GIANT VOLUNTEER MEETING AGENDA

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
lucky

GIANT VOLUNTEER MEETING AGENDA

Post by lucky » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:06 pm

Hey vollies!

So, hopefully you've seen we're gonna have a big volunteer meeting on Sat 24th at 5pm in the Forest.

We wanna chat about what working groups are all about. Maybe we can talk about more stuff? Who knows!

We would like you to post here suggestions for the agenda. I really hope this will be a well attended meeting. It's gonna be big, maybe some amazing stuff will come out of it or maybe we'll end up taling about pants.

Let's just see. What do you wanna talk about with the rest of the Forest?

Cheers. Make it good,

Alex*
Bohnenflaschen!

lucky

Post by lucky » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:23 pm

I'm pretty serious about this. It's gotta be big or I'm starting to give up hope that people still care about the space we've created. I'm finding every Saturday when I'm Kitchen Managing I'm having to mail people about signing up for shifts.

I hope everyone remembers the space is volunteer run. I know myself I do my Managing shift, but I also contribute to going to meetings and sorting stuff out, I'm doing volunteering shifts this week which I havn't been so good at doing recently, but it's getting a but concerning for me that there's so many empty spaces.

If you use the space, contribute to it. And PLEASE contribute to this giant meeting. Come along. Say what you need to, want to. Contribute to this space which you are providing for yourself.

It's pretty special. We're all pretty amazing for keeping it up.

Alex*
Bohnenflaschen!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:13 pm

point one:
volunteer drought and how to combat it.

team morale / spirit (the forest cheerleading squad)

intra-mural sporting activities for the Summer (Forest v. Starbucks in a game of ultimate frisbee? anyone, anyone!)

volunteer parties / happenings / dada / blenders and other big events we can collectively get excited about and feel the power of the forest with

PS:
I, like alex, have been stressed about the volunteer drought and hope more people will sign up for night shifts. i, myself, have done the past couple of fridays and would welcome anyone shy of doing a night shift to join me in drinking behind the counter as it's the best place to be.

beev

Post by beev » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:05 pm

Sorry, won't make the meeting. But I was thinking maybe we could use a vollie co-ordinator who can come in every Sunday or Monday and call people to fill in empty shifts on the rota. It's mibbe no such a nice job, but I'm sure there must be someone who's willing to do it...

chombee

Post by chombee » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:11 pm

I'll try to start doing some nights shifts I think.

What else did we say we needed to talk about in this big meeting? I think there was some stuff to do with volunteer training, secret fairy-light signals, and mainly letting people know about the working groups and that there's more to do at the forest than work in the kitchen.

We said that working groups should try to have at least one open, advertised and scheduled-in-advance meeting per month. Like they should pick a day of the month and have a meeting that they try to encourage new people to come to every month on that day
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:23 pm

people: can't make the meeting till 6pm. sorry but see you then!
r

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:24 pm

ps: what's up with the after vollie party? i think there is nothing planned at all!? anyone?

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:49 pm

If there is nothing planned, I'll man the ones and twos for a couple of hours. Rock on.

swithun

Minutes

Post by swithun » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:33 pm

Present: Alex, Sean, Shannon, Grame, Pomme, Nick B, Bill, Nill, Mike, Gonzalo, Caroline, Natasha, James, Rika, Nick, Uche, Beinta, Kim, Sergio, Ryan
Apologies: Ras
Facilitator: Bill
Chair: Alex

Alex introduced and explained the purpose of the meeting. Shannon explained the meeting procedure - job of facilitator, hand signals etc.

