Online bookings

Gaz

Online bookings

Post by Gaz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:01 pm

And lo! They did buildeth some kind of worldwide online events bookings calendar thingy, so all and sundry could arrange their performance withouteth too much bother and everyone was happy evermore.

That's the prophecy.

So how can we make it happen?
James is going to write some code I believe...is that right?

What should the online form include and how will it work ideally?

What would you like to see this techno-doodle do?
the more you think, the more you stink

Gaz

Suggestions

Post by Gaz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:22 pm

You should be able to see the calendar to see what events are on - both as a potential performer and as audience member.

You should have to fill in an online form with specific fields if you want to do a performance. These would be mandatory:
Name of act *
Contact name
Description of act *
Email
Telephone
Weblinks if available *
Time and date *

The ones with * should be viewable to all on the calendar.

Anymore?

The application has to be approved by events person before being confirmed and put on the calendar. When put on the calendar the performer gets an email to confirm all is good.

Maybe the acts for today could also go on to fill in some sort of daily billboard - "what's on today" on the front page or something...

Is something like this possible/any good?
What problems might arise?

Fils d'Abeille

Post by Fils d'Abeille » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:50 pm

You've got most of the important things. It could be nice to warn them that they are responsible for technical requirements on the night etc. Maybe direct them towards those that can potentially help set up PA etc. Half the bands coming in when I'm around look lost trying desperately to find someone to hook them up. This can be avoided right?[/i]

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:49 pm

could we send an automated email suggesting they make a poster / and ways to get it on the front page?

if things were co-ordinated properly, they could go to the sound section of the calanger / bb and book a sound man? or could contact j & e themselves. dai and i have not figured this one out. but, yes, an automated email with rules etc. would be really handy. it would also say : YOUR GIG IS NOT YET CONFIRMED. It will be soon as an events manager gets back to you....
r

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:43 pm

nice one....this should definately increase the amount of people using the BB!!
It's like God's vagina!

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:48 pm

Yeah maybe 2 automated emails...

One saying thanks for the booking application, not yet confirmed etc...please wait..etc.

Second saying it's been confirmed, make yourself a poster, tell yer friends, contact the sounds guys and so on.

Are any techy people reading this thread and thinking it's possible/impossible?

Help!

Martin

Post by Martin » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:27 am

It's a pretty straightforward job.

swithun

Post by swithun » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:53 am

'Description of the act' should include whether they intend to be super loud.

This is a cool development. But KMs and NMs will have to remember to check the calendar so that they can answer questions and be knowledgeable. Until we bring the kitchen on line, at least.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:16 pm

Virtual burritos. I can't wait.

beev

Post by beev » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:31 pm

Martin wrote:It's a pretty straightforward job.
If you did it you would be forever idolised...

beev

Post by beev » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm

To clarify, this is how the thing would ideally work:

1. user goes to event booking webpage & sees a list of requirements that reads something like: first you need to fill out this form with all the details of your event. all fields are necessary. once you have submitted the form, the details you have entered will be checked. this does not mean your event is booked. you should wait until you receive a confirmation email from the events team. blah de blah...

2. user fills out form. if any fields are missed or not filled properly, the user will be prompted to get it right.

3. when the right details have been entered, user receives on-screen (or maybe email, or both) message that booking is not yet confirmed, but they will be emailed when it is.

4. details of proposed event are automatically emailed to events team

5. events team can edit stored event details if necessary. when all is cool, they can click on confirm and the details will automatically be added to the events programme, displayed on another page on the site.

6. when the event is confirmed, an auto email goes out to the event organiser, telling them it is confirmed and explaining what they should do to make it amazing.

7. events programme should automatically display the events for the coming week on the front page of the site.

I think that's about it. Gaz?

Maybe we could do this as a kind of open source project...
Gaz has access to the insides of the forest site. Pogo knows how it all works. Swithun knows stuff. James maybe also. I have some basic experience of html and php. And Martin is some kind of technical god. Can we make it happen?

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:00 pm

it would be a dream!

also, however, it should like to a clanader so folk can see if the date they are booking is taken already.

also, the events team ought only have to click Yes or No when they see the event.

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:42 pm

Does this need user accounts for regular users? Does it need to be integrated with the BB? Or is it just a standalone thing?

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:40 am

no need for accounts. i can't see any advantage in that.
all people have to do is write their name, email and phone number each time which is not too much to ask.
also should be completely separate from the bb i think.

if you build it they will come!