Plant and seed society

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
isabelle

Plant and seed society

Post by isabelle » Sun May 08, 2005 11:23 pm

Hi, I was thinking of starting a Plant and Seed society - Edinburgh Uni- and have the based at the foret Cafe.

I thought the society can hold workshops on seeds germinating, plant propagation, taking cuttings, potting up plants, etc...

Maybe our first project can start by making the forest green and tackling the garden? Also how to keep your flat green and maybe eventually promote window boxes and plants in Edinburgh.

What would the people in forest think of this idea? Also would anyone be interested to join??

beev

Post by beev » Sat May 21, 2005 5:52 pm

Plant & sees society sounds good & there's no reason why it shouldn't meet up in the forest. Workshops are also a good idea. The forest can be used to run your own workshop.

As for "making the forest green and tackling the garden" -- these things are already being done. If you want to help, there is usually recycling to be done - that's a good way to start.

cheers
Neil

Andrea

Post by Andrea » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:30 pm

Hi!

I like the plant and seed society idea, and my contribution/suggestion would be to make the back garden actually into a winter garden, speak to build a greenhouse or polytunnel to extend the season and have room for hanging out and plant propagation, sanctuary for suffering Forest cafe plants, herbs etc. whatever you wish...
I will be back to realise the project (if agreed by the commitee and possibly the Settlement) in September, until then, if you want to use the garden for propagation in the meantime etc. feel wellcome. We have heaps of plant pots, compost is coming along slowly. There are seeds in the filing cabinet in the Forest garden file to be used, flowers, herbs, radish etc.
If you find any beautiful flowers getting into seed, please collect the seeds so we can propagate them.

love,
Andrea

PS: for isabelle
I found a papyrus plant and am in the process of letting it develop roots, when ready You can have it. they grow beautiful and enormous.