool shit to do in that room/the whole forest instead of it being for people to stare blankly at a screen. I also think the screens should be high enough so people don't start sitting down to use them again.
It's like God's vagina!

beev

Post by beev » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:20 pm

it doesn't even need to be against the wall. just put the one in the window on a table so you have to stand up to use it.

beev

Post by beev » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:23 pm

we could mount the two flatscreens on the wall for displaying art and info...

chombee

Post by chombee » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:07 pm

Mounting flatscreens on the wall or something like that, and using them to display stuff, is a cool idea. The trouble is if you want two screens displaying info then you need two computers connected to them (or one computer with two video outputs, which the gold room computers don't have). I'd suggest mounting the flatscreens at standing height somehow against a wall in the gold room (which is the plan we had a long time ago) and then having them display useful info when they're not in use (i.e. as a screensaver). But then, there is always someone on them.

Lets just give one computer in the gold room a try. Either with or without the monitor, either at standing height or not, one way or another. See what happens.

We could store the other computer somewhere until we think of something to do with it. At some point we could set it up somewhere out of view in the gold room, with no keyboard or mouse attached, and just hooked up to a flatscreen mounted to the wall, just non-interactively displaying info. It might be cool, but then I'm not sure if we need a computer to display information, we have lots of posters as it is. Adding a new page to the screen info could be made really easy though, if it was done over the network. Just add a file into a folder, and remove files from the folder. Quicker and easier than printing and sticking up posters and taking them down. Maybe a waste of energy. Thoughts?

Oh, or could we convert one of them into a Listening Post? A flatscreen mounted on a wall, with the actual computer out of the way somewhere. If you want them to be able to interact with it you need to at least provide a mouse and a flat surface for the mouse. But maybe it could be non-interactive? It just plays our music on shuffle, and people listen through headphones. and we add and remove music over the network? That's not much different to the jukebox we already have I s'pose, the only difference is they would see the name of the artist it's playing.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...

chombee

Post by chombee » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:08 pm

Or instead of a mouse we hook up some kind of joystick or other device that we attach to the wall, and they use to choose what music to play.

beev

Post by beev » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:58 pm

chombee wrote:... set it up somewhere out of view in the gold room, with no keyboard or mouse attached, and just hooked up to a flatscreen mounted to the wall, just non-interactively displaying info.... Adding a new page to the screen info could be made really easy though, if it was done over the network. Just add a file into a folder, and remove files from the folder.
This is exactly what I had in mind, and it will be more eye catching than any poster.

Listening station is great idea for the other flatscreen!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:14 pm

likey joystick listening post

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:29 am

There's three working flatscreens incidentally, though one of them is a bit smaller and possibly not as good.

chombee

Post by chombee » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:12 am

Anyway Bryony or Alex of whoever shouldn't let this talk slow them down, move one computer out of the gold room and into storage somewhere, we can bring it up again when we're gonna do something with it.

lucky

Post by lucky » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:00 pm

Thanks!

There's now one standing level computer near the window. Please, can people be vigilant in keeping the 2 tall chairs out of the Red Room.

I already feel lighter!

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

lucky

Post by lucky » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:57 pm

I'm thinking of putting this up.

A*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bohnenflaschen!

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:01 pm

I think that's very reasonable. Take away the image behind the text though, it makes it hard to read.

beev

Post by beev » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:41 pm

I'm not that into it. I don't think we should be defining what people are supposed to use the net for. (That doesn't mean I'm against censoring certain sites if it makes our lives easier!)

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:45 pm

i don't mind but it's tone could make people retaliate out of spite....

maybe wait and see who grumbles,
r

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:58 pm

Am all for the sign ,

It could be , that people dont know what is expected of them in using the computers and why they are there , not viewing nasty web sites goes without saying .

beev

Post by beev » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:11 am

Imho, people persistently doing what they're not supposed to do is rarely down to their ignorance of the rules. They know the rules and disagree with them, and are determined to do what they want regardless.

Therefore: with these cunts a sign will make no difference. They have to be prevented.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:41 pm

agree with beev. signs are our least effective weapons.

lucky

Post by lucky » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:01 pm

I was thinking about this because immediately people were still determiningly (sic) sitting and loafing. However, they seem to be learning quickly that it's not comfortable, and is already being effective in it's objective.

I reconsider, a sign is uneccesary for now. I'm just going to have the front to just speak straight to people blatantly abusing it.

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:12 pm

the red rooms seems a lot better , although it looks a sparse