decor

bill

decor

Post by bill » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:54 am

the new seating area in the in zone 3 (see fire manual) shall be stained blue then varnished by popular opinion. bagsy not brown. this is a FOH issue not a theatre issue as the festival theatre crew don't want to use it.

fuck you all

James

Post by James » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:36 pm

Since when don't we want to use it?

I have talked to Debbie about this, and us theatre people agree that it should be a matching brown to blend into the walls and floor. (antique pine is the exact one according to chris). We both like the hall as it is, and we feel having a blue stagey thing would stick out like a sore thumb.

I feel (I haven't talked to Debbie about this) that doing art upstairs sounds great, but lets do it properly - if artists want to do something that fits into the hall let them go through the Visual Arts group and we'll sort stuff.

I will be at the VA meeting tonight, we can discuss this there and on this thread ...

bill

Post by bill » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:37 pm

since debbie said they didn't want a stage. i would like to stress that the hall is not soley for the use of the theatre group, the stage blocks pretty much are. my thumbs are sore from all the things i have been doing there. a blue stage is nothing compared to the permenent homage to cruise i installed.

personally i feel that space is going to be full of distracting features and that is good. and does effect good theatre. if people are distracted by the colour of a seating area then we are in trouble.

james - does debbie use the bb? mightbe good if she did to aid communications with her?

peace out suckers!

bill

Post by bill » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:38 pm

i meant doesn't effect good theatre.

bill

Post by bill » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:41 pm

also its important upstairs doesn't look shit boring. i think that not all art in forest has to go through vast wg meetings unless its major/semi permenent/costly.......my art is uncontrolable and a deep wast of resources and time. in the next while this shall be pepped up

chris

Post by chris » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:38 pm

strongly agree with bill on this one. it would be very tediuos for it to blend in with the room. and when i spoke to debbie and sent her photos of the hall she was extremely clear that she want the room as a studio space, none of the theatre groups were expecting a stage, or wanted it.. so i think of it merely as a raised step to cover the radiators, in which case blue is the clear colour choice.
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

chris

Post by chris » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:43 pm

this may well be a contender for forest working group, as it seems like we may stuggle to reach a concensus on this one.

i know for a fact that bill will block any colour but staining it blue...
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

emily

Post by emily » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:46 pm

greatest respect for bill and chris but my own feeling is that the hall should be altered as little as possible (bar improvements of what's already there) if there is any notion of it being kept open to local groups not already connected to the forest community.

i reckon that if the downstairs decor is extended upstairs, in whatever way, a bunch of groups who really enjoy using the hall will no longer find it as appealing as they do right now. i guess i think it would be sort of selfish for the forest to preclude people like the tango dancers from enjoying the space. there is an opportunity for the forest to make this space into a really useful community resource - one which central edinburgh definitely lacks - and i think it would be a great shame if that opportunity were missed.

in response to bill's point about distraction, i would say that i feel that groups hiring a space ought to be able to determine for themselves how the space will affect its occupants. perhaps think of it like a gallery? you wouldn't paint a mural on a section of the downstairs gallery and tell artists that's the way it comes.

perhaps i have failed to grasp the forest's plans for the space (i'm just going on a brief convo with chris the other day) but my understanding of the forest's ethos is that it would like to see itself as a community center as much as an arts space. i think that's one of the most admirable aspects of the forest project and i think this extension of the forest home is a great chance to develop it.

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:03 pm

This is a bit like people debating about Frank Geary's design of the Guggenheim in Bilbao. Is the building overshadowing the art, or does only bad art have to worry? From what I've seen, I think the cool architecture works.

But the hall upstairs has 1001 potential uses, so should be as utilitarian as possible, so that it is equally easy for all users to adapt it temporarily to their needs.

Plus, it isn't going to be a supervised space, so its not as if we could have any art worth nicking, i.e. good art, up there.

beev

Post by beev » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:09 pm

I'm not going to have time this week to do any wood staining, as I suggested I might.