Goodbye to Handsome Jack

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
ravanwin

Goodbye to Handsome Jack

Post by ravanwin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:10 pm

All,

As some of you may know our good friend Handsome Jack passed away last night in his sleep.

Handsome Jack was a Forest fixture since the Westport days and, in fact, was our very first customer. He passing leaves us with a very big hole in our collective as Jack was one of our best loved friends and was most loyal to the Forest ideals.

For me, it was always a pleasure to see him in the space, to get him a cup of tea and to see him helping out sweeping / moving tables etc. I think giving Handsome Jack a good, friendly place to sit, meet new people, spin 78s, and become part of a larger community was one of our greatest achievements as a collective and I know there are many in who will miss him very much.

At the moment we have no details regarding any services to commemorate the life of our old friend. I will e-mail / post details as soon as they are available so that all who are wanting to attend can come.

You can use this thread to write a little something about your memories of Jack and we will create a wee book in tribute to our friend that we can keep somewhere safe in the forest.

Perhaps that is a good idea?

See you all soon,

Ryan

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:26 pm

sorry to hear that. handsome jack was a good man - personally i always found him most encouraging. i remember one meeting where the whole committee, including jack, just took chairs and sat out on the grass market. he was always around.

peace be with you jack. thanks for being there.
"50 is not old for a tree."
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:47 pm

The last conversation I kept with him, I was raving to him about about Jerry Lee Lewis.
Of course it just so happened that Jack had seen him.
I asked him where.
He told me Germany,
I asked him why he was in Germany (Jack not Jerry)
He was there as I understood in order to encourage American soldiers to vote against Nixon.
A slight insight where I thought, fuck me, he must be sitting on tales without number.
A book of such tales would be a lovely thing.
Respect.
Pep Up The Turmoil

chris

Post by chris » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:54 pm

I will miss Handsome Jack greatly. He loved us all and forest very much, and was always concerned for us, whenever a new calamity would befall us. "what will we do now?" he asked me when theyd put up the 'for sale' sign recently, I reassured him that everything'd be fine 'just like the old days' we laughed and tried to devise plans, to escape the sale...

When we first set up forest, it really confused me that he wanted to hang out with us, but we all soon learnt of his sharp dry humour and the spark of life in his eyes.

I loved seeing him so much here, and for me, he will always be here.. with a cup of tea.

Chris
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

yarn

Post by yarn » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:22 pm

I have to say it comes as a great shock to hear he is no longer with us... Jack was always around and would always have time for me asking me how I was doing.. Although I live in Wales now I had to pay my respects to such a wonderful man...

Peace be in your heart now Jack

IanXXXX

MIurlo

Addio Jack

Post by MIurlo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:26 pm

Sono davvero dispiaciuto per morte del caro amico.
Mi chiese una cartolina dall'Italia, avrei dovuto spedirla al Forest Cafè all'attenzione di Handsome Jack, purtroppo non l'ho mai spedita.
Quando tornerò ad Edimburgo, mi mancherà il suo spirito anticonformista.
Addio Jack, mi resterai sempre nel cuore.

I can't say in english how I am sad.
Goodbye Jack.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:27 am

I can't believe we will no longer hang out over cups of tea. jack was the true forest. I'm really sad to hear this.
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:33 am

It was always nice seeing jack outside the Forest with his cup of tea. I didn't know much about him but always had a good chat with him and he always had time for people...unless they stole his seat that is!!
It also shows you the type of people that inhabit the Forest when an old guy and young'uns can call each other friends and sit and chat in comfort, and it makes me happy knowing there are people and a place where people can do this, and I'm sure jack appreciated this too.
Thanks for the chats.
Rest in peace Jack

p.s. how about putting up a mini plaque on a chair in memory. I'm sure he'd appreciate the humour.
It's like God's vagina!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:37 pm

we were thinking of putting together a wee memorial in Forest for Jack. We are not sure what but it should be special and make us all a bit weepy.

i've been having flashbacks about jack all week. for the last 7 years he always gave The Forest staff a Christmas card. He once sent back a cup of Earl Grey saying, "that's not tea."

He punched Charlie Chan!

Anyway, we will keep some space for him.

baloo

Post by baloo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:52 pm

HE PUNCHED CHARLIE CHAN!!?!?!?!?
wow.

there are too many wondefull things to say.x
up and at it.

baloo

Post by baloo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:53 pm

clearly we should rename a cup of normal tea to "the handsome Jack".
up and at it.

