We Have Run Out Of Internet

HGiles

We Have Run Out Of Internet

Post by HGiles » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:05 am

Actually it's just malfunctioning. We've been getting reports of the wifi in the café behaving oddly for the last couple of weeks, often for hours at a time. The most common problem seems that the connection shows up fine on computers, but people are only able to access a handful of sites -- Gmail, Facebook and Twitter particularly -- and aren't able to get through to any others. Sean and I tried a hard reset of the router(s) yesterday and it all started working again for about 60 seconds, before behaving strangely again. Starting to impact folk's ability to work in the building, sadly.

Any thoughts, geeks? Is anyone free to come and have a good look at it in the next few days?

neil

Re: We Have Run Out Of Internet

Post by neil » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:36 am

It only seems to work with https addresses.

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:06 pm

That explains why I'm doing OK with it, because I'm using the HTTPS Everywhere plugin.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:37 pm

I'll come in today and have a look.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

chombee

Post by chombee » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks Mike. It's quite important to get this sorted. Birgit is having to enter events into tumblr in the cafe and is hardly ever able to actually logon (not helped by tumblr itself being unreliable as well). Also I keep meeting with people in the cafe to talk about web stuff and finding we can't bring up the website to look at it. Would be great if you could fix it!
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

gaia

Post by gaia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:12 pm

neil wrote:It only seems to work with https addresses.
It's quite a recurrent problem - surely there must be a way to fix this permanently?

PS: I just heard that the router is now f*cked. Is this true? Is someone on it already? Gods of the Internet, HALP?!!1

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Yeah, basically whoever tried to "fix" the router before (possibly by attempting a hard reset) fucked the power connector in the back so now it won't even power up. :roll:

It's currently in bits on my living room table as I first attempted to repair it. Unfortunately, I struck out with the power connector, and so I am going to put an appeal out on the Forest Facebook to ask anyone who was a spare router lying around to donate it to us.

Until then, I will be lending a router to Forest, which I am currently setting up and will bring in shortly. This is a short term only because the router actually belongs to one of my flatmates, who has very kindly agreed to us having it until we can source a replacement elsewhere.

So, if anyone has a spare router and power cable, please bring it in and let me know!
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

gaia

Post by gaia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:45 pm

We love you & your flatmate.
I'll try to freecycle one!

PS: Which broadband provider are we using? I remember seeing a BT router in the freeshop.
Last edited by gaia on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chombee

Post by chombee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Surely forest can buy a new router?
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:03 pm

thanks mike.

of course the forest can buy a new one. if no free one appears .

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

mirja

Post by mirja » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:05 pm

I'm pretty sure we have a free one knocking about. I will know for sure in a couple of hours.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:12 pm

Thanks everyone.

The lack of internet has made trying to coordinate the EVS programme very difficult and complicated in an already difficult and complicated time.
I need the combination of paper files/computer files/international phone calls/banking things/internet that only exists in the office.

If for some reason the free/borrowed options aren't ready to go tomorrow morning, could we just buy something and get it set up asap?

mirja

Post by mirja » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:53 pm

ok i have a router, can bring it in. Into the office? Anybody to set it up?

Keni

Post by Keni » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Looks like I'm too late but how would a D-Link DSL-G604T, boxed with all the bits, do? A colleague has one he doesn't want
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

mirja

Post by mirja » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:23 pm

my router is Belkin N wireless. It's NOT ADSL, but for cable... whom do we have , BT? I don't know if we can use this, or Keni's one.

chombee

Post by chombee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:51 pm

If more than one router is available, keep the other(s) somewhere safe (in the office) as spares for when the next time this happens.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:22 am

We have slightly bigger problems...

Whoever tried to fix the router not only broke the router, but also seemingly the external ADSL modem as well. I don't know how, but both are fucked.

I tried my best to get something up and working today with the spare parts and my backup router but was unsuccessful.

Several people have offered routers so I'm going to start collecting them and set a couple up, so that in case one breaks, we have a spare or two that can just be plugged in and then they're ready to go.

I have picked up a few more spare parts from home and I think tomorrow morning I should be able to get an ad-hoc solution working till the donated routers arrive.
Mike

Keni

Post by Keni » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:04 pm

I now have said router sitting on my desk & will pop in with it after work.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks for the work, Mike.

The guy who tried to fix the router is the American who's been spending a lot of time in Forest in the last few days, generally being friendly and chatty and ITy. I asked him politely on Tuesday not to try messing with it, because it would be easy to break things, and that if he insisted to please put things back the way he found them. He was very resistant in that cheerfully aggressive kind of way and insisted that he knew what he was doing and that everything would be fine. I'm afraid I had to leave at that point while he was fiddling with it all, but I let Martin know about the issue and Brigid (sp?) was there as well -- not sure how he left it, but I know all the lights were off the next day.

Keni

Post by Keni » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:30 pm

"Cheerfully aggressive kind of way and insisted that he knew what he was doing and that everything would be fine." Aye, ken exactly the fellie you mean. Say no more. . .

gaia

Post by gaia » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:52 pm

HGiles wrote:Thanks for the work, Mike.

