Building Manager

Front of House, garden etc.
dan

Building Manager

Post by dan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:14 am

I was thinking it would be good to have some discussion of this post here, what it is for and what it should do, how many hours a week etc, how it's going so far...
So anyone want to start us off?
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

dan

Post by dan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:09 pm

ok how about this:
how many hours a week is it?
Should it have it's own office (eg Flavins old one?) or be located in Forest Office?
Should it involve the reinstatement of one of the old phone lines in the building as a direct line to the building manager, hence bypassing the forest kitchen for admin type calls?
Should there be monthly/two-monthly reports to Forest working group (or on Peoples Forum)?
That's all for the top of my head for now...
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:20 pm

Right now the position is four days/week, 9 hours/day. At the weekend away we agreed that we would look at it again in the fall.

Personally, I think it is incredibly important that we create a working office - for work only. This would be the building manager base, but other FOREST admin work could also happen here.

I'm not sure that a second phone line is really necessary? How much would it cost? It would be a lot easier directing the phone to the right person just by having the offices on the same floor.

Some sort of report would be good. Especially until we get a job task/responsibility list/thing nailed down. But I think twice/month is just going to cut into productive hours too much. A short summary at each working group meeting with some time for questions seems like a good idea to me. Does the KM position need some kind of report like this, or are we happy the way it is since it's a much more defined role (and it's quite easy to see if the job isn't really getting done)?

dan

Post by dan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:28 pm

thanks Shannon.
I was thionking once every two months, rather than every 2 weeks, yes that would be crazy busy.
There already have been extra lines into the building, all the wiring is there so it prob wouldn't be expensive. I just thought it's better to have one where the office answers rather than everything being filtered through kitchen. ALthough this is funny it also could put off the big funding nasties...perhaps?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:38 pm

I'm not against another phone line as long as it doesn't cost much. An answering machine might also mean people get their messages...?

chris

Post by chris » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:06 pm

monthly report is v good idea, plus shouldnt there be kind of targets (ie. do this by then... kinda thing) but in a nice way..

barcelona is lovely by the way, so warm here.

:)

xxxxxxxxx
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:35 pm

so should this be one of the aims then? To get this basic stuff in order. Maybe it should be done once main aim of getting something in writing out of EUS guarenteeing how long Forest has building for and how much of building it has has been achieved. I can't do this...

beev

Post by beev » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:03 am

I'll find out what it costs to get another line active. I know it will be £15 a month for the standing charge. Not sure about installation - usually a lot regardless of existing wiring, but BT are v.busy at the moment so I'll have to check up later.

chris

Post by chris » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:06 pm

certainly, there should be priorities to what ryan spends his time doing right?

i reckon filling rooms is really fucking important, and we shouldnt just stick posters up, but should be approaching and seeking out people and telling them about the space and opffering them rooms and shit..\\x\x
x
xx
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:58 pm

Yes, we talked about making a prioritised list of tasks, but haven't gotten any further than that. Maybe it could be talked about at the business & admin meeting tonight?