G4 iMac for action room?

neil

G4 iMac for action room?

Post by neil » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:44 pm

Just wondering if we should get another iMac for the action room. I'm planning to come & fix up pinky so he works a bit faster, but we could probably use another one with a bit more power. There's a G4 coming up on eBay tomorrow which is in Dalkeith so I could go & collect it instead of paying postage. Will probably go for less than £100. Comes with keyboard, mouse, speakers.

I could set it up with Photoshop & Open Office & shit. Would run faster than those old G3s and hopefully be more reliable than the woeful range of PCs we've been trying to utilize in there. Will also look a lot prettier :) I can't guarantee it'll work forever but if if breaks I'll do my best to get it working again. I reckon this will be (up to) £100 well spent from the BTS budget as it will be a decent working machine that will be of ongoing use in the action room. And, like the two G3s, it should be fairly dependable which is what we need at the moment.

Google 'iMac G4' if you want to see what they look like.

nix

Re: G4 iMac for action room?

Post by nix » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:40 am

Get the fucking Mac.

I hate to say it, and Apple is Evil. but those G3 machines have proved solid
A working machine for Photoshop would enhance my Forest Postermaking expiriences. I want to GIMP, but the systems are just not working.

thanks!

N/

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:44 am

i would say get it too .

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

neil

Post by neil » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:44 am

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the G4 (big, grey Powermac) we already have? This has ample power and already got Gimp installed. If we can get this set up somewhere, we shouldn't need anything else.

nix

Post by nix » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the G4 (big, grey Powermac) we already have?
the plan was to install it in the Screenprinting room (where it is hiding together with the HP flatscreen) so, they could have a stand alone graphics machine hooked up to a wee scanner/printer so silk could screen without the Action Room.

could you come in and set this up. I think we had a wee scanner/printer jobbie but it not, they are like £30. No?

Viva China!