distro

Jane

distro

Post by Jane » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:38 pm

list here distro companies/promotion ideas cetera
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:24 pm

is this specifically for the seven inch?

id try stores like mono in ggow, analogue in embra and i guess avanlanche

advertise it as a series "the first in a 4rest split 7" singles club" (get thinking about no.2). its an angle.

burn cdr, that cda in denglisch, copies (or even better send links to mp3s - that doesnt cost anything). send them to radios/(music) press.

record release party! cyber link with nyc and berlin...

theres a few really nice british online stores too which one could try as a distr. possibility e.g. boomkat.com

my beat is a forest.
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

Jane

Post by Jane » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:50 pm

As said at the meeting, add here all people we want to send copies of the record too. Get thinking, so far we are

Mono
Analog
Fopp
Avalanche

We should get a copy to OneUp in Aberdeen/

Who are our DJ friends?
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

dan

Post by dan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:58 pm

couple national distributors: baked goods, vital, http://www.bleep.com (download)

more tips: http://www.fat-cat.co.uk/DIY/
http://www.fat-cat.co.uk/DIY/resource.p ... =3#Content
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

dan

Post by dan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:26 am

* NORMAN RECORDS (online)
* AVALANCHE (Edinburgh)
* MONORAIL (Glasgow)
* PICCADILLY (Manchester)
* ONE UP (Aberdeen)
* ROUGH TRADE (London)
* RESIDENT (Brighton)
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:00 pm

from our friend - Rob St. John -

wasn't sure just who to send this to, but noticed on the bb that you guys were discussing how to promote sell the forest vinyl, so i thought i'd share a few names & addresses that i found were helpful when putting out my EP. hope they help:

Radio:

Dillon @ Simple Folk Radio – 55a Preston St , Brighton , BN1 2HE

Vic Galloway, Radio 1 Scotland - Vic Galloway.s Demo, Radio 1, BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Quay Glasgow, G51 1DA

Huw Stevens & Rob Da Bank @ Radio1 – Yalding House, 152-156 Great Portland St , London , W1N 4DJ

Stuart Maconie’s Freak Zone @ 6 Music – Room 2018, BBC Manchester, Oxford Rd , Manchester M60 1SJ

Resonance FM – Resonance 104.4FM, 144 Borough High St , London SE1 1LB

Distributors:

Normans Records (Online Shop) – Unit 1, Armley Park Centre, Stanningley Rd , Leeds , LS12 2AE

FatCat Records: Demos, FC Records, PO BOX 3400, Brighton BN1 4WG (FatCat have a Demo section on their website, where they link to people who they like but don’t have the time/money to release. I think this is cool.)

Stuart Maconie & Mark Radcliffe: BBC Manchester, Oxford Rd, Manchester M60 1SJ
Matthew Young (Songbytoad.com)

Sounds XP: 30 Somerville Rd, London, SE 20 7NA

Aesthetica: POBOX 371 York, YO23 1WL

Artrocker: 40 Dunford Rd, London N7 6EL

Unpeeled Magazine: 8 The Thorn, Guestling Thorn, East Sussex, TW35 4LU

Pennyblackmusic: John Clarkson, 17 Yeaman Place, Edinburgh, EH11 1BS

Clark Summers (blog): 21 Muriel Road, Leicester LE3 6BH

Isthismusic? POBOX 13516, Linlithgow EH49 6AS

The List: 14 High Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1TE

Plan B Magazine: Louis Patterson, Reviews Editor, 156-158 Grays Inn Rd, London, WC1x 8ED

Beat Surrender: Kevin Trotter, 77 Smithy Lane, Tingley, Wakefield, W Yorks, WF3 1QB

FACT Magazine: Simon Hampson, 90 Bonneville Gardens, London, SW4 9LE

Drowned in Sound: Alex Denney, 1 Chilworth Mews, London W2 3SG

Terrascope: Attn. Simon Lewis, Terrascope Online Reviews Editor, 63 Millers Close, Leominster, Herefordshire, HE6 8BP

Shops:

* Avalanche (Edinburgh & Glasgow) – will take 5 on SoR, taking 20%
* Elvis Shakespeare (Edinburgh) – will take 5-10 on SoR, you get 100% profit, they take 1 CD – they are good at promoting you etc.
* Mono – Glasgow, though they may stop soon
* Fopp – might take a few

Things I found worked well:

1. Make an internet site/myspace where you can download 3 or 4 tracks for free. Don’t tell anyone about it other than bloggers who you want to write something about you. The lure of free mp3s for them is often enough to prompt them to write something nice. Good ones I found are songbytoad.com, 17seconds, lotsofrandomwords, and The Daily Growl. These sites often have links to other blogs, so it’s just a matter of trawling through them, finding ones that write about similar music, and then sending the blogger a nice email with the promise of free mp3s.
2. Look at bands who have got a lot of reviews and try and find contact details for magazines/websites that have been receptive to them, yet aren’t huge (like Mojo, or the NME or whatever). These kind of reviewers are often surprisingly receptive.
3. Radio play seems pretty difficult when you’re doing it yourself.
4. Don’t send out the cd’s in full packaging…I made 20 ‘promo’ copies with handmade packaging, which saved loads of money

Hope that helps,

best,
rob

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Sat May 03, 2008 4:13 pm

What! mono may stop soon? i cant have that...
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.