CLUB 33-45: Forest Mixtape Society

Records, publishing, shop etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jimmy Bastard

CLUB 33-45: Forest Mixtape Society

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:25 pm

Pep Up The Turmoil

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:46 pm

http://www.tapedeck.org/
I live in a mixtape.
Pep Up The Turmoil

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:00 am

Pep Up The Turmoil

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:02 am

Pep Up The Turmoil

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:53 pm

Club 33-45 Forest Mixtape Society
will take affect on Friday night June 15th
Planet of the Tapes
It will play feature as part of
Genderfuck II: The Boys Are Back In Gowns Party
(full on roaming chromosone mayhem)
Full details will be posted on Monday

I'll be posting up details of my first mixtape sharpish, please make this happen and follow suit.
Here are some links to tantalise

500 million users can't be wrong
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6634553.stm

The Ultra Hard Aesthetic
http://www.polaralert.com/exhibition/top100/index.html

Seminal giveaways on offer again
http://www.indie-mp3.co.uk/2006/02/c81-tape.html
http://www.indie-mp3.co.uk/2006/01/c86-tape.html

The Best 90 Minutes of my life
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.04/play.html?pg=3

Awesome tapes from Africa
http://awesometapesfromafrica.blogspot.com/

Tape findings and other cassette deck oddities
http://www.sweetthunder.org/tapes/

Once a week high quality digital recordings of cassette tapes purchased at the Dalston Oxfam Shop in East London.
http://dalstonoxfamshop.blogspot.com/

Download the excellent Bow Wow Wow C30 C60 C90 Go!
from the excellent
http://www.bubblegum-machine.com/week5.html

Peace and Noise
D
Pep Up The Turmoil

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:19 am

Mixtape Name:
Party Music For One
Welcome to Splitsville Population: One

'Trying to control music sharing - by shutting down P2P sites or MP3 blogs or BitTorrent or whatever other technology comes along - is like trying to control an affair of the heart. Nothing will stop it.' Mix Tape: The Art of Cassette Culture - Thurston Moore

90 minutes interchangeably to be filed under
Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance

Side One

Track 1: Rollins Band - Blues Jam
Rule one, open up with a song that can not be followed.
Henry is the undisputed king of pain management and aint no emo gonna seize sovereignty anytime soon.
He sings like he's trying to hock up raw marrow.
'Believe me when I tell you life will not break your heart..it will crush it.'
Really that should be written in capitals
'BELIEVE ME WHEN I TELL YOU LIFE WILL NOT BREAK YOUR HEART...
IT WILL CRUSH IT'
Harrow to your marrow.
file under ANGER

Track 2: Jane's Addiction Ocean Size
After the onstage implosion and inevitable split of Jane's Addiction, it was rumoured that guitarist Dave Navarro recorded a solo record. On completion he nailed the master copy safe in a wooden box and refered to the unreleased album as 'My Pain'.
A dignification to aim for.
In absentia I offer up Ocean Size

'I was made with a heart of stone
to be broken
with one hard blow
i've seen the ocean
break on the shore
come together with no harm done'
File Under: Acceptance

Track 3: Elvis Costello I Want You
A song detailing the persuasion of obsession.
Unhealthy, proper sinister and every uttered ugly inch real.
File Under: Bargaining

Track 4: Neil Halstead Hi and Lo and Inbetween
Just fucking lovely.

'One day it snowed I guess and they closed the road in to your heart'

'Years ago you sent a postcard it's the one that always made me laugh/it said send for reinforcements because there's too much here for me to love'

In the second verse while still allowing the title its metaphor he touches on a true story of a man who tied helium balloons to a deck chair and exacted for the stratosphere.
Such was the song's gravity that I further researched the story, a few years along he wound up taking his own life by trigger.
File Under:Depression, Acceptance

Track 5: New Model Army Marrakesh
So far I feel the tape suffers on account of being too literal. This offers up some lateral and latitude too lyrically switching from Africa and back to Blighty.
As a rule New Model Army are blatantly unhip with songtitles like 'Here Comes The War' or 'I Love The World'.
You can't choose who you fall in love with and indeed I love them.
This though, I feel carries universal class
'I was born alone and lucky/And I´ve just used to it that way/My dice still roll in sixesAnd yours still turn up ones/And I have taken my good fortune/
And I´ve run and run'
File Under: Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance

Track 6: Dr Dre Bitches Aint Shit
Maybe I've been freighting too heavy on melancholy, lacking levity, Ben Folds covered this across similar lines of which Veruca Salt's Nina Gordon interpreted Straight Outta Compton. It has its place but just now the original is more carthartic.
File Under Denial, Anger

Track 7: Wreckless Eric Whole Wide World
1: 6,602,224,17 against all odds
File Under Denial Acceptance

Track 8: Phil Collins Against All Odds
Just because.
File under: Defiled, Unacceptable

Track 9: Shangri-Las Past Present And Future
Moving, unnerving, Spector-esque girl-group spoken-wonderful - to borrow a literary title 'A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius'
Reached no. fuck all in charts
'Take a walk along the beach tonight?/ I'd love to,
But don't try to touch me, don't try to touch me/
Cos that will never happen again.'
File Under: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance

For the continuation of this message please turn over this cassette...
Pep Up The Turmoil

swithun
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby swithun » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:37 pm

Mixtape 1 side 1

MC Hawking - Rock out with the Hawk
A quality bit of nerdcore rap. This guy even uses a speech synthesiser like Wheels does. Other rappers in the genre are more into computers, but Hawking is a straight up physicist. There is some debate as to the reality of this guy though: 'Wikipedia calls me a fictional rapper/See how fictional I feel with my foot up your crapper/I'll shoot you in the face/Leave you bleeding in the grass/You heard me punk/I'm going Cheney on your ass'.