Volunteer drought
There is often a lack of volunteers, which results in more work for the volunteers who do shifts and sometimes the early closing of the cafe.
This is weird when there is lots of publicity. How can the publicity be improved?
Alex knows that Saturdays are bad. Shannon says days are good, but evenings are bad - a perpetuating problem, as people who work on their own are then less likely to sign up again.
Nill says that when he has been in, evenings are bad.
Alex will do questionnaire for people to fill out
Bill asked if a questionnaire is best use of time? A meeting might be better.
Alex replied that a questionnaire can be done in ones own time, in private, with more clarity than at meeting.
Nill wondered if this can be confidential? People should be able to choose whether to be anonymous or identify themselves.
Alex said that he found it intimidating when he started volunteering. Why was this?
Shannon has seen similar places, but the Forest is only place open 7 days, 10am to midnight. We have many more volunteers than other places.
Alex observed that when things go wrong, you forget how great things are usually. The Forest has been catylist for many other things.
Sean said that the volunteer shortage is uneven - certain days/times.
Bill pointed out that people sign up at same time as other people. One person per box would be better, so that there was a more even spread of volunteers and people didn't end up twiddling their thumbs.
Nill replied that it can be reassuring to work at same time as others. There is not often
nothing to do.
Natasha wondered if the sign up sheet could be visible on web?
Nick B replied that this would be hard to synchronise.
Alex said the we could explain the rota online, and how to sign up/phone in.

Team morale
How could the morale of the volunteers be raised? Maybe by holding more parties and events for the volunteers.
Bill suggested paint balling, in the cafe.
Nick wanted to encourage friendliness, and tea drinking after your shift.
Pomme said that playing boardgames would be fun.
Bill and Shannon suggested holding a Sunday charity meal, where people bring their own food to share and make a donation to a charity.
Sean said this would combine fundraising with morale boosting.
Shannon wondered how this would fit with Forest not charging/charity type status?
Nick said that if this was for one meal then wouldnt take much from Forest budget.
Shannon announced the party tonight.
NickB and Nill prefer quieter parties. Could the Forest throw something other than a loud boozeup?
Shannon said that parties can have a budget, which can be spent on things other than drink.
Caroline observed that Forest is too loud sometimes, which puts people off.
Nick said that you can changed the music, make it quieter if you think it is wrong.
Alex said that the Forest is our space, so you should feel comfortable asking to change things.

Night shifts - responsibilities and power]
Alex said that ight managers (NMs) have power. They can close up when they want, ask people to leave. You get to say what happens on your shift.
Bill thought the Forest should explain the role of the NM in contract.
Shannon said that the NM role was created to handle responsibility of closing up etc. Kitchen managers (KMs) decide who has the experience to become a NM, but not a privilege.
Nill observed that sometimes there are lots of volunteers but no NM.
NickB said that nights work better now we have NMs. He has no problem closing up early
when understaffed. Customers don't always respect the staff enough.
Sean thought that there should be a contract for NMs and have nights for training new NMs.
Alex reminded people that KMs will do NM shifts for training, learning, fun.
Nill said there should be a written job description.
Sean said that often a day manager will do stuff when he is NMing, and he doesn't get the opportunity to learn how to do things himself.
Grame said that Friday nights are too busy for 1 NM - events, security. Event people should be responsible for their stuff, and not expect NM/forest staff to help!!!
Rika reckoned that NMs should do a shift every 2 weeks or so.
Alex said that the kitchen work was hard enough but people ask you to do other things too, like how to operate the AV equipment.
Shannon said that the Events Working Group (WG) is understaffed, while it should have lots of people as this is the whole point of the Forest. People who are interested should contact Dai.
Nick expressed an interest in this.

