Clay ovens

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
bernie_g

Clay ovens

Post by bernie_g » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:27 pm

Unless anyone can think of a good reason why not, we'll be building a lovely great big clay pizza oven in the garden behind the forest! Fingers crossed, we'll have it started within a week and finished a couple of days after that. The neighbours will be getting notices today for their chance to object, we're also looking for
* something like 20kg of clay
* attractive bricks or stones for the outside
* any old bricks or stones for the inside
* advice
* a source of wood
* warnings of imminent disaster

Bearing in mind we're building this on the cheap, please say now if you can see a problem or can help in some way.

Cheers

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:09 pm

Although it sounds fun, I don't think this is a good idea. We probably couldn't sell the food produced in it, for hygene reasons. And even if we could, it would be a pain to go outside and make a pizza or naan. No one has time to fire it up in the morning or keep it alight. There is no room for it at the back. We will end up roasting rat droppings and woodlice, which no one wants.

If it is such a good idea, then why doesn't someone build one in their own garden first and invite us round to sample some food cooked in it?

mark

Post by mark » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:40 pm

awesome berner!

yes i am in. i got the clay too, it is that cool flymo stuff, i got it in flourescent green and yellow too. I'm not sure which will be best, but for me it is actually the green, cos although it will blend in with the nature, it will also stand out because of the flourescent ness of it.

to me the clay oven could live just outside of one of the cafe windoes, then it would solve all of 'swithun' (is that a real name? where it from friend?). i thought maybe if we bouild a metal ledge just out of the window by the record players, then it can go there, then someone can sit in the cafe and tend the fire no worries at all mate! "i just ben on holiday in oz bruce!" i i picked up there accent , cool huh? we could even burn some of that wood furniture forest keeps throwint out, that would be more eco too, cos not only is the carbon already in the carbon circle, it also was functional as furniture too!

and i know that the hygeine cannot be a problem, becuase bacteria is killed by fire, so it would all be styrene and totally safe. unless it is beef, in which case the cjd thing is immortal to fire, so cannot die, i suppose it is like the zombie of the bacteria werld or something... best to avoid beef then i guess.

when we start! i am so in.
the pen is mightier than the word

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:49 pm

I had a feeling that this was a joke, but just wanted to make sure, in case it wasn't.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:26 pm

It's not a joke, but I have a feeling the neighbours are going to hate it. And we definitely can't use the stuff in the kitchen.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:43 pm

i am now fully against this idea. maybe in sept.
r

AlexPosts

Post by AlexPosts » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:44 pm

I love it. I totally love it.

I want one in my back yard, but I need to see who 'owns' my back yard.

Bernie is learning how to make one. He will be the clay oven master of Edinburgh. All hail. I can't wait for my first vegan pizza baked in it.

A*
I am just here for business.

DON'T send this person messages for Alex. PM or whatever to the so called 'starfragment'.

baloo

Post by baloo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:39 pm

we can't have smoke in the garden(uhh...as in...bonfirey type smoke...um..)
--cast your minds back to when forest first landed and i set fire to a barrel of tar and the museum informed us that their ventalation system sucks in air just by our patch of ground and if smoke gets sucked in it sets off the sprinklers.
The sprinklers in the museum.
......................so................nat a gud idea.

Build it in my garden, however, and increase my ability to impress my mice.

Mark is SO funny.

I have his keys.
up and at it.