Hayseed Dixie - Highway to Hello
You really can't go wrong with this.

Blues Explosion - World of sex
Some early JSBX - Jon Spencer felating the mic with his usual gusto between yelps. You will need a shower after listening.

ZZ Top - Cheap sunglasses
Everyone loves to boogie, and not just on a Saturday night. And no one boogies like the boys from Texas. She had a west coast strut that was sweet as molasses, but what really knocked me out were the cheap sunglasses. Mmhmm.

Gene Vincent - Jezebel
This one came from Ryan's collection. Some of Vincent's stuff is faster, but this has a menacing edge you don't often hear. It is from the soundtrack to a lost David Lynch film.

Legendary Shack Shakers - Red Blood on the Blue Grass
From an earlier acoustic incarnation. But the lyrics still capture the dark side of the South. With his claw hammer high/He drew the spirits nigh/And danced amid the crimson spray. Play dat harp boy.

Who - Won't get fooled again
There aren't many Who songs I like, but this one isn't bad. It reminds me of later MC5 stuff.

King Missile - Up my ass
For a few years, King Missile got played at every party I went to. And they were good parties. I could have chosen 'Jesus was way cool' or 'I am a sensitive artist', but in the end I chose Up my ass'. A dildo/Strapped on to a manequin/Wearing a Nixon mask/Up my ass. This is an angry song.

Die Prinzen - Kussen verboten
It is hard to find a German who isn't embarrassed by these fresh faced Leipzig doowappers. Reason enough to include it.

Funky 4 + 1 - The Joint
Having invented hiphop, Jazzy Jeff threw it all away and ended up being ejected from Will Smith's uncle's house on a regular basis. Maybe he was trying to shake the room.

Jonathan Richman - I was dancing in a Lesbian Bar
The only pop song to use the phrase 'laissez faire', I bet. I managed to sneak this one into the playlist of my mum's 60th birthday bash.

Mixtape 1 side 2

Dick Dale - Bustin surfboards (I think)
Even if all surf tunes sound the same, they are all good.

Nine Inch Nails - Head like a hole
Another favourite from my undergraduate days. I don't know any other songs from them, and I probably don't want to. But this one is very catchy.

Nick Cave - Stagger Lee
Everyone remembers the first time they heard this one. Stagger Lee was a real person - some bad ass hoodlum who killed someone over a hat and was involved in local politics (like lots of hoodlums). But Nick Cave brought the story forward 50 years or so and gave it a homoerotic twist.

Prince Far I - Throw away your gun dub
I heard some of the best dub when I was being driven round in a minibus taxi in Barbados. I've no idea who it was. But Prince Far I comes close. It isn't often you can give it enough bass and volume to do it justice.

Stooges - 1969
The first time I heard the Stooges I was scared. The delay and the beats were designed to disturb. Now you can watch Iggy covering himself with peanut butter on Youtube, and they play I wanna be your Dog at aerobics classes. But that was then and this is now.

Serge Gainsbourg - New York USA
A song about all the sky scrapers in New York. Just percussion and voices and a long list of buildings. The best songs about places are written by people who have never been there.

Clint Eastwood and General Saint - Talk about run
Clint Eastwood started the craze of saying riddly didly dee (or was that Ned Flanders?). A deadpan song about being chased by zombies. Mmmh/I can understand/You are a nice young man/But you are not to be blamed/For when I was alive I was just the same.

Amboy Dukes - Baby please don't go
This version rocks that little bit more than the version by Van the man's Them. Not surprising with Ted 'The Atrocious Theodocious' Nugent on guitar. Now there is a Celebrity Death Match.

Sugarbabes - Freak
Even the worst bands can make a mistake and release a good song. The Gary Newman sample helps.

MC5 - Over and Over
Bobby Gillespie nabbed Sister Anne, so I'll have to settle for the other great song from High Time. Compare this to the Who's entry on the other side. Did anyone else see the Friends episode where Rachel is wearing a MC5 teeshirt? I almost spat my dinner over the TV.

Captain Beefheart - Electricity
This dude had the vocal range of a piano and could shatter glass. He did go a bit weird (I may be hungry but I sure aint weird) in the 70s, but the early RnB stuff can't be beat. I went to see an exhibition of his paintings in Brighton one day and ate a loaf of chola and an onion on the beach.

Ramones - Chainsaw
Johnny and Joey didn't speak to each other for 15 years, because Joey took Johnny's girl. The song KKK took my baby away is a reference to Joey's rightwing views. In this song, it is just the Texas Chainsaw Massacre that takes his baby away.

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:03 pm

Pep Up The Turmoil

martinmckenna

Postby martinmckenna » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:09 pm

cool links , thanks

Return to “Make/Sell”