TheCross

Post by TheCross » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:42 pm

baloo wrote:clearly we should rename a cup of normal tea to "the handsome Jack".
I love it.

Rest in peace Jack.
xxx

graeme

Post by graeme » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:11 pm

From now on I shall serve 'Handsome Jack' rather than 'Builders' tea.
Rest in peace Jack.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:22 pm

Really sad to hear this, but handsome Jack tea makes me feel a wee bit better.

Who will bring cake for 78s now?

graeme

Post by graeme » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:39 pm

There is a small article in today's Evening News about the police trying to trace Jack's next of kin, I will bring the article in to the cafe tonight.
And it would appear that Jack was actually John Egan.

Graeme Egan

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:52 pm

you can see it here:

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinb ... 1303482007
Death sparks family appeal

POLICE today appealed for help in tracing the family of a Grassmarket man who died suddenly.

John Egan, 70, frequented the area's Forrest Cafe and other bistros, but police have been unable to contact a next of kin since his death on Monday.

It is believed he may have family in the Colinton area of the city. Police say his death is not being treated as suspicious.
the more you think, the more you stink

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:10 pm

john? really?

is it bad for jamesdanryan to write in and inform them that they spelt our name wrong?

Georgina

Post by Georgina » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:40 am

that makes me really really sad. I dont know what to say...
I've still got his book on the gangs of newyork. I'm sorry I didnt get to say goodbye.
Handsome jack tea is brilliant though, I think he'd like that

PeterCurrie

Post by PeterCurrie » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:32 pm

I feel bad. I meant to post something much sooner to express my sadness at the . he has of Jack. - A great man. Despite all his own problems, he was always a good listener and i enjoyed his company very much.

He has been a major feature in my Forest and Edinburgh life in recent years. Indeed, in the Forest's Bristo Place years, it's felt like the first sign of summer to find Jack outside with his dark glasses (and perhaps a straw hat) on!

I last chatted to him not long after my grandmother had died. He was affected by this news and gave me a comiseratory drink. I wish i could buy him a drink back...:-(.

I will join you at the funeral on Monday (assuming the boss permits-he bloody better!) to send Jack off to Forest in the sky (I hope they have enough tea!)...

PeterCurrie

Post by PeterCurrie » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:35 pm

Sorry for the typo. I obviousy mean the very sad passing of Jack...P

ravanwin

a note from manolia

Post by ravanwin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:40 pm

am very sad. i was goin to write at the forest bbq thing but as it needs passwords i couldn;t/

Jack was my favorite person to sit and smoke plastic fags and his chepo tobacco outside the forest and bitch. I shall now treasure forever the trashy broch he gave me for my birth day. I cant believe he was 70 years old. I do think he was the coolest forest person by far.

I am writing this to quote my favourite Jack-line which was at a psychedelic ceilih party at the forest where people were breaking the no-drugs rule, and Sophie Nafta was stressing out, and then Jack said to her:" This is a real party Sophie, why don;t you go home and study Law?"

i truly wish i could be at his funeral.

all my love to the forest

xx

manolia

Tajs

Post by Tajs » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:52 pm

:lol: It makes me really sad to hear the jack has passed on.... he was a good friend of mine had a lot of good conversation outside the forest enjoying our rollies and commenting on various schemes of life...i think the reason that jack never told much about his life was because he just wanted to be treated for who he where and not for how he had lived his life....
though ocationaly he told a few tales about his youth in Edinburgh...iv have attached some pictures of him from 2 years ago when i lived in Edinburgh maybe they can be used for the book your gonna put together....

gonna miss him Tajs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucky

Post by lucky » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:28 pm

Jack is one of the foundational aspects of the Forest that makes me proud to keep it going.

I was always so happy Jack knew he had a place and a community with us at The Forest, I don't know if he had much elsewhere.

Our one and only grandfather, I was humbled to be present to see him off. I'm sure he is very happy and proud to see so many Foresters, nay, good friends to turn up to his Funeral, meeting with people from the other aspects of our life. He was indeed sitting on unnumbered tales, insights and stories. My one big regret is never allowing my many questions to come off the tip of my tongue. I could always see his eyes were full of knowledge and experience. And mischief.

See you later on Jack!

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:22 pm

At the funeral Jack's sister passed around some old photos, these are the scans.

Pep Up The Turmoil