Working Groups (WGs)
WGs - what are they?
The Forest used to have committee which controlled everything, but then it was decided to open up decision making to everyone who uses the Forest. There are WGs for every facet of the Forest. They have meetings roughly once a month. It seems that not many people know about them. Not as many people turn up as should. Do people feel intimidated, or think they lack skills?
Sean wanted it known that this was a new system, which may need to be tweaked. It is not set in stone.
Sean and Shannon explained the idea of moderators (mods)/bottom liners. They are people who take on responsibilities in the WGs. When the WGs were set up, the old Forest committee became mods, but anyone can be a moderator if they want to do the work and go to the meetings.
Sean thought it would be good to have a fixed day of month for WG meetings, so you would always know when the meetings were.
Nick B said that WGs need to be independent of any one person.
Alex abd Bill thought that the WGs should get some training on how to hold meetings so that they are more useful.
Caroline observed that there are just a few pieces of paper on board explaining the WGs If there was something on each table, then people would read it.
Nick suggested using laminated paper, and wants to help.
Bill said that he signed a contract when he started. This doesn't happen anymore. It could be done when people first sign up, so new volunteers learn about the Forest.
Shannon said that one WG is for volunteering. Does anyone want to be new Volunteer WG mod?
Alex wants to help, but not be mod. Bill and Grame too. They will have a meeting after this one.
Beinta asked what the Volunteer WG was?
Shannon read the Volunteer WG mission statement. The Volunteer WG mod tries to get people to turn up, phone people when there isn't anyone down for a shift.
Alex explained that people can change the WG mission statements if they have a better suggestion.
Alex said that there are big differences in capabilities among the volunteers - kitchen/cafe skills, language problems. There is a lot to explain in a short time when people start.
Nick B suggested having a hard copy leaflet explaining what WGs have been doing/going to do.
Bill thought this could be put on back of events poster. He will remind WGs that they need to have regular meetings. If WGs want anything publicised, then can email stuff to Dai.
Nick B said that the Publications WG could take on publicising the work of other WGs.
Ryan said that WGs could also pass on stuff to the Web WG.

Bulletin Board
Alex said that the BB is addictive. It is an amazing method of communication. Mostly WG mods posting. You can sign up, get account, can read and post. Alex will take names of
people interested, and sign people up.
Shannon explained how to sign up. Each WG has a forum and posts minutes. Now we have WGs, much less discussion is on private forum - reserved for money/legal matters.
Nick said that we should make it clear that anyone can get involved - not too exclusive.
Sean thought there could be a sign up sheet in the kitchen.
Nill responded that there would be a privacy issue with people's email addresses being visible.
Alex wanted to emphasise that Forest is changing, becoming more inclusive. People should bring this up in conversations. Want more local people too.
Kim asked about the Forest committee - how does it fit in?
Nick explained that Forest committee doesn't exist anymore. There is a Forest WG for
money issues and policy direction.
Shannon explained that the Forest WG doesn't meet very often as most things are decided by the other WGs. With all these WGs, people can see how to get involved, so the decision making process is less secretive.
Nick B was pleased to see that things are more transparent, with less stuff being hidden, and less to hide perhaps too.
Shannon explained that if you have been a core WG member (mod) for 3 months you can attend the Forest WG. We want to make it open, but also prevent a hostile takeover, or
have time wasters and annoying people from coming.

Mural
Nick B wanted to discuss the mural on the far wall in the cafe.
Bill said that CIA Nights (Forest magazine) wanted to redo the mural for issue 100.
Nick B has never liked the mural - the heads mainly.
Shannon defended Mikey, saying that those were just the photos he had to hand at the time.
Sean was up for doing something now.
Shannon said that there was a procedure where artists are given the opportunity to record their work before it gets covered up. Mikey would be given a week to come in and photograph the mural.
Alex pointed out that if you want to change appearance of Forest, you should get involved with the Front of House (FoH) or Visual Arts (VA) WGs.
Shannon explained that FoH has responsibility for the downstairs murals, but the VA WG is responsible for the big mural, though it should also go through the Forest WG as it affects everyone.
Bill said that the VA WG will open suggestions for a new mural. A couple of artists might be better than too many producing a homogenous thing. Not everyone will like it, but more people might like it.
Nick B asked about the monthly grants.
Shannon said that a grant deadline coming up, and also that the charitable status of the Forest was being worked on.
Ryan said that the Forest will be an unofficial Fringe venue for theatre, comedy etc. Have 2 weeks of shows.

Moving things into a better place procedure
Alex wanted everyone to know that if they had a problem with something or someone, they could come to him in confidence.