The guy who tried to fix the router is the American who's been spending a lot of time in Forest in the last few days, generally being friendly and chatty and ITy.
I still wonder how he managed to BREAK the thing just by trying to reboot it. It takes a lot of dedication :?
I'm all for letting people get involved, but damn, the Forest is not his living room :/
Are we sure it was him? He should totally buy us a new router. It's not like he doesn't get free internet every day.
*groan groan groan bitch bitch bitch*

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:00 pm

gaia wrote:Are we sure it was him?
Well he spoke to me about the router today and told me he'd had a go at fixing it, and from what he said, I think it probably was him.

He donated us a replacement router but unfortunately it wasn't too great. Kept it as a spare anyway.
Mike

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:10 pm

What's the latest with the internet situation?
I only ask as we were hoping to beam in Faith (currently in deepest, darkest Peru) via Skype.
Is this workable?
Pep Up The Turmoil

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Well, I got it up and running yesterday but apparently it has fallen over again. I suspect someone just unplugged the wrong cable. On my way to Forest shortly to try and rectify.
Mike

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:43 pm

fingerscrossed, thanks Michael.

uptherevolution x
Pep Up The Turmoil

chombee

Post by chombee » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:06 pm

What's the situation Mike?

Stevie and I tried to have a look today. Above the kitchen seems to be a router and a switch but no modem. In the spare router box is a modem and a router and a couple of power supplies, but seemingly not the right power supply for the modem (wrong voltage). In the office is another router that is plugged into the wall, but no modem there either.

So many wires, so many switches and routers and power supplies, so confused :/

I don't actually know the forest's internet login and password info to configure a modem, so I could not have gone out and bought a new one myself anyway.

Have you taken the modem away to fix?

This internet situation is seriously hampering all the really important work that people are trying to do at the Forest right now. I really think we should shell out and get a suitable new modem + router in one combo, and if additional switches are needed for the office and action room buy some decent ones of those too.

I understand that some scripts are needed on the router to stop customers from hogging all the bandwidth, but it would be more important to get wired internet and password-protected (not for customers) wifi working for us to use right now, wifi for customers can be setup later.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:27 pm

yeap if better stuff will help then we should . I cant pay the bill's, check the bank without it .

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:27 pm

chombee wrote:In the office is another router that is plugged into the wall, but no modem there either.
Look again. See the phone cable plugged into the back of it?

At the minute, the router in the office is the modem and the one in the kitchen is just an access point. If anyone unplugged any of the cables from the router in the office, that would break the net.

The solution I put in was just a stopgap until something better could be done. We've been offered a few boxed/unused router/modem combos, so I'm waiting on them arriving to set them up.

Will try and get in and check out the problems today or early tomorrow.
Mike

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:37 am

What's the internet status today? Going to be working, but'll have to work from home for a while if we're still down.

gaia

Post by gaia » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:38 am

Pretty sure it's still down. :(

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:55 pm

Fucking routers. I hate them so much.
'
See you in a bit.
Mike

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:00 pm

No no! Misinformation! The internet is working!

I came in late today because, when I phoned, people told me it wasn't working. But nobody actually checked. It seems to be fine now.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Yay!
Mike

chris

Post by chris » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:34 pm

Unfortunetly, it was very slow, and then broke completely. :(

:(

:(
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:18 am

Boo.

I'll try and make it in as early as possible.
Mike

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:33 am

is working right now wed am.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:57 am

Hmmm. Intermittent failure. That's irritating. Time to start setting up the spare router just in case.

I know it's a really basic question, but the router in the office is not getting turned off sometimes is it? That router provides the modem functionality at present, so it needs to be on if you want internet.
Mike

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:46 am

as far as I know it's not being switched off. Some NM's have been using the fuse box as light switches though, so could it happen then?

chris

Post by chris » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:09 pm

yes it could happen like that. they should definetely not be doing that.
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:14 pm

scoutwinter wrote:Some NM's have been using the fuse box as light switches though, so could it happen then?
Yes! That is a very bad thing.

This might explain how the external modem got fried (and possibly some of the damage to the old router).

Who is doing this? You should ask them to stop. Every time you trip/reset the fuse, you send a small power surge through the wiring and this can severely damage electrical equipment especially things like routers, phones, computers etc.
Mike

chombee

Post by chombee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Would a surge protector be a good idea?

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:17 pm

Probably. One with a breaker would be best, the ones without breakers (which I assume are in use at the moment, most trailbars are "surge protected" these days, right?) only dampen the surge, which is usually enough for domestic use, but probably not much good against people flicking fuses on and off.
Mike

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Internet definitely down again today; I've had to migrate to BMC to get Forest work done :-(

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:26 pm

Anyone been able to use the internet today?

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:52 am

Replacement brand new routers coming very soon, huzzah!
Mike

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:04 am

Can't wait.

AnneSof

Post by AnneSof » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:12 pm

Yeah we could put a sign on the fusebox saying "please don't use as light switches" or "please don't touch, if you do an army of trolls will follow you to your house and paint your red during your sleep".
Anyway, it might seem obvious to most people we should not use fusebox as a light switch, but I know I've done it a few times... apologize for what my ignorance might have caused, please don't send the trolls.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Yes, do it! Put up a sign...

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:38 pm

i already did that a week ago! still having trouble with the internet.

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:40 am

Is there any ETA on the new modem/router Mike?

Wireless was on and off all day today, this has been a real big problem for ages now. If it's not going to be soon I think I should get a cheap wireless modem from a shop and set it up in the meantime.

Who has the login and password and configuration details for forest's ISP? It is needed to setup a modem.