Waste collection during Festival

Front of House, garden etc.
swithun

Waste collection during Festival

Post by swithun » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:28 pm

I emailed LEEP a while ago about getting our recycling uplifted during the Festival. I think their reply got lost, so I phoned them to see what was happening. Here is the plan:

They can collect daily, but I thought that we could try Monday, Wednesday and Friday to start with.
They could collect in the window of 10am-noon.
They provide bags and stickers.
The cost is per bag/bundle. 1-2 is 3 pounds, 3-5 is 8 pounds and 6-15 is 15 pounds.
Cardboard, paper, plastic and cans need to be separated.
It needs to be brought up stairs, or we pay extra.

We could, for example, keep waste down stairs during the day as it accumulates. Then last thing at night, package up a suitable amount and leave it in the hall on our way out when locking up. In the morning, the first thing we do is put it outside for collection. Maybe that will be safe and a workable system.

The main bugger is that they don't do glass, which is what we will have most of, by weight at least. I've contacted a company called Viridor (?) who have Edinburgh sewn up. They will get back to me on Monday about adding us to their collection route.

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:38 pm

Oh, yes. The question is, shall we go for the 3 days a week collection to start with and see how it goes? I told them it sounded good, but would need to confirm it with y'all.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:04 pm

I didn't know we had agreed to have them uplift it?

If we have to separate it to get it ready for them, is it really much less work than taking it out ourselves? I ask as someone who has always left before festival time rolls around!

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:20 pm

Nothing is agreed yet. If we want to arrange uplifts, then I can see to it. The above is just a possible plan.

Getting the glass uplifted would save us more time, but won't know about that before Monday.

If we can enforce a strict segregation of waste in the kitchen/cafe, then perhaps it will be easy to bag it up and have it collected. I speak as someone who spent a lot of time last year going backwards and forwards to the bins, and they were closer than they are now.

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:45 am

Yes or no? I think it would be a smallish amount of money well spent. If we had 5 bags 3 times a week, it would be 100 quid for the whole month. We can hold back bags (if we have the room). There isn't any point paying for 6 bags, when we could pay for 5 and then pay for more than 6 two days later.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:02 pm

I'm alright with it, I just don't see how we're going to get it all separated. I guess we're still going to need a volunteer to go through it all and separate everything??

beev

Post by beev » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:10 pm

It just means having one bin for cans and one for plastic. We used to do this. Paper and cardboard are separate anyway, no?

My question is where do we store all this? There is nowhere downstairs we can realistically use. If we could take over Nick's little office it would probably be ideal. I don't know what else would be acceptable to the fire brigade.

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:55 pm

That room would be great. LEEP would even collect from there without any extra charge. Do we have anyone else wanting to use the room over August? Do they mind sharing?

LEEP told me that they can't take waxed paper cups. The wax fucks up their paper recycling machines, and they don't count as plastic.

About the glass collection: ARSE. The company that has Edinburgh sewn up is not taking any more clients until AFTER the Festival. Mother fucker. I can feel my back hurting already.

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:58 am

We aren't going to get recycling collected in the end, which is a bit of a shame, but can't be helped. The room we planned to store the waste in is now going to earn serious moulah, we're too late to get the glass picked up, and we aren't used to washing, sorting and compacting our waste yet.

Now that we know why this failed, we can do better next year.