Huge mess left in Bristo Hall after a play on Wed, March 23r

Action room, screen printing, darkroom, Bristo Hall, Cave, AV equipment
AnneSof

Huge mess left in Bristo Hall after a play on Wed, March 23r

Post by AnneSof » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi there!

This isn't going to be a massive rant or anything, but I thought I'd report the situation.

Some folks booked the Bristo Hall on Wednesday (23rd march) and performed a play, "School for Scandal", from 7 til 10ish.
It all went well and I think it's great to have theater in the Forest, but apparently the crew+audience decided to have a little party once the performance was over... which is fair enough, but they left a massive mess and didn't bother clean it up.

Basically, it seems there was no event manager, since it wasn't actually a party or gig, and I assume that whoever booked the hall didn't specify they'd like to have a party once the play over.
Also, they were drinking but there were no event manager so it was almost impossible to check under age drinkers (all of them were in their twenties luckily but you got the point). They were also smoking, which could have gotten us into trouble as it's against the law.
They didn't pay any deposit either, so obviously they didn't give a monkey about the state they left the hall in (broken glass, tons of empty bottles, take away food boxes... took forest folks 2 hours to clean).

So, PLEASE, when hall is booked, could you make sure you have a MINIMUM of details about the night, get an event manager if needed, if there isn't any AT LEAST communicate info to the night manager downstairs? And I don't understand why those guys didn't pay a deposit... by the time I went up there (it was Golden Hour in the cafe) the hall already stank of tobacco and there was broken glass on the floor, they didn't seem to know about who was event manager, they didn't seem to care much either... shouldn't it be the responsibility to the person in charge of the Hall bookings to check all of that with whoever's booking Bristo Hall?

The play crew and their mates nicely stopped smoking and nicely left soon after I went to talk to them. So either they were very, very careless, either they were given no instructions at all when they booked the hall... I'm going to sound boring and annoying but it looks to me like a total lack of responsibility and organisation, sure it's a pain having to check all the details with the artists or people wanting to book, and ask for deposit, but there's got to be a reason why we do that, no? I'd be happy to hear from whoever secured the booking or anyone who was here that night, as this is only my point of view.

Cheers.

AS

ChaoticReality

Re: Huge mess left in Bristo Hall after a play on Wed, March

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:08 pm

AnneSof wrote:I'd be happy to hear from whoever secured the booking
As far as I know, sole responsibility for room bookings currently lies with the Building Manager, Chris.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

chris

Post by chris » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 am

yes, my bad!

Who'd have thought theatre organisers could be such a disruley and troublesome bunch! I thought they were a civilised lot.. In future I will of course be charging the theatre people large deposits.
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:49 pm

I'm afraid student theatre types, in my experience (of having been one), have a tendency to be pretty over-exuberant and unthinking/irresponsible.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:42 pm

Yes, well I suppose the point of having deposits is you never know who will be unruly or troublesome.

I would suggest that the person who took the booking (Chris I assume) should be in touch to officially say how not on their behaviour was. Really -- smoking inside? That's bullshit. If they can't get that they shouldn't be allowed to use the space again.

AnneSof

Post by AnneSof » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Yeah Harry^^ they were pretty exhuberant... which is why we charge desposits right? As Shannon said you can't who's going to be unruly or troublesome^^

I know the building manager is the person in charge of the hall booking and I know this means Chris. I just didn't want to give any name before the person concerned was given a chance to reply, I wanted to avoid sounding like this was personal or like I was patronising the building manager by reminding him about such basic things like deposits ...

It would be great if this didn't happen again.

AS