Fundraising Ideas

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
HGiles

Fundraising Ideas

Post by HGiles » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:49 am

Hallo everyone,

There's a big letter about HOW TO SAVE FOREST at http://blog.theforest.org.uk/post/95827 ... rom-forest

One of the things we need people to do is run fundraisers for us. Not just events, but also cycle marathons to dance parties to buy-a-square-inch artworks to street corner bucket shaking. We will be running events ourselves, but really need lots of our supporters to seize the initiative and run their own fundraising ideas.

One thing someone suggested at the public meeting was finding 50 Forest champions to raise 1000 pounds each. Does that sound like it could be you?

People have also suggested reaching out to other arts and social centres to help with communication and support and maybe even events. Do you have links here you could pursue?

Whatever your idea, post it here! And what we really want is for people to say "Yes! I am organising this now!"

:-)

boletes

Re: Fundraising Ideas

Post by boletes » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:47 pm

We could have a car boot sale with a bunch of donated stuff?

Keni

Post by Keni » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:07 pm

We're running the Free Shop on Bristo Place & accepting cash donations. I'd also like to think we can do sonething more ambitious & fun than a car boot sale.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Keni wrote:We're running the Free Shop on Bristo Place & accepting cash donations. I'd also like to think we can do sonething more ambitious & fun than a car boot sale.
cabaret car boot sale?
only when the clock stops does time come to life

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:59 am

Any takers for this?
> > Hi,
> >
> > After yesterday's open meeting, in which one of the points raised was
> > offering incentives for those who donated to the Buy-the-Forest fund, an
> > idea occurred to me of how we could encourage people to donate as well as
> > giving them a tangible reward.
> >
> > I remember reading about a student who set up a web page and sold
> > advertising space on it by the pixel. Would a more hands-on version of this
> > be appropriate for the Forest? The idea that came to mind was to buy a large
> > sheet of graph paper - I don't know offhand how large it can be bought - and
> > allow people to draw whatever they wanted on it for a penny per millimetre
> > square (probably more convenient to sell as £1/cm^2). The finished 'artwork'
> > could then be displayed in the re-opened Forest as a tribute to those who
> > contributed to its purchase, encouraging people to come and look, both to
> > find their bit and to see what others drew. Overall, this method would be
> > able to raise £10000 per square metre sold, although the margins of the
> > paper would increase the display space slightly.
> >
> > A quick search finds A1 graph paper available for about £1.50/sheet, with a
> > usable area of 4480 cm^2 per sheet. I don't know how that compares to what
> > local suppliers can offer, but I'll try to have a look. Some suppliers may
> > even be willing to donate the paper in exchange for the appropriate amount
> > of art space, which would cut down on up-front costs (although it would be
> > offset by not being able to sell that space later).
> >
> > Hope this is useful.
> That sounds like a lovely idea! At the moment Forest doesn't have a
> place to house it, but could certainly guarantee to display it when we
> getour home back. Is this something you'd be interested in
> co-ordinating yourself?
I'm not sure that I could commit to co-ordinating this project myself: I'm just about to start my final year at university, which should really take priority. I'd be happy to help when I could, but this sort of crowd-sourcing would probably need someone who could take it to as many different locations and people as possible.

I had a look in Ryman's, and while they didn't have any very large sheets of graph paper they did have pads of 40 A3 sheets for £8 (= 20p/sheet; 80p/A1-area). If we don't mind a bit of work to put the finished sheets together, this would probably be easier to work with than a single large sheet: more easily portable, easier to reach the entire sheet, and more easily split to allow multiple artists or even multiple locations at a time.

Keni

Post by Keni » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:48 am

Sounds like a good idea but sadly I can't help co-ordinate it. Hopefully after a few days rest someone will step forward to take it on.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:20 pm

really good idea Harry :)

i had 2 ideas for £ and hopefully keeping the whole foresty spirit going;

we keep having workshops, but have a suggested donation of £5-10] (still pay if you can but...)
there are plenty of things we can do outside of bristo...
i have loads of stuff i'd like to do, but would want others to come and help and publicise.

I know we're still doing events, we should try and do some non traditional venue events

ex- there was talk about the quarry for a party... maybe we could follow up on that

we could do some art camping... like a mini burning man type thing - less music festival (still have music of course) but more cool interactive art/ sculptures and have the tickets go to the buy bristo fund. There are plenty of places we could do something like that- keep it over a long weekend. Maybe in Oct?

I would be into helping organize these things, but would clearly need help from a few dedicated...
xox
love you all.
wet, dirty and dangerous.