my dream cafe jukebox

James

my dream cafe jukebox

Post by James » Thu May 29, 2008 12:42 pm

would be a pc with a hard drive full of mp3s.
It would have a web server making pages available inside the cafe LAN.

People would be able to log on and see what tune was currently playing, who the band was, and get a URL for futher info - the big problem is the cafe is you never know who is playing.

People could browse our catalogue.
If the artist had chosen to allow it, they could stream files or even download the MP3s straight to there hard drive.
artists could log in to to update the info on their page - provide links to their website, myspace, facebook, whatever, upcoming gigs, that kind of thing.

Maybe they could even pick songs to put in the play list to be played. A jukebox! But maybe managers need the facility to turn this off if they want to put certain music on.

maybe a web server would make pages outside the cafe available so people could browse out catalogue, and, if artists allow, play streamed files, or download mp3's.

I have the skills to do this (probably, I know I could do the web server bits but would have to research the web server interacting with the mp3 player bit) but sadly, not the time. I could help someone else tho ... I think this would be great.

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu May 29, 2008 1:25 pm

We were talking about this the other day, and I decided to resuscitate Radio Sysiphys (where the rock doesn't stop).

Point your browser at swithun.servebeer.com:8000 and download stream.m3u, or type in

Code: Select all

mplayer http://swithun.servebeer.com:8000/stream
you'll be rockin out with Sysiphus in no time.

It uses Icecast, an ogg streamer, which comes with a customisable web interface. I used to have an incarnation of Radio Sysiphus which allowed listeners to select songs to be inserted into the playlist. It also had a robot DJ who would introduce the songs, swear and make pollack jokes.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:47 am

this is awesome!

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:39 pm

It's been off for a few days. But it is now on all day while my desktop is on. Rock the Action Room.

Newington Bandit

Post by Newington Bandit » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:00 am

Work won't let me in... "spyware suspected", bah!
I can't really phone ICT and explain why I need to access that website though...

ChaoticReality

Re: my dream cafe jukebox

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:51 pm

James wrote:would be a pc with a hard drive full of mp3s.

STUFF STUFF STUFF STUFF

I think this would be great.

The jukebox is working again. Let's do this shit.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...