Forest Computer Day!

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
nix

Forest Computer Day!

Post by nix » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Right then!

We are having some issues. We have 3 Linux machines in the action room that have serious issues. These need fixed.

We have 2 (potentioly more) Sun machines (I think they have Ubuntu installed)

There is the problem with the Jukebox Laptop ..

can you help? you got computer skills?

PLEASE!

We need to organise a Forest Computer Day soon. Do you want to get the ball rolling on this?

LETS GET DIGITAL.

thanks!

N.

milk

Re: Forest Computer Day!

Post by milk » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:32 am

i've a Beltane friend, Adam, who says he's interested in trying to get the Action Room machines working.

he advised that, in the default install, there are two partitions created - one for the OS, the other for data. if whoever installed the machines didn't change this, then it should apparently be a breeze to fix by reinstalling. if not, then, well, while there's a load of crap on these machines, there are documents relating to Forest organisation, promo and more that would be great to keep a copy of - saving these would be fantastic, possibly using the jukebox hard drive as a temporary home for such files.

can anyone confirm the partition situation on the machines? thanks.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

chombee

Post by chombee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:38 pm

That's not true about the default install of Ubuntu, by default it puts both the OS and the homedirs on one big partition. It's a very good idea to choose to put them on separate partitions instead. No idea how our machines are partitioned but Adam should be able to find out very easily, just boot something and take a look. I think we should definitely let Adam go crazy on all our PCs.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:22 pm

AFAIK, all the action room machines have two partitions, a big one for OS&Data and a small one for Swap (different format). This is the Ubuntu default.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...