Register to Vote!

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Keni

Register to Vote!

Post by Keni » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:05 pm

The Scottish General Election is on Thursday 5th May. Don’t worry if you didn’t realise this, it is news to most people. On that same day, the UK will probably get the chance to vote on whether to move to the Alternative Vote system for electing MPs to Westminster instead of the current First Past The Post.

What does this have to do with you? Well, if you are over 18 on that date and are any of the following, you can cast your judgement in both plebiscites.

• British Subjects
• From a Commonwealth Country
• Republic Of Ireland Citizens

However, if you are a citizen of another European Union country, you can only vote in the Scottish Parliament election. To make life easier for you, you can even vote from home. Wow, how easy is that?

For more information on how to vote, go to the Lothian Valuation Joint Board’s website, http://www.lothian-vjb.gov.uk/downloads.html.
I’m happy to provide more information on the Scottish General Election, devolution and the like, so just ask. If you want to know more about the proposed change to the Westminster voting system, got to the Yes to Fairer Votes website, http://www.yestofairervotes.org.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

Keni

Re: Register to Vote!

Post by Keni » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Did you know that Scotland elects 129 MSPs? Of these, 73 are elected to represent constituency through First Past the Post. The remaining 56 MSPs are elected by an Additional Members System to represent the eight parliamentary regions, seven for each one.

The Lothians region has nine constituencies. That means you could effect the result for at least have eight politicians who make decisions over your life. That's worth registering and voting on Thursday 5th May. Isn't it? http://www.lothian-vjb.gov.uk/downloads.html
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if they were talking about mixed-member proportional for the whole UK instead of this weak AV nonsense??

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:57 pm

i thought you guys are anarchists!?!?
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

Keni

Post by Keni » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:19 am

I couldn't agree with you more Shannon, STV for the Commons is my preferred choice. Having said that, I'd rather have AV than FPTP. A step forward is still a step forward, even if it is a timid one.

Thehemulen, to me an anarchist is somebody who wants a social system based on voluntary co-operation above everything else. Doesn't that sound like the Forest? Also, there are also different types and degrees of anarchism. I would say that I am on the libertarian end.

neil

Post by neil » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:08 am

Wow - a serious, considered post on the subject of politics. A first for the bb!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:05 pm

Yes, alternative vote is better than first past the post, just like direct democracy would be better than 'representative' democracy!

I guess you're talking about multi-winner single transferable vote? Single-winner STV really isn't proportional enough for my liking.

Are multi-seat constituencies really feasible everywhere in the UK -- if a desired outcome is to ensure MPs are really linked (and responsive!) to a geographical constituency? My electoral geekery stems from Canuckistan days and with the way population is spread out there, the district size needed in many places wouldn't allow a real connection between geographical place and the representative.

Ahem.

Keni

Post by Keni » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:17 am

Apologies, yes multi-winner STV if the best. I don't see why multi-seat constituencies are not feasible throughout the UK. If you use the regions concept that Holyrood has, why not? OK, that's AMS but I see no reason why you can't combine a multi-member areas. You could use old county boundaries perhaps.

The 2007 Scottish local elections were a success, apart from the bloody counting machines, so I don't see why the rest of the UK couldn't adapt. Ambitious yes, but if you don't aim for something you'll never achieve.

Remember Shannon, as a Canuck you are eligible to vote in the Scottish General Election & the Referendum. Subtle, aren't I?

mirja

Post by mirja » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:35 am

Hi guys, you want to run a little pre-election workshop,
this all is a bit alien to me and it should not be,
but it's a sad state of affairs. There are a lot of foreign born + just busy people who
might like to brush up on how the big machine here works, or could work - where's the crack in it for people power.
I'd be the first so sign in.

preoccupation

Post by preoccupation » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:11 pm

If interested to see PR in action, could do worse than visit

www.irishtimes.com People voting in Ireland today. The following is an extract from an article yesterday's paper

"But it is far more accurately reflective of popular feeling than the British first-past-the-post system. Not least among its virtues is the vital sense of ownership of TDs by voters that arises from the reality that most voters will actually see their first preference candidate elected.

In the 2007 Scottish STV local elections, for example, 74 per cent of voters elected their first-choice candidate; while in 2005, not untypically, two-thirds of MPs returned to Westminster did not have majority support from local voters."

I'll be glued to count and results all day tomorrow hoping for a fresh start - genuine - in my country.

Best

CJ

Keni

Post by Keni » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:59 pm

Happy to run a pre-election workshop if there are enough people to attend. What sort of things would people want? I can give a quick tour on how we got to the reconvened Parly, what powers are devolved, how Holyrood works, et cetera. Is a demand though? If it is just a few folk happy to spend an afternoon discussing it over a decent pot of tea.

mirja

Post by mirja » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:30 pm

sounds good, as said, count me in!

Keni

Post by Keni » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:33 pm

5th May Election Deadlines

Thursday 14 April (5pm) - Last date for Postal Voting Applications
Friday 15 April - Last date to apply to Register to Vote
Thursday 21 April - Last date for Proxy Voting Applications