Free Internet Out Of Fashion?

Front of House, garden etc.
lucky

Free Internet Out Of Fashion?

Post by lucky » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:09 am

Yo!

As starting discussed in the Visual Arts forum, should we get rid of or move the internet from the Gold room?

It's always been good to have open access to internet, particularly when it started years ago, and prices were extortionate and it wasn't as wide spread etc.

Now, it's not the amazing volunteers and positive cafe patrons who are benefiting, but those vulturous people who spend ages on the internet and, despite signs etc, people feel a bit embarrassed or shy in asking people to GET OFF YOU'VE BEEN ON THE WHOLE AFTERNOON!!!

The fact this and the Free Shop is in the first room you come into means people will and do come in to check their mail, take stuff from the free shop then p*ss off without even entering the cafe or getting involved.

Thought?

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

swithun

Post by swithun » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:50 am

We still need to get those flat screens up. Maybe we could fix them to the wall and have the computers on a little shelf so that people need to stand to use them. This would take up less room and make the computers less comfortable. It is good to offer free internet access (for people who can't afford a laptop), but it would be good to take steps to prevent this from being abused and having a negative effect on the rest of the space.

lucky

Post by lucky » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:56 am

Sorry, I may have missed something. I didn't know we had flat screens. Do we have them? We should TOTALLY do this, perfect solution.

The keyboard should be at head height. That would be even more painful. Nyahahah!

No, that's a bad idea.

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

swithun

Post by swithun » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:01 pm

Garden Andy was fencing them a while ago. I think they are in the office on a shelf.

Jane

Post by Jane » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:13 pm

making people stand is a BRILLIANT plan.
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

beev

Post by beev » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:23 am

swithun wrote:We still need to get those flat screens up. Maybe we could fix them to the wall and have the computers on a little shelf so that people need to stand to use them. This would take up less room and make the computers less comfortable.
This was the plan, but the power adapters for the flatscreens appear to have disappeared.
swithun wrote:It is good to offer free internet access (for people who can't afford a laptop),
Remember, we intend to have a computery space which will presumably be available to people who are not leeches. Also, bongo has free internet, as does the library and probably some other places.
swithun wrote:...but it would be good to take steps to prevent this from being abused and having a negative effect on the rest of the space.
Making people stand may not be enough to prevent abuse :(

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:25 am

hey guys, when i gave you the flatscreens, I put all the cables in a cardboard box (it is pink and white and says Evolve Office on it, its a box which my works paper supplies come in), i wrote "flatscreen cables" on it i think, and it was next to the monitors (on the office couch) but has obviously been moved. Hope this information helps you locate them.

On the internet front, I think you should make people stand, if not to just stop the people who hog them for hours at a time, literally hours! not that i use them but im sure this is very annoying if you are waiting to use them, and completely against the 20 minute rule....keeeyunts....either that or you should just scrap the whole computer thing...they take up loadsa space, are relatively slow and a hassle for volunteers when they fuck up. Is the fact that you've got Wi-fi not enough?, or is that too unfair to those without laptops.
I see a lot of people walk in off the street, use the tinterweb then fook off, and don't spend anything in the cafe. This might be due to the fact that they are in the front room away from the service area, but then again, there's no room in the main room for them. anyway, im rambling...just trying not to do any work, Mondays suck balls. laters.
It's like God's vagina!

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:48 am

Hope the cables turn up. Are they more than just kettle leads?

If the computers were on a narrow shelf and with no chairs, they wouldn't take up much room, so a space on the wall in the main room might be found. Then it would be harder for people to hog them unseen by kitchen staff.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:51 am

it is good to offer free, non lap top computers. making them smaller, more uncomfortable is a plan though/

chris

Post by chris » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:52 am

why not put nails on the seats, and cover the keyboards with mushed bannanas?
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:35 pm

firstly, Chris...I like your style.
secondly, no Swithun they are not kettle leads, not really sure what they are...uuum...the cable is smaller and there is an adapter/transformer box on them (half way along the cable) and the plugs (into the screen)are smaller and round...a bit like the end of a Nokia phone charger! Wow 3 Years studying a BSc in media technology really shows hey, just check out my precise technical terminology!!! :?
It's like God's vagina!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:46 pm

I don't think the point of free internet is to lure people in and make them buy things. It is good with the community spirit and such. On the otherhand, they are not intended solely for chancer time wasters who contribute nothing to the space and flaunt our collective rules for no good end. Standing computers are a good compromise.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:18 pm

Shannon wrote:I don't think the point of free internet is to lure people in and make them buy things. It is good with the community spirit and such. On the otherhand, they are not intended solely for chancer time wasters who contribute nothing to the space and flaunt our collective rules for no good end. Standing computers are a good compromise.
agree.

bill

Post by bill » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:32 pm

why don't we just install the new flatscreen cordless moniters as they are. end all our problems. or attach them to some mad new machine which moves really slowly so the hanging screens go up and down and can't be read at their